Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2019, 10:54 PM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: Replace Flathead with Y-Block?

Skip the 1 year y-block, lot of one off stuff. At least get the 272. 292 is great. But they are all 312s, it just depends on whom is selling. Yblocks are heavy (think the "average" is about 200 pounds on the 292 motor side vs flathead), but lot's of torque.

Don't forget about the 223 straight 6. First yr 53 (215, same deal, one off). Not a power house (about the same hp as a stock Flathead in 53) but pretty much bulletproof and cheap.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Tinker; 10-04-2019 at 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling and punctuation.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:21 AM   #22
corvette8n

Here's a video of Iron trap garage putting a "Y" block into a 39 Ford.
https://youtu.be/Wx0dBPs8U0I
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #23
rotorwrench

Transmissions changed in 1951. The later transmissions have better gears than the earlier ones. To me, the Y-block engines belong in Y-block cars. Flatheads belong in flathead cars but that is my own person feeling on the subject.

Changing a powerplant for a more modern type requires substantial work and some yankee engineering. I'd want the best motor for the buck spent and that leads to the small block Ford in my book. A 351W would be a good choice for a heavy car.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #24
RalphM

A friend is putting a y block in his 38 ford, here’s a shot with the body off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7DE5538C-BCF7-48AB-B081-5900F6C741A2.jpg (11.0 KB, 64 views)
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #25
DougE

To reiterate, even though it's not the easiest choice, I was hoping to pair an OHV V8 with the original drive train due to the uniqueness of the manual 3 speed with overdrive. Something that I could hang an A/C compressor on, too? I would like to adapt a modern air filter cartridge to the oil bath air cleaner to keep close to the original look as well. Even though I might have an FiTech FI unit under it. I think there's motor mounts for almost anything but the issue is the driveline connection. A 302 would be nice but I don't know of any adapters available. The Y-Block seems to be the only thing close to working out.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #26
Jack E/NJ

You can rather easily do everything you want to do. Plus keep it just as close to the original look as possible. But not with a Y block. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #27
42merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougE View Post
To reiterate, even though it's not the easiest choice, I was hoping to pair an OHV V8 with the original drive train due to the uniqueness of the manual 3 speed with overdrive. Something that I could hang an A/C compressor on, too? I would like to adapt a modern air filter cartridge to the oil bath air cleaner to keep close to the original look as well. Even though I might have an FiTech FI unit under it. I think there's motor mounts for almost anything but the issue is the driveline connection. A 302 would be nice but I don't know of any adapters available. The Y-Block seems to be the only thing close to working out.
RE- READ post 10.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #28
fordwife

In my opinion, dealing with the oddities and shortcomings of these old cars is part of the fun of driving them.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #29
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
A lot of people would not agree to that statement. The 56 and 57 Fords were top winners in oval track racing and a number of them did good in 1/4 mile racing.

If treated right (as with any other engine) they were long lasting engines with plenty of torque.
You would be hard pressed to name a worse Ford engine. Y blocks didn't breathe, hard on parts, especially bearings and lacked oil to the rockers. The FE motor in '58 was a big improvement. They couldn't compete on the drag strip at all. The SBC ate it for lunch all around.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #30
DougE

42Merc - shame this forum doesn't have "like" buttons - you'd have got one. You would think hotrodders would be more supportive of someone trying to put together a specific concept. The 292's are pretty good engines and they have a firing order that gives a great sound. How cool is it to have that "OVERDRIVE" handle under the dash! Modern oils pretty much cure that top end oiling problem.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #31
Ol' Ron

Going back in history, the development of the big cubic engines started in 49 with the 303 Olds and the 331 caddy. This was at a time when the 286 Flatty was about as far as you could go, without getting into allot of money. By the time you installed a cam and a few carbs, you'd have over 500 bucks into the car. Now along cam the 303 Olds and you could buy them for a coupla hundred bucks. Just made an adapter kit for a hundred bucks. And you could have a tire smoking street machine for allot less. Unfortunately, this brought about a few other problems, like blown trans and broken axles. It didn't take long before thay went the way of the old flathead. I ,even had a 392 Hemi in a 47 Plymouth. Besides all these broken parts, the handling qualities, and Brakes of the car mad them dangerous to drive. What was worse, they kept making them bigger.
Thus started the small block Chevy revolution. Hard to admit, it not only brought speed back but handling as well. Ford figured that out and produced the 302/351 and I think they weight about the same as a flatty. Now that I said all that my favorite engine is a 258 flathead, It might not be the most powerful engine, but in a light cat, cam, and a few other goodies. It make a very nice street machine.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #32
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Ron, believe the SBF was lighter than the flathead, something like 460lbs vs 525lbs. So it was even a better deal! The SBF is lighter than the SBC, which is heaver than a flathead, but the SBF was much later in time.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #33
skidmarks

A dressed up Y block has a lot more eye appeal then a 302
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:35 PM   #34
donald1950

DougE, the oiling problems with upper end oiling was more than just with the quality of oil. there were inherent Y block design issues that caused rocker arm shafts to suffer from lack of oil volume...... i have a 53 Vickie with a small block chev in it that was in front of the stock 3 speed with OD. i can help you with clutch issues if you wish to choose that route instead of the Y block. adapters are readily available for the chev to ford trans, and exhaust manifolds are simple. you will need a dropped tie rod to clear the pan........
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #35
Hal Beatty

While the early 239's and 256's had some strange issues with oiling the top end, the later Y-blocks did not... provided the oil passages to the rockers were clean and the oil was changed regularly. At least none of mine ever did. See the Y-block Guy's videos on youtube and do some of your own research on the issue. There's lots of "haters" out there...

As far as Y-blocks "not breathing", do a search for what Karol Miller did with his '56 at Bonneville back in the day.
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #36
Gary in La.

Ford made a oil kit for the rockers to help their oiling problem with the Y block. I had a '57 Fairlane with a 292 and my buddy had the 312 in a like car. We both put the kits on our engines. No problems and many miles. (99,000 +) I have seen the kits on Ebay once in a while.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:25 PM   #37
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougE View Post
42Merc - shame this forum doesn't have "like" buttons - you'd have got one. You would think hotrodders would be more supportive of someone trying to put together a specific concept. The 292's are pretty good engines and they have a firing order that gives a great sound. How cool is it to have that "OVERDRIVE" handle under the dash! Modern oils pretty much cure that top end oiling problem.
Yeah Yeah this whole mess, good choice bad choice, needs to be addressed on the H.A.M.B. This ain't why were here.

True enough many of us have vast experience ( myself included ) with transplants of Hemis, mouse motors, BBCs, Olds, and Whatever some body else drove into tree. This forum survives on the desire to drive a very unique. and antiquated V8.

Seriously ask the H.A.M.B.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #38
DougE

A Bones - I am posting identical threads in the H.A.M.B. 1952-59 Ford Social Group and not getting much response.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #39
philipswanson

I had a 54 Ford Mainliner with a 312 engine. It had the external rocker arm oiler on it but that wasn't enough since it suffered from low oil pressure too. I somewhat solved the rocker arm issue by pulling the rocker covers off monthly and pouring 90W gear oil on them to stop the squeaking. Later replaced that motor with a 59 Ford Police car engine, a 352.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #40
rotorwrench

Y-blocks evolved to be a decent engine but they were never a powerhouse engine. When they finally started to improve things in 1957 for T-birds and for racing programs, they actually got them into a respectable catagory. Some racers modified them further with good results. They are kind of an odd design with respect to fit up and function. The exhaust systems for the regular models were really funky.

A lot of the small block Ford bell housings have both the wide pattern bolt up and the narrow pattern bolt up for the old Ford-Borg/Warner design transmissions. The early 5-bolt bell housings for the small blocks all had the narrow pattern for the early T10 4-speed that would work with an old R10 or maybe an R11 overdrive. The early 1966 6-bolt bell housing had this pattern too but they are harder to find. I would prefer the T85 transmission with the R11 overdrive for performance. It's a lot stronger than the old R10 set up. I still see floor shifters for them now and then.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote