Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2020, 11:01 PM   #1
Ziggster

Default C59A Oil filtration circuit question

As I get closer to getting my engine completed, among numerous things, I started looking into the external oil filtration circuit. As the engine was in pieces when I purchased it, I have no idea how the oil filtration circuitry is supposed to be put together. My block has three openings on the bell housing, which from what little I've read seems to suggest a "full flow" oil filtration system. This would probably make sense, but I also have a threaded boss on my oil pan. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (41.1 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by Ziggster; 12-19-2020 at 11:15 PM.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:07 PM   #2
Ziggster

Default Re: C59A Oil filtration circuit question

Damn. It won't let me upload my pics...
Old 12-19-2020, 11:11 PM   #3
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
Damn. It won't let me upload my pics...
Try to reduce file size
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:13 PM   #4
Ziggster

My block...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.1 KB, 75 views)
Old 12-19-2020, 11:14 PM   #5
Ziggster

My oil pan with "extra" boss...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 12-19-2020, 11:14 PM   #6
Ziggster

I think the problem had to with trying to load pics from one of my albums.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:27 PM   #7
Will D

Im no expert, this is how my C59A was when I bought it. Not sure if its correct but it seems to work just fine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201219_202051_resized_1.jpg (33.9 KB, 243 views)
Old 12-20-2020, 12:27 AM   #8
Ziggster

Ok. That's great. Thanks. I guess I'll need to verify if the "grub screw" is located in the internal horizontal passage. I kinda doubt it and think it would have been along what you have. I did find some oil hoses and a hard line, so I'll see if it can be mocked up as per your sketch.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:57 AM   #9
ford38v8

Ziggster, your block can be set up either with a full flow or a bypass system. The image you loaded in post #1 is full flow, and the line drawing that Will D. loaded in post #7 is a bypass.

The grub screw shown in your image must be removed if you want a bypass, and the top inboard tapped hole needs to be plugged. In comparing blocks, you'll see that Canadian blocks had that 3rd hole, while American blocks did not. The oil pan is the return location for your block, while earlier returns were either to the fuel pump stand or the distributor, through a hollow mounting bolt.

In deciding which system to use, consider first that modern detergent oil is far better than any oil available in the flathead era, in that it keeps impurities in circulation to be filtered out, while the original non detergent oil permitted impurities to settle overnight, becoming sludge in the pan and in the lifter ledges. There was no authorized oil filter accessory until 1936, which meant that settling out the impurities was a good thing for that reason, allowing a longer period between oil changes.

To compare the two systems, know that a bypass system will filter smaller particles than a full flow, without dropping the oil pressure. In addition, contrary to intuition, a bypass will filter close to 100% of all the oil in about 15 minutes driving time. It is for these two reasons that I am firmly opposed to converting a flathead to full flow filtration.

You will no doubt get opposing views on the subject, but in the end, it's your choice, including no oil filter at all. The one thing we all will agree on is the need to change oil (and filter) often and regularly.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:37 AM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The diagram shown in #7 will work fine IF there is NOT a grub screw installed in the horizontal oil passage. There also needs to be a restrictor installed in the intel to the filter canister (.060).

What is shown in post #1 is a totally different setup!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:26 AM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Zigg and Will .....Since both of you have "C59A" blocks, they are both "Canadian" blocks which have THREE threaded oil holes at the rear, rather than only TWO holes on USA blocks. You've gotta be careful how you plumb these things. Will.....I was very surprised to see you using the "return" orifice for your "supply" to the filter can. Maybe both of you can garner a little more info on these Canadian oil systems by reading the thread in the link below. There is a LOT of info available with pics and diagrams if you use the "SEARCH" function above in the BLACK band. Type something like "Canadian oil filter", or "Canadian oil system" for your search. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...an+oil+filters

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:25 AM   #12
Ziggster

Thanks for the link @V8Coopman. For sure I'll be doing more reading. I did some research a while back when I had the engine at the shop over a year ago, and just found several pics I had saved on the oiling system on my iPad.
I also just ordered and received the "Ford Flathead Engines How to Rebuild & Modify" book by Tony Thacker and Mike Herman. I did so hoping it might cover additional essential details as being discussed here, but it does not unfortunately. Even the bigger and better book (IMHO) "Ford Flathead V-8 Engines How to Rebuild & Modify" by Mike Bishop and Vern Tardel skips over what I would consider a lot of "essential" info including again this topic. Rant over. Lol!
Old 12-20-2020, 10:44 AM   #13
Will D

Post Re: C59A Oil filtration circuit question

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

Zigg and Will .....Since both of you have "C59A" blocks, they are both "Canadian" blocks which have THREE threaded oil holes at the rear, rather than only TWO holes on USA blocks. You've gotta be careful how you plumb these things. Will.....I was very surprised to see you using the "return" orifice for your "supply" to the filter can. Maybe both of you can garner a little more info on these Canadian oil systems by reading the thread in the link below. There is a LOT of info available with pics and diagrams if you use the "SEARCH" function above in the BLACK band. Type something like "Canadian oil filter", or "Canadian oil system" for your search. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...an+oil+filters
Surprised - as was I. I haven't thought much about the oil system as that's how it was when i bought it. Will be looking into it more as yes, it struck me odd using the "return" as the "supply once I saw ziggsters drawing in post#1. Thanks for the link Dick.

Just another detail that would have gone unnoticed if not for the Barn. Just like discovering last week from a "wind noise" thread, my weather seal was installed incorrectly on the door top edge instead of on the cab/frame. Didn't hardly seal at all.... looking forward to quieter rides.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

OK guys, what are we confusing here??? It is all the same port! There is not a return port unless further modifications are made to the block, it is three holes tapped into the same passage.

In the case of the original Canadian oil filter/oil cooler setup a special fitting was inserted into the vertical passageway to block the flow through the horizonal passage. THEN the third opening was used as a return port to the oil system. If the fitting is removed, then all three ports are connected and there is no "return" port.

Same goes with the so called "95%" external filter modification, a grub is inserted into the horizonal passage way again blocking it and THEN the third port is used as a "return" port.

Without one of these modifications all three ports are connected, one is the same as the other. So referring to the third port as a "return" port seems very confusing to me, any of the three ports could be used for a by-pass filter connection or an oil pressure sensor connection or just plugged if not need.

The arrangement shown in post #7 will work just fine and looks like a slick setup to me.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #15
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
OK guys, what are we confusing here??? It is all the same port! There is not a return port unless further modifications are made to the block, it is three holes tapped into the same passage.
My point, possibly poorly-stated, was that if a guy didn't know about that GRUB SCREW, or whether or not to check to see if one was installed in his engine, things COULD possibly turn ugly, especially with the possible misunderstanding of the 3-hole Canadian applications. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #16
Ziggster

Thanks guys. This now makes sense, and would explain why I have the oil return boss on my oil pan. I'll verify if I have the "grub screw" in a few days when I'm done with blasting parts in my cabinet.

Last edited by Ziggster; 12-20-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
Thanks guys. This now makes sense, and would explain why I have the oil return boss on my oil pan. I'll verify of I have the "grub screw" in a few days when I'm done with blasting parts in my cabinet.
Unless you are wanting to do the 95% modification (which does not have a return to the oil pan), you DO NOT want there to be a grub screw. You want to check to insure there is not one. That may be what you were saying, but just to be sure, a mistake in this area can be catastrophic.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:11 PM   #18
Ziggster

Yep. I'll check to make sure there is NO "grub screw".
Old 12-20-2020, 10:16 PM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Ziggster, sorry to beat a dead horse on this, but more than one experienced engine builder has destroyed an engine with a mistake in this area. It can really trip you up. Sounds like you've got it under control.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:32 PM   #20
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Ziggster, sorry to beat a dead horse on this, ....

I think quite a number of dead horses have been beaten on the barn, but there's always the few old timers and lots and lots of Newbies that never got the word till we beat 'em one more time.