Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
jacob smith

Default Thermostat

I have 2 different manufactures after market nos thermostat one opens at 180 the other 175. Is it ok to use the in together in my 36 ford
Old 02-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Thermostat

Well, as a data point a lot of flatheads run at different temperatures side to side anyway!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:49 PM   #3
jacob smith

Good point did not think of it that way
Old 02-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #4
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Well, as a data point a lot of flatheads run at different temperatures side to side anyway!
That is correct. I know from personal experience that the thermostats on any of our flatheads do not open up at the same time (side to side).
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Blu Dice

I've had 3 pair fail after a short time, so I removed the guts of the last pair - of course the motor doesn't heat up as it should now and it gets pretty cold here. I try to drive my car as much as possible, but like today it's just too cold - who's makes the best thermostat now days? I've got Auto Zone, O'Reilly, Advance Auto, NAPA, and a couple of local stores to choose from.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
sidevalve8ba

"who's makes the best thermostat now days? I've got Auto Zone, O'Reilly, Advance Auto, NAPA, and a couple of local stores to choose from."

I used to think that Robertshaw and Stant made the best thermostats but I understand Robertshaw is out of the business and I am not sure about the quality of the Stant product at the present time. Seems like so many of the brands I used to rely upon have changed quality-wise.

Last edited by sidevalve8ba; 02-13-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added quotation marks
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
19Fordy

Just as a side note. Here's some interesting thermostat info. from the 49-51 Mercury Manuals. Notice when they start to open and when they are fully open. Click on photo to enlarge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6614.jpg (69.3 KB, 83 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #8
Blu Dice

The last set I put in were Stants - failed miserably.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #9
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Dice View Post
I've had 3 pair fail after a short time, so I removed the guts of the last pair - of course the motor doesn't heat up as it should now and it gets pretty cold here. I try to drive my car as much as possible, but like today it's just too cold - who's makes the best thermostat now days? I've got Auto Zone, O'Reilly, Advance Auto, NAPA, and a couple of local stores to choose from.
Contact Bob Shewman he makes the best stats for in the hoses and for the later gooseneck engines. He uses the old Robertshaw type and modifies them.
His stats have very little restriction and provide almost a full flow of coolant.
Contact Bob by phone 1-610-933-6637 or [email protected] G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thermostat 5 . jpg.jpg (29.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 02-13-2016, 05:13 PM   #10
Darrell S

I just installed new water pumps and hoses on my 48. I ordered the new thermostats as I figured it was time for a replacement. Old Henry recommended the Napa THM111 170 degree thermostats so I installed them instead of the ones that came from C&G. Everything is buttoned up and running now, all seems well. I hope they continue to work.

Interesting point about the old ones I took out. The car is a Canadian build, came to the states in 1970. The previous owner who bought the car in 1970 from Canada had
Sears rebuild the engine then and it hasn't been torn down since. Anyway the thermostats I took out say SF Canada on them and are 160 degrees. It appears they were reinstalled when the rebuilt engine was put in. I checked them on the stove with a thermometer and they start opening around 150 and are all the way open at 160. I"d say that is pretty darned good for parts that old. I'm keeping them for spares in case the new ones fail.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #11
Old Henry

The best thermostat that I have found for the 59A engine is the Stant 14157 thermostat sold on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Stant-14157-Th...157+thermostat

Here are the studies I did to reach that conclusion:

Comparing Stant thermostats to the modern replacements: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...=113366&page=2

Comparing Stant thermostats to Shewman's thermostat: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143576

NAPA also sells as part number THM 111, O'Reilly sells as a Murray 4157, O'Reilly part number 2962.

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-30-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #12
jacob smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
The best thermostat for the 59A engine is the Stant 14157 thermostat sold on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Stant-14157-Th...157+thermostat

Here are the studies to prove it:

Comparing Stant thermostats to the modern replacements: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...=113366&page=2

Comparing Stant thermostats to Shewman's thermostat: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143576
G
NAPA also sells as part number THM 111, O'Reilly sells as a Murray 4157, O'Reilly part number 2962.
Old Henry

Any idea what thermostat are best for the 32 to 36 flatheads. I have been buying NOS thermostat for my 36 but the cost is high
Old 02-14-2016, 01:48 AM   #13
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob smith View Post
Old Henry

Any idea what thermostat are best for the 32 to 36 flatheads. I have been buying NOS thermostat for my 36 but the cost is high
I know of no modern replacements for the in-hose thermostats used in the 32-36. Fortunately, I see that stock NOS ones are still available on eBay. I don't think Ford's bellows and flap mechanism has ever been improved upon. If you can get a pair that works right (tested before installation) I think you've struck it rich. I certainly would not recommend Shewman's stats in any hose. Here's why: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112889 starting at post # 85.

Last edited by Old Henry; 02-14-2016 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
I know of no modern replacements for the in-hose thermostats used in the 32-36. Fortunately, I see that stock NOS ones are still available on eBay. I don't think Ford's bellows and flap mechanism has ever been improved upon. If you can get a pair that works right (tested before installation) I think you've struck it rich. I certainly would not recommend Shewman's stats in any hose. Here's why: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112889 starting at post # 85.
I am definitely not a lawyer, BUT... in my humble opinion, on the bases of limited, uncertified testing, and testing that is not documented by an officially certified test agency, these claims made on a public forum may not stand up very well if challenged in a court of law, but then again this is just my opinion, and you being a lawyer, probably know this already.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #15
Old Henry

Some seem to think I have a "horse in the race" regarding thermostats. I don't. It doesn't matter to me what thermostat anyone uses or if they use any at all. I am just a person that drives my car higher, lower, in hotter and colder weather than anyone that has discussed thermostats so far and was just looking for a better thermostat to use under such extreme circumstances, not trying to prove or sell anything like another is doing. In my search for the best all around, all season, all altitude and all temperature thermostat it appears that I have done more studying, more measurements and calculations of flow, and more real life testing of thermostats than any I've seen on this forum in the five years that I've been on it. In all of that research I have found what I believe is the best thermostat for my 59A engine and the extreme use I put it to. Along the way, studying, measuring, calculating, and real life testing other thermostats I have concluded that none of them work as well for my extreme uses as one in particular, which I regularly recommend, and one that is the worst I've ever seen. I try not to let my ego be a part of my recommendations and only offer them when someone asks for them without a care to their acceptance or rejection of them. And I don't just give my bare opinion, I refer them to the research, measuring, calculating, and real life testing that I've done so that they can compare that to such as anyone else has done (that I've never seen) to make their decision. That's all.

To each his own. Live and let live. No big deal. It's just a hobby. Have fun with it or don't play at all.

Last edited by Old Henry; 02-14-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:31 AM   #16
Drbrown

Some humble thoughts .... Most of us develop our preferences and decisions based on discussion, research, trial and error .... and we often need help doing that. I appreciate and respect that Old Henry and so many others here take the time and effort to test and build solutions for what satisfies their needs or goals .... and sometimes they tell us what they think works or doesn't work for them. Opinions and solutions are rarely black and white, and hopefully they open thought and debate before we make up our own minds.

These forum discussions are of priceless value to those of us who need information and advice. I like to think I can do this or that, but in the end I often do my tasks (at least) twice before I'm satisfied with the outcome.

In the end I don't think I'd mind changing my thermostats four times .... better than rebuilding my tranny or banjo twice. Good to value what things in life are more serious than others. Me, I want 180's and Smitty's on my casket.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #17
flatford8

Well said..... My casket is going to have two 94's nailed to the top of it..... And blackwalls on the side... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #18
qickkenny

Hi Guys, can we talk 1939 60 HP thermostats. I have looked in Macs catalog, and they sell them. Just wondering if anyone has used Macs thermostats?
qickkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:20 PM   #19
Drbrown

I have Stant's and they work fine. Tested before installation, they both opened at the same apparent temperature.

Personally, I would not be concerned about installing a pair of thermostats that differ in manufacturer and are tested to confirm that they open within 5 or 7 degree difference.

Last edited by Drbrown; 02-26-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #20
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qickkenny View Post
Hi Guys, can we talk 1939 60 HP thermostats. I have looked in Macs catalog, and they sell them. Just wondering if anyone has used Macs thermostats?
Hi Kenny, if you need thermostats for your '39 with 60hp, I may be able to help you when I get back.
Hopefully, some of the guys with 60 HP engines in their '37 to '40 vehicles can post some technical info on what their experience is and what they use.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote