Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
Doug26T

Default Brakes question 53 Ford

The car in question has sat for the past 4 years. Owner health issues. I am helping a friend who purchased it from his aunt get it running again. How concerned do I need to be with the master cylinder and brake cylinders after setting that long? It goes with out saying I will be replacing all of the fluids, including purging and refilling the brake lines with fresh fluids. My fear is deterioration of the rubber parts and loss of brakes. It is an awful nice convertible with only 58,000 miles showing on the clock. Same owner for the past 36 years or so
Doug26T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Brakes question 53 Ford

It should be fine, but it is difficult to know how long ago the current brakes were serviced. You could start but just trying them out. Make sure the emergency brakes work as well. I wouldn't suggest 80 mph in traffic until you are familiar with the car!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
Vic Piano

Congrats to your friend on the '53 Crestline Sunliner, they are outstanding cars, I've owned mine for 43 years... I would recommend going through the brake system and changing the rubber hoses and anything else that looks questionable. Brake parts are relatively inexpensive and the best insurance.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Congrats to your friend on the '53 Crestline Sunliner, they are outstanding cars, I've owned mine for 43 years... I would recommend going through the brake system and changing the rubber hoses and anything else that looks questionable. Brake parts are relatively inexpensive and the best insurance.
Vic, what would be your suggestion on the master cylinder and/or wheel cylinders, rebuild them by just honing and replacing the rubber parts or new units? I'm not a big fan of all the off-shore brake parts currently available.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
Vic Piano

I've had good luck with wheel cylinders from NAPA, even though they are made off-shore, the same with master cylinders. You could rebuild but that's always a crap shoot depending on how long the parts have been neglected... (sitting). I always change the rubber lines after blowing out the hard lines.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
39topless

Gunk will accumulate in the wheel cylinders if sitting for along time but I don't think four years is a very long time. I would fill the master with fluid, bleed the lines and then see if the pedal feels ok (not too hard not too soft). After a few pedal pumps, look for fluid leaking from the drums and/or master cylinder. If dry, you are now set to fly.
Wish I had a friend like you to help me. Working on old cars is always more fun with a committee. Good luck and post some photos.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:32 AM   #7
Kurt in NJ

If the mastercyl is empty now it leaked---somewhere---most likely they wern't new when it was parked, at the least the drums should be pulled and a look at what is behind the outer wheel cyl boot

I just went through this on a 36 Packard, soon after purchase a wheel cyl dripped on the shoe, first he ordered from the "cheap" packard parts place in NJ---wheel cyl not properly made, then the $$ parts place got USA clys, arced new shoes, now brakes work good

It's just brakes, you only need them to stop
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
Chris

I just did the brakes on my 53 Sunliner...parts are cheap and readily available. I replaced all wheel cylinders, master cylinder and all rubber hoses. I don't like to take chances