Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
dave m

Default Bob drake waterpumps

Anybody out there using the 35-36 drake waterpumps---any good ?
dave m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
V8ER

Default Re: Bob drake waterpumps

I have Daryl Fryer's new pumps on one '35 and two '36's. Excellent service for about 10 years, no leaks.
V8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Chris

I had Skip go through a set of my early pumps...worked perfect!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
39portlander

Do yourself a favor and send your originals to skip. Support an American craftsmen who keeps this hobby going in more ways than one. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

It's Bob Drakes 70th birthday and he's having a sale on early 'pump in head' type water pumps and steel top or glass bowl fuel pumps...but you know what...I would still rather send my original part number water pump cores to Skip Haney for a gauranteed and high quality rebuild done in the U.S.A.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
OLD...BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
It's Bob Drakes 70th birthday and he's having a sale on early 'pump in head' type water pumps and steel top or glass bowl fuel pumps...but you know what...I would still rather send my original part number water pump cores to Skip Haney for a gauranteed and high quality rebuild done in the U.S.A.
Aman; John did the same with Charley's 36 woodie, ( skip's pumps ) looking forward to years of service. and no leaks. OLD...BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
TJ

I agree with V8ER, Daryl Fryer has great water pumps and is also an American craftsman. He stands behind his product. I used his pumps on one of my cars and it never ran so cool. He's also a member of the Early Ford V-8 Club. I've not done business with Skip, but I know others who have and they were also satisfied with his work.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

I don't know that much about Fryer's offerings for the early pumps. Are they EFV-8 C/A show field correct for the various years from '32 to '36, right and left hand versions with correct Ford part numbers and correctly positioned threaded holes for Zerk fittings where applicable?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
TJ

John, Daryl Fryer rebuilds original pumps just like Skip. I don't know if he sells new ones or not.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
flatjack9

Is anyone going to answer the question?
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
JWL
Member Emeritus

Great question, Jack!
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
John, Daryl Fryer rebuilds original pumps just like Skip. I don't know if he sells new ones or not.
Tom, Just looked at his ad in the May/June V-8 Times. Ad states..."Fryer's Early Ford Water Pumps, Guaranteed Cost Effective Reliability, The Finest in Show and Go Quality. New & Restored 1932 -53 Water Pumps. 1932-1936 pumps, New Castings, Pumps have pre-lubed sealed bearings and ceramic water seals. 1937-1948 pumps, modified with pre-lubed sealed bearings and ceramic water seals".
To me this ad implies that '32-'36 pumps are made with new castings.and sealed (ball?) bearings. Does not say he rebuilds these year pumps using original castings as cores. New castings would probably not have Ford part numbers. Also if sealed bearings are used there's no need for Zerk fittings. It doesn't sound to me like these pumps would be show field correct.

Addendum added 7/25/13 to my earlier post above...
I just got off the phone with Daryl Fryer discussing details on his '32-'36 water pump offerings:
1. He can and will rebuild your old original core pumps if this is what you prefer to have done, however, he prefers to sell his new pumps that have new castings that are correct for each year, right and left sides, as were used originally by Ford in production.
2. His new pumps are made with sealed double row ball bearings, ceramic seals, Zerk fittings as located in originals (even though not required w/sealed ball bearings) and the correct Ford part numbers as used in production by Ford.
3. Daryl ships the pumps you order for your inspection and approval before you make payment. This would include actually installing them on your car for a trial run.
With this information, I would say that Fryer's pumps would be show field correct.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-25-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 AM   #13
Chris/Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Is anyone going to answer the question?
Historically a rare occurrence.
Chris/Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris/Mass View Post
Historically a rare occurrence.
"Historically", the waterpumps in question have been talked about on this site for many years. Just check the "search" button. Sending the originals to Skip seems to work for the 99%

To answer, unfortunately "yes". Several years ago I made the only mistake of not listening to Walt Dupont about sending my originals down to skip and bought a pair of those "off shore" wanna-bees. Long story short, bolt holes were not even close

From wisdom comes knowledge, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and AVOID A HEADACHE, SEND YOUR ORINGINALS TO SKIP WHO HAS SUPPORTED THIS HOBBY IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE.

Hope this answers the damn question, RDRR
Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

I added some new information regarding Fryer's pumps to post #12.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #16
koates

Seems this question is always hijacked by supporters of Skip and Fryer. They are by all accounts excellent tradesmen, but the question was for a report on the repo/new production sealed roller bearing pumps supplied by Drake (and others) for the 21 stud on c/head 1933 - 36 ford V8. Now there are two types around for sale they being new production old type bronze bush with external greaser nipple just like original and the sealed roller bearing type. I believe the sealed roller bearing type supplied by various vendors are produced in china (please correct me if you know otherwise) and I and another friend here in AUSTRALIA have purchased four pairs from C&G and Macs and have them fitted with no problems at all. They run quiet, and cool very well so far. I guess the Drake pump is the same make as what we have. The impeller on these pumps is very similar to skips version but not exactly the same. Living outside the USA makes these pumps much more cost effective for us because of the shipping costs involved if we were to have originals rebuilt in the USA. Rest assured we will let everyone know if we have any failures with these pumps. We know how good Skip & H. Fryer pumps are so no need for anyone to tell us again about them, IS THERE !!! Best regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #17
franksford

how about posting phone numbers for both gentlemen or web site so we can montact them? Thanks. Frank
franksford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
Firepower flyer

[QUOTE=franksford;695116]how about posting phone numbers for both gentlemen or web site so we can montact them? Thanks. Frank[/QUOTE
In the search box type in water pumps,you will find out all the info you need regarding water pumps including contact info.I did this when I needed to send my pumps to Skip.This topic has been well covered in the past if people would take the time to do the search function.I'm not trying to preach to you or anyone else,it's just I see alot of the same questions come up all the time and it's all been talked about already.I try to use the search first and if I cannot find it there I'll post a question.
Joe
Firepower flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
JM 35 Sedan

I'm on BD's email contact list for new products, sales, etc. He just sent me an email with a link to a video he made on his new water pumps. I believe you can access it here on his website...
http://www.bobdrake.com/

Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
39portlander

[QUOTE=koates;695041 I believe the sealed roller bearing type supplied by various vendors are produced in china (please correct me if you know otherwise) and I and another friend here in AUSTRALIA have purchased four pairs from C&G and Macs and have them fitted with no problems at all. [/QUOTE]

Kevin, sounds like they figured out the bolt hole problems. Keep those old Fords runnin down under