Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
Ford coupe

Default oil filter

What no is the spin on motorcraft filter for a 272 with adapter plate installed..Are they available..THNKS
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: oil filter

Fl1- a
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
Daves55Sedan

I use the Fram PH8A spin-on oil filter, not because it's the best, it probably isn't, but the Fram filters are in abundance at most of the local chain auto parts stores around here.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
Dobie Gillis

I wouldn't put a Fram on a lawn mower...
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
54vicky

I am with Dobie on that.do a search
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
Sid

Wix 51515 available at most parts stores. Very good filter. I think the motorcraft version is a FL1A.

Last edited by Sid; 10-17-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
Crankster

"NAPA gold" 51515 is made by WIX, I was going to mention that.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #8
Ole Don

FL1A is correct. If its going on a passenger car, the FL400 is easier to install because it is a bit smaller and will fit between the tie rods and the frame and the clutch linkage.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
willowbilly3

I know of at least 3 others that fit. One longer, one shorter and one smaller in diameter. I have to run the short ones on my 260 but would have to go look at the Wix ##
We used to get the ones from AMC because they were thought to have a higher bypass. but that's not much help nowdays.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #10
Ford coupe

THANKS GUYS ..I WANT THE MOTORCRAFT AS I WAS UP AGAINST A NICE 55 A COUPLE YRS AGO AT A CAR SHOW AND GOT SECOND SO I ASKED ONE OF THE JUDGES HOW COME THE GUY BEAT ME AND HE SAID TO TAKE THAT fRAM FILTER OFF AND INSTALL A MOTOR CRAFT AND YOU WOULD HAVE WON..Probably bs BUT?? tHANKS AGAIN fORD cOUPE
Old 10-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
scicala

The judge at the show should have said to make it correct, to put on the original steel canister with the center bolt and a filter cartridge. I don't think 272's were buitl after 1957, and didn't think spin on filters we used by Ford yet.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #12
Ford coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
The judge at the show should have said to make it correct, to put on the original steel canister with the center bolt and a filter cartridge. I don't think 272's were buitl after 1957, and didn't think spin on filters we used by Ford yet.
Sal you are correct
Sal
Sal you are correct I believe..But I presume you know a kit can be installed on them so you can use the spin on type...THNKS
Old 10-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #13
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post

Sal
Yep. If the Judge is being picky enough to score your car 'not as correct' because of the brand of oil filter he should have known that a spin-on filter of any brand isn't original on an early Y-block, and scored that item more equally for both cars.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: oil filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

Yep. If the Judge is being picky enough to score your car 'not as correct' because of the brand of oil filter he should have known that a spin-on filter of any brand isn't original on an early Y-block, and scored that item more equally for both cars.
The adapter kit (cartridge to spin-on) is still available- B7A 6882-A

MOTORCRAFT

FL-1A is the full size filter
FL-300 is the same diameter but shorter
FL-400 is the small canister

I imagine you guys know this but repros are available decorated in ROTUNDA and AUTOLITE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B7A 6882-A _3.jpg (61.8 KB, 106 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #15
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
The adapter kit (cartridge to spin-on) is ..... B7A 6882-A .....
With a B7A part number would that mean it became available in '57, wasn't available in '54-'56 ?
Ford coupe mentioned his 272 equipped car being *up against a '55* so I was assuming pre-'57.

(trying to salvage some dignity from my previous 'not on early Y-blocks' reply)

Isn't the oem bolt-on canister filter a 'full flow' style filter???
Meaning; all the output of the oil pump goes thru the filter. Many early/earlier engines had 'bypass' style oil filters. There was a separate oil passage to the filter that filtered just a portion of the total oil flow at any given time.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-03-2018 at 05:55 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #16
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

With a "B7A" part number would that mean it wasn't available in '54 - '56?

Ford coupe mentioned his 272 equipped car being *up against a '55* so I was assuming pre-'57.

(trying to salvage some dignity from my previous 'not on early Y-blocks' reply)

Isn't the oem bolt-on canister filter a 'full flow' style filter???

Meaning; all the output of the oil pump goes thru the filter.

Many early/earlier engines had 'bypass' style oil filters. There was a separate oil passage to the filter that filtered just a portion of the total oil flow at any given time.
Well, No.1, you need not to salvage any dignity as you are most knowledgeable and I have learned quite a bit from you even though I am an old SOB...

I too thought all came through with cartridge style and couldn't remember for the life of me any different until one day I was reading old sales literature. At that point it finally dawned on me why I used to see those with and without.

The B7A is 1957 release but the Basic PN 6882 tells it is a kit rather than actual individual service parts. It made for an easier changeover without having to look-up/locate all the different service parts.

I remember very well the old days of cartridge oil filters and oil bath air cleaners and what a pain they were (My early days were as a Refueling Engineer/Technician).

And yes, during this period, both styles are free flow. The MPC shows the 1957 V8 as the last year for cartridge for PASS CAR, although the cartridge style was picked up again in the early sixties.

And my response was not meant to correct or rag on anyone. Maybe my personal skills need working on ...

OH! Did you see on the Option List a Oil Bath AC?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Filter - Cartridge Type _1.jpg (29.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Filter - Cartridge Type _2.jpg (22.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Oiling System _1.jpg (38.9 KB, 7 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #17
packrat5
BANNED

Ah yes, the old oil filter controversy, also includes oil types, and spark plugs. What fun you can have getting into this cesspool of knowledge. My nickels worth, (no 2 cents here) is use a Motorcraft. Not that it should mean anything, I personally use it on all my cars, and so do both my of sons. We own a hodgepodge of vehicles, a Santa Fe, Tracker, some gm stuff, and a smattering of Fords. When #1 son took in his 14 Cruze for warranty work, I made him take off the Motorcraft and save it, and install a Delco with EXACTLY the correct oil level, he did it, but was doubtful. Afterward, I asked him if they looked at the filter, and he replied that was the first thing they studied before they worked on the engine. (warranty) he reinstalled the Motorcraft later, and kept the Delco for his next visit. I guess you can't blame them, with all the discount crap out there today. Purolator, and Wix were always good good choices also, but both have recently been bought out by a huge German filter outfit (Mann-Hummel). Both Wix, and Purolator are now different, and I haven't been able to determine which filter survived the merger, and if maybe they combined the best of each worlds. Contrary to what most people believe, the name on the filter means nothing, as many brands are made by few manufacturers. I love the guys who pay big bucks for some brands of filters, (I won't name them) when they are usually made by Champ, which makes many brands. (Motorcraft for one) Fram, the ever present POS can be bought everywhere, from the chain stores, to lumber yards, toy stores, baby goods stores, etc. (Just kidding on the last few, maybe not) Delco shops around and is ALWAYS the most cheaply made of any brand it chooses. Also, there is the unstoppable issue with chinese copies of them which GM dealers sometimes sell as OEM. (big trouble for them if they are found in their inventory from GM)
I have to refind this old website that really will open a lot of eyes, It may be gone now as Fram took him to court to stop him from "bad mouthing their fine products" I would call it more like good journalism.

Last edited by packrat5; 11-01-2017 at 03:48 PM.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #18
packrat5
BANNED

Found it. It has been "revised" to not say anything about Fram. It's www.minimopar.net click on "engines" and scroll down to lubrication, and enjoy yourself. The section on oil is good also.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #19
raceron1120

I sold Motorcraft for many years when working in dealerships and won't use anything but them in our Fords (that's all we have!) - filters, plugs, etc. FL1As are available nearly anyplace, even WalMart usually has them too.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #20
Motorhead6

The filter is used in a horizontal position. The Motorcraft filter has superior checking ability to keep the oil in the filter when sitting over night. I found out the hard way and almost pulled a 302 out for a rebuild because the mains rattled like crazy at start up using a Fram filter. An old mechanic told me to try the Motorcraft just to see if it would solve the problem. Saved myself a lot of work and money.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote