Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
wmws
BANNED

Default Painted with a brush

My car looks like it was painted with a brush many years ago. I like it that way and many other people tell me not to change a thing. But the main reason I like it that way is the fact that when I am working on it, which I love to do, I don't have to be worried about scratching something. Drop a wrench on the fender, no big deal. A little oil, gas or antifreeze on the paint, so what. When I'm working on it I always am thinking boy I'm glad I don't have to be really careful. Anyone else feel this way? Or if your car has beautiful paint do you worry while working on it?
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Painted with a brush

i think a paint brush finish decreases the beauty of the classic car and definitely the value. Paint brush finishes are like whitewalls, many people don't line whitewalls because they can't afford them. That is also the reason people don't like professional paint jobs, because they can't afford them. IMHO. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
foxfire42

Yep! I'm with you. I've been known to be clumsy so I often add to my A's character. I also have one that I use extreme caution when working on her.

Last edited by foxfire42; 10-30-2016 at 02:20 PM.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
ronn

I'm with you WM-all of my cars have bad paint and that is fine with me.

A paint job today is worth another car in the stall, though I dont really need even one more!

It's all about the mechanics and music to my ears, for me.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
Kurt in NJ

Bags of sackrete fit on the runningboard good---if you just carry 8 the doors still open too
Only recently now that the paint is looking bad do I get compliments on the car
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
ursus

I remember watching a guy brush paint a car many years ago and it turned out surprisingly well. It is kind of a lost art although it is still a common DIY method on boat hulls and decks, using the "tip and roll" method. This involves applying paint with a short polyfoam roller and then using a fine "tipping brush" to smooth over the roller marks immediately afterward, doing one section at a time. The newer paints work well in this method and are available with UV-light blocking additives. I have watched others do it on boats and have thought of using the method on my driver coupe.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #7
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

keep us informed if you go for the DIY brush paint job, with pictures and paint type. Thanks
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #8
pgerhardt

Different strokes for different folks.

Then there are those like me who refinished my running board splash shields twice before I got them them done to my standards (picture 1). Picture two is my running board splash shield as reflected in the rear fender!

I would like to dispel the myth that if you have a nice car you won't want to use it. When my 29 tudor is done it WILL be used. Not for pulling stumps, but for touring, shows, errands around town, and just plain fun driving. Like I said, "different strokes for different folks". Some like the "Grapes of Wrath" look, while other strive to get their A's into "as new" condition. There is room for both in the hobby.

I have just one pet peeve. Unless your model A is a never restored survivor, don't claim to be maintaining its "patina"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 4.08.54 PM.jpg (42.3 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 4.07.15 PM.jpg (25.4 KB, 157 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:37 PM   #9
[email protected]

I once used Navy Blue Rustoleum with a small roller on 28 Woody huckster that I was going to use as a working truck. Tractor black enamel with hardener on the fenders. It came out OK and when I buffed it out later with 3M Finesse It, it looked great. My idea was if I ever needed to fix a scratch I could just spray it with a off the shelf spray can. I sold it so I can not vouch for how it has held up over time but I bet it hasn't rusted any....
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #10
DJ S

What fun is a car if you don't improve it to something you're proud of?
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
Different strokes for different folks.

Then there are those like me who refinished my running board splash shields twice before I got them them done to my standards (picture 1). Picture two is my running board splash shield as reflected in the rear fender!

I would like to dispel the myth that if you have a nice car you won't want to use it. When my 29 tudor is done it WILL be used. Not for pulling stumps, but for touring, shows, errands around town, and just plain fun driving. Like I said, "different strokes for different folks". Some like the "Grapes of Wrath" look, while other strive to get their A's into "as new" condition. There is room for both in the hobby.

I have just one pet peeve. Unless your model A is a never restored survivor, don't claim to be maintaining its "patina"!
I agree with the patina statement. Kinda like I hate whitewalls when in fact can't afford them. Wayne
Old 10-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

Painted one in the late 50's with rustoleum and a brush. Another with a vacuum cleaner hooked to blow thru a paint bottle spraygun. Both came out pretty good.
paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:47 PM   #13
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
keep us informed if you go for the DIY brush paint job, with pictures and paint type. Thanks

Google roller car paint job or some such - lotsa websites and YouTube vids on it. Here's a couple to get you started:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-...get-paint-job/

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html

Cheap but labor intensive, although some pretty awesome results can be had with enough elbow grease.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Painted one in the late 50's with rustoleum and a brush. Another with a vacuum cleaner hooked to blow thru a paint bottle spraygun. Both came out pretty good.
paul in CT
Sounds like the first HVLP paint system.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #15
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Have finally and at last what at this point in my life is probably the ideal Model A Ford automobile. The very late 1931/32 Tudor sedan has what can be best described at a "survivor" body. There is a very old lousy enamel paint job that looks to have been applied over the original black lacquer. That over finish had long ago cracked and peeled but was brush touched up in spots over the decades since. These days, a person would need to pay big bucks for a specialty custom shop do such a perfect "shabby chic" paint finish on a car like this. The best part of this sordid situation is that the previous owner had soup to nuts restored the chassis and drive train of this Model A Ford to a high standard. The undercarriage is black and shiny looking like NEW. Even the brake drums and rear springs are in mint condition. It's kinda like driving a brand new 1931 Ford tudor sedan with a shabby edge to it.

Within the past few days, did some "brush" touch up in spots around the windshield. Find that spraying some rattle can paint into a glass bowl provides small amounts of perfectly mixed liquid for quick touch up jobs. Usually apply two coats by allowing the first to set for awhile. When dry, the brush marks, if there, are pretty much invisible.

Have no worries at all about driving that 85-year old car or sustaining a few more bumps and abrasions. The more dirt and grime it collects the better it looks. From 87 to 112 feet away . . . who's to know?

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 10-30-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #16
jb-ob

Default Re: Another Brush Story.....

I'm fussy about my striping & lettering brushes so if I have the opportunity, I stop at Andrew Mack & Sons in Jonesville Mi. & hand pick.

The owner told me of a phone call he had asking "What was the largest brush they made?"

"We make many different kinds, what do you wish to paint?"

"My car."

"Why would you want to paint a car with a brush?"

"Because that was how it was done in 1902".
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #17
C26Pinelake
BANNED

It is amazing how many reasons or excuses people can find to support a horrible paint job. I don't know a single person who would not like a good looking paint job, not professional maybe but at least good that people don't make fun of. Patina us the joke of every day. Wayne.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #18
CarlG

I have found that the easiest "touch-up" on the black parts (fenders, etc) is with a black paint pen. It's like a Sharpie, but has paint instead of ink. Not in anyway perfect, but hides pock marks and scratches acceptably.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #19
asapguy

A friend that was restoring two 31 S/W fordors at the same time he brushed on primer in certain areas & then block sanded smooth. He was very much a perfectionist even down to machining his own thick headed bolts. In the teens & early 20's many cars were painted at the factory with a brush & then sanded & polished to a high gloss.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #20
TerryH

I think it's great that our hobby/interest has a place for all types of owners. When I decided to buy another Model A about 10 years ago, I spent lots of time looking for the right car. I had an unrestored 1930 Coupe right out of high school in 1964, and knew that I wanted a nicer, like new restored Model A. I was extremely fortunate to have found a very well restored (mechanically & cosmetically) 1930 Town Sedan, and I drive it several times a week in busy Southern California traffic, including stop and go as well as freeways. I run errands to the post office, Costco, and shopping centers all the time. I am a little careful where I park, but I certainly do not constantly worry about the car. It has a beautiful paint job, and I enjoy washing and waxing it......I happen to like a shiny car. Many have asked why I do not show it.....simple, I have no interest or desire to show it, and it certainly will never be a "trailer queen". I agree....there seems to be some thought that if you have a nice car, than you won't be able to drive or enjoy it much. I drive mine lots and I have to drive it pretty hard to keep up with traffic here; after 10 years, I don't regret my decision one bit.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote