Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #21
Karl Wescott

Default Re: 1932 serial number starts with D5

First, serial numbers and VIN numbers are not the same thing, though a serial number is most often the VIN. Each state can issue its own VIN.

Now for speculation... "DR" for a "Dealer Replacement" of the transmission?
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #22
DavidG

Karl,

With respect, in the year in question in Ford's case, all three phrases are equal, engine/transmission number, serial number, and VIN (although the acronym likely did not exist at the time).
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #23
evobuilder

Well, if DavidG doesn't know about be ellusive (aka rumored) D 32 Frame, VIN, etc. I am going to consider it just that a rumor. The car will be here mid of next week, so I will have pics of the VIN, frame, etc. Doesn't really matter to me, I bought a really fun 32 Roadster hot rod, just love doing research when I buy a car, especially because I have never owned a 32, so lots to learn. I've owned a 27 T, 29 A, 30 A, 31 A, a couple gassers, muscle cars and a ton of motorcycles, but never a 32. Very excited!

Last edited by evobuilder; 08-18-2019 at 07:55 PM.
evobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #24
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by evobuilder View Post
Well, if DavidG doesn't know about be ellusive (aka rumored) D 32 Frame, VIN, etc. I am going to consider it just that a rumor. The car will be here mid of next week, so I will have pics of the VIN, frame, etc. Doesn't really matter to me, I bought a really fun 32 Roadster hot rod, just love doing research when I buy a car, especially because I have never owned a 32, so lots to learn. 27 T, 29 A, 30 A, 31 A, a couple gassers, and muscle cars, but never a 32.
Be sure you can find a legitimate number on the frame or door jam that matches the title document or you will have a problem with the DMV. I hope you have seen the serial number with your own eyes, had someone check it, or at least a picture of it.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #25
evobuilder

full VIN check, car check, etc. done by Hagerty in person. Title matches the VINs, all is good. I am a very careful buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Be sure you can find a legitimate number on the frame or door jam that matches the title document or you will have a problem with the DMV. I hope you have seen the serial number with your own eyes, had someone check it, or at least a picture of it.

Charlie Stephens
Old 08-18-2019, 09:50 PM   #26
deuce_roadster

David, was thinking in the DMV database that may have been a possibility, not that they would have known it was an early production car, but an older assembled vehicle not a current year one. Have no idea what their Class field use is and what the letters meant, only a guess that the A could have been for assembled.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:06 PM   #27
cas3

perhaps drifting off a bit, but i have titled many wrecks here in minnesota. all states vary, but for the most part the state has the same data that we see on vanpelts wonderful site, and if you do not have real ford numbers that fit in that form, they first want to inspect it, and if they agree to a title it will have a new state issue vin number, known here as the " blue vin tag" which is an aluminum plate with blue numbers that you are supposed to rivet to the frame. it seems odd to me that hagerty would not know the ford system. best wishes
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #28
rotorwrench

The auction house likely does know but the intent is to make sure that whatever number is on the car does match the title if that was the way it was registered to the previous owner whether it is an original OEM number or not. They just need to insure that the new owner can legally transfer the title to cover their end.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #29
evobuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The auction house likely does know but the intent is to make sure that whatever number is on the car does match the title if that was the way it was registered to the previous owner whether it is an original OEM number or not. They just need to insure that the new owner can legally transfer the title to cover their end.
Not an auction house, Hagerty is an insurance company who also offers vehicle verification services to non local buyers, but yes, I agree, they just need to insure that the new owner can legally transfer the title to cover their end.

My question has really strayed away from this rumored "B" frame VIN/Serial number, but it sounds like it is just that, a rumor or story that has built up over the years.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #30
ct1932ford

My guess the state of CA. assigned that number.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #31
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
First, serial numbers and VIN numbers are not the same thing, though a serial number is most often the VIN. Each state can issue its own VIN.

Now for speculation... "DR" for a "Dealer Replacement" of the transmission?

I have to disagree with the above statement.. The original serial/vin number of a vehicle is assigned by the manufacture, and generally contains pertinent information about the factory of origin, power train and the sequential production number.

Of course the majority of us Early Ford V8 people know that the serial number on a '32-48 Ford/Merc means very little because Ford assigned the serial number to the engine/trans combo when they were built.
As to what "AE" on an old California title stands for is pure speculation. I do know that the Idaho title dated 1952 that I had for my '36 Ford when I moved to California in 1954 described my car as being a delux cpe, CA changed that to "AE"... I questioned the DMV about that and was told that, that was how they did it.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #32
tubman

If it adds any insight, when I got a Minnesota "Home-Built" title for my first "T" bucket in 1966, the VIN the state assigned "MINN 66-nnnn". There was a "re-constructed" C2 Corvette on eBay a few years ago. It was from Nebraska and had a state assigned VIN starting with "NEBR". Coincidence? or maybe a pattern?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #33
BoxCar Tom

I don't get it, why worry about the composition of the serial number? It's anything but an original car and it's certainly as far away from a numbers matching car as you can get, so why bother? It's a hot rod, an alphabet soup of parts with an alphabet VIN. For all its worth we may as well be pondering its original paint scheme? "Just saying" Just my two cents with a big smile on my face, not being harsh or hard nosed.
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #34
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The question was about the type/origins of the frame. He was asking about stores of a rare "D" series frame.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:51 PM   #35
evobuilder

correct.... my interest is really around the storied "D" frame for specs. Not for value, rarity, etc, just to understand where the origin of this so called "rare frame" is and if it's even real, myth or nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
The question was about the type/origins of the frame. He was asking about stores of a rare "D" series frame.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #36
Roger W Gerow

The serial/VIN number is a unique number assigned by the vehicle manufacturer when the vehicle is assembled. Therefore the two terms are synonymous.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #37
john stimac

Description on the title states light delivery. Could this be one of the rare sedan delivery's, and possibly LeBaron Body stamped them?
john stimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:02 PM   #38
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger W Gerow View Post
The serial/VIN number is a unique number assigned by the vehicle manufacturer when the vehicle is assembled. Therefore the two terms are synonymous.
But, since VIN stands for 'Vehicle Identification Number', do not say "VIN number", it's just VIN. Seems rather redundant to say "Vehicle Identification Number number", right?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #39
evobuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by john stimac View Post
Description on the title states light delivery. Could this be one of the rare sedan delivery's, and possibly LeBaron Body stamped them?
This is starting to make sense.... both titles have the LGHTDL designation.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #40
DavidG

It only makes sense if that's the body type of the vehicle that you are buying (which you've not mentioned in this thread).
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote