Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
barnfind08

Default Poll: Anybody "Restoring A Car"

Some friends and I who have all been in the parts business for many years have been discussing whether anyone is truly restoring a car anymore or are they just maintaining the original restoration or upon finding a car that has never been restored just keeping it the way they found it with a few upgrades to get it running? I myself have all these cars and years ago had intensions with my n.o.s. parts to build concourse cars. Knowing I can not do all of them with not all that many years left I have decided to build them to drive. Rubbing out the paint instead of a paint job, not hanging any fenders, running original grills and just doing the mechanicals. This seems so much faster and easier. What say you guys. Of course to each his own, but lets hear some conversation.
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Shadetree

Default Re: Poll: Anybody "Restoring A Car"

I have a finished car that I have owned since 1999, a `37 Chevy Business Coupe but rarely drive it.

On the other hand, the unfinished `35 Ford cabriolet is much more fun and I don’t have to worry about someone stepping on a painted smoothie running board or scratching it. I have worked on the Ford since 2006 and may never get it finished. I have taken it on vacation, long Sunday drives and to lots of car shows. I believe it actually gets more attention in its unfinished state. Mechanically it is very good, dependable and with high speed gears I can keep up with traffic. My theory is that people believe they can afford to buy it and finish it. One fellow last summer at a car show said `I want that Ford!’ I told him it wasn’t for sale. He then said `Here is my card, call me!’ I never called...

Shadetree

Last edited by Shadetree; 10-29-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
jim1932

fixing and running.....
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
PeteVS

In '66, I bought a '63 C______, drove it hard and put it away wet for about 28 years. When it was time, I dragged it out, took the body off and did all the underneath stuff. Put the body back on without even washing it. I enjoy using the car and don't worry about kids spilling ice cream on it at a car show. I think there's a lot to be said about not "finishing" a car, especially to concours condition unless you want to sell it at Barrett Jackson.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Kurt in NJ

To me a true restoration means that even in places that can't be seen look new, and that ALL parts have been returned to original tolerances, that everything should work as new ---no drooping door handles, wobbling windows, loose suspension etc.

At some shows I have looked inside doors when the windows are down, only 1 or 2 of the cars I looked at looked restored on the inside of the doors --even on some cars done by well known shops.

It is hard to paint the inside of a dashboard that is not removeable and make it look good --with the proper finish paint overspray

I get many more compliments on my A now that it is a 40 year old restoration and has some bad paint than I ever got when it was first restored, never won any trophys back then, did get a blue ribbon at a national meet.

I do see the use of "it's just going to be a driver" as an excuse to not properly restore the mechanicals, and the use of modern, or later componets as a crutch instead of properly restoring the original parts.

I an slowly restoring a 53 Citroen as a "driver", I have at least 6 hours in restoring the wiper motor, much more in the door latches, every steerring part has been gone through and fitted to have smooth motion with no play, I made tooling to make leather ball joint boots to match originals but I probably won't win a top prize at Hershey but it will be restored and drive like it.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
PeterC

In the middle of a total restoration of my 3 Window - from a financial perspective - not for the faint of heart!
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
barnfind08

Keep the comments coming guys very informative. When this is done we will see where we are. I also think guys my age are building a rod now which is a whole lot of fun.
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
Ken/Alabama

Im in the middle of a full blown restoration on my 39 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe. I have a restored 40 Ford Convertible and a 40 Coupe thats unrestored but rewired and all the mechanicals back in good operating condition. I find myself driving and enjoying the coupe most of all,it actually turns more heads.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
Scott De Shields

Since working on my 40 coup I have found homemade and aftermarket parts that were installed by my grandfather. When my dad inherited the car he maintained it and rarely drove it (he had bad knees and it had a stiff clutch). Since I now have the car I have noticed aftermarket parts that were in questionable condition along with originals that had just worn out. Along with replacing the SBC engine that my grandfather built (I sold it to a Hamber that put it in his 40) with a 8BA flathead and 4 speed toploader. New gas tank and fuel lines along with electric fuel pump and regulator (was running on propane). Front brakes were older disc brake conversion with wheel spacers and 50 year old brake lines with out front metering valve or 2 PSI residual valve. New POL disc brake conversion with F150 discs and re plumped all the brake lines. Want to keep the car pretty much like my grandfather had it and drive it more frequently. When I get the hang of picture posting will send some.
Scott De Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
richard crow

33 roadster full resto about 70% done hope i live long enought to finish it
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
BrianCT

Just maintaining and driving it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01019.jpg (62.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 10-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

No more restorations for me. Just get them in good shape mechanically, make the interior and exterior presentable and drive the tires off them. I don't have enough time, energy, money or desire left in me to make any of my cars into 1000 point show cars. I see more people, including me, at the EFV8C/A shows walk right by the over restored Dearborn's to look at an all original or Rouge class car.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Barry-ct

I've had my 50 F-1 for 24 years and I've been doing a ground up restoration. Most of those years, I didn't work on it, as kids, house came first. My avatar shows the basic spot I'm at now. Glass is in. I'm moving forward instead of backwards most of the previous years!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
Russ/40

Time and experience has been key to my mindset these days. 35 years ago when I bought my basket case I had concourse aspirations for it. It sat for 34 years while I got sidetracked with other car projects. Now retired, and dedicated to the "A", I just want it to be a head turner that's real nice, that I can drive anytime with the realization I don't think I'll live long enough to make a concourse project worthwhile.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
robert dick

Had restored model 'A's for years, i was always worried about someone leaning on them or scratching the fender, i now drive semi restored 36 pu, looks great, and runs like hot flathead should, i find the 36 being NOT a show car is much more enjoyable.
robert dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #16
V12Bill

I enjoy correcting the errors that others have done over the years so that the car will last many more years. I do make a few changes for safety( Zephyr Brakes). And some because I want to(dual exhaust). Since I did not remove the body and fill in all the rust pits in the frame it will never be concourse, but seals have been replaced and I expect to own a reliable and save truck.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #17
Gumpy

I like to repair and paint henry's original componets or fix something thats broken....my 40 coupe had a 39 column and steering wheel when i got it and i think it looks cool!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #18
DavidG

As was said, to each his own and I respect differing points of view on this subject. I get a lot of satisfaction from the research, parts hunting, and hands-on effort that goes into accurate ground-up restorations and have several in final assembly.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #19
alanwoodieman

I do what I call a "runstoration" I want it as correct as possible on the outside with a few more modern touches underneath-- brakes, higher speed rear axle. My 40 wagon is restored (1992) and has been driven about 15,000 miles. My 41 truck was runstorated and put on the road in January 2011, it already has 2000 miles and I try to drive it about 5-6 days a week and I love it!! I don't really worry about a few "beauty marks" and I LIKE bugs on the grill!!
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #20
rotorwrench

I've come to believe that the total restorations are for the folks that have the where with all to preserve them in this state. Since a motor vehicle starts to deteriorate as soon as it is driven out the door of the garage, it just depends on how much planed use it will get and how much maintenance it will take to keep it in top shape. My own personal situation is good enough to keep a motor vehicle in decent mechanical condition and try to preserve the car as best as possible as a daily driver. If I keep things up well enough, the next owner will have an easy time restoring the machine to "like new" condition if he has a mind to. I like the fun of the hunt for old parts but I also like the fun of driving the old stuff without fear of possible damage.

It's just the practical approach for my own life style. To each there own.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote