Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2020, 10:06 PM   #1
Denali

Default B Motor problems

I'm in a bit of a pickle here... Last June I purchased a 1934 Model BB truck with the 4 cylinder engine. Removed the engine to have it rebuilt. Outfit doing the engine found a non-repairable crack in the exhaust port. So I supplied another B block. They found a crack in it too. So I supplied a third B block and they threw up their hands and said enough was enough. They couldn't get the valves out and in years past a crack had formed in the front of the block and it had been nickle welded. I'm out of B motors... I live in Alaska where nobody line-bores and B motors are extremely rare to come by. Does anybody out there have any advice or direction? I'm considering buying a little 4 cylinder diesel engine to maybe shoehorn into the truck but really want to stay stock. Thanks. Mark in Fairbanks Alaska
Denali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:39 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: B Motor problems

My first choice would be a Model B or early V8 flathead. If I was considering a late model 4 cylinder engine I would look at the 153 cubic inch Chevy II engine and the engines that were developed from it. These include the Mercruiser marine engines and the GM Industrial engines. These both are available in 153 and 181 cubic inch versions. They have the same bell housing bolt pattern as the SBC engine, which makes adapters to early Fords readily available. They use all American fasteners. Attached pictures show the one I have in my ’32 roadster connected to a '39 trans which bolts right up to the original rear end.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8089.jpg (61.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8092.jpg (57.5 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 02-10-2020 at 01:52 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:51 AM   #3
Denali

How cool is that!!
Old 02-10-2020, 05:01 AM   #4
Denali

What about bolting up to the existing 4 speed tranny?
Old 02-10-2020, 05:23 AM   #5
flatheadmurre

Isnīt the bellhousing bolted to the tranny with 4 bolts...
Taking a GM aluminum bellhousing and cutting/welding a plate that fits to the tranny wouldnīt be to much of a hassle....
Finding a good B block canīt be that impossible...iīm on the wrong side of the pond and i bet i can by phone get hold of one in MN for you if all other options run dry...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:18 AM   #6
tubman

Listen to Murre; He's serious. AND he has connections.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
Denali

Murre, my cell number is 907-460-9049 if you can text me sometime. Thanks
Old 02-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
rotorwrench

I'm not sure if the Chevy II 153 or Vortec 3000 would be any easier to find up north or not. I know a lot of boats are used in the Ketchikan region but it depends on where the OP is located.

A model A engine could be used with an AA truck clutch cover. The model A casting has a bit more thickness of casting around the valves than the B engine does. An electric pump may be needed since there is no provision on the A blocks.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:27 PM   #9
donald1950

153 chevy motors are hard to find especially with manifolds. just bought a new ($3200) GM Vortec 3.0 (188 cu in) forklift motor, that is essentially a bored & stroked 153. found an intake and exhaust for it, motor comes with a "high efficiency" 8 port head and an adapter plate to bolt the older type manifolds on. going into a restored 1930 Model A with a 39 top shift transmission. Clifford engineering makes intake manifolds and will make custom tube headers for the older style heads. Charlie Stephens told me the 153 head fits the newer motors. the 153 & 181 motors have boat and forklift applications since the 1960s.
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote