Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #41
glennpm

Default Re: Shop led lighting

No problem for me with them working.

Worked fine with our old Honda Odyssey and now with our Prius and Chrysler Pacifica.

One thing on the garage door opener lights, I have Liftmaster; they tell you not to use LEDs in them since they may not be triggered. I found that with one 60 watt incandescent and a 75W LED, that they work fine.

Last edited by glennpm; 07-29-2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Added car references
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #42
RalphM

Yes, a fellow car cub member was just talking about his door opener not working when led lights are on.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #43
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
When you use the led's will your garage door openers work from the auto's remotes? When led's came out some of them put out a frequency that blocked the remote's from working.
All (3) of my remotes work when the shop LED's are on, but as mentioned in post #41 above there may be a problem if LED bulbs are used in the opener itself. Might have something to do with the close proximity of the bulb to the lifter.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #44
glennpm

This is from the Liftmaster Model 8500 manual regarding the remote light:

Install two Type A19 incandescent or
compact fluorescent bulbs (100 watt
maximum per bulb, 200 watts total).

NOTE: Do not use LED bulbs as they
may reduce the range or performance
of your remote control(s).
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #45
Ol' Ron

I installed some used defective LED lighting in my shop a few years back, They were so bright that I had to eliminate some of the bulbs, The only thing wrong with them is: they "flicker" some times. The fact that I have bad eyesight, makes it a big improvement. I also replaced most of the florescent tubes in the garage area. Well worth the effort and costs.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #46
petehoovie

Wink Re: Shop led lighting

The three ACE Hardware Stores in my area have converted their overhead lighting to LED fixtures. The lighting is terrible - very hard to see items on the shelves and some aisles are very dark. I have to remember to bring a flashlight when I go shopping at these stores. Maybe they're trying to push flashlight sales at these stores. They must have selected the wrong type fixtures for the application....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #47
philipswanson

Another great use for LEDs in your shop are for drop lights. No more getting hot and burning you when working in tight places under the car. They also are much more shock resistant unlike the old filament style bulbs.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:34 PM   #48
Fortunateson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Hi; Retired electrician here... The new Leds are fantastic, I installed High bay t-5s [flor] and did not like the heat they produced. T-8s [Flor] with electronic ballasts can be converted to Led T-8s by just replacement. Note the 'brightness' ratings in Lumuns. Your eyes maybe sensitive. Newc
Just started reading this thread. When you say you can convert T-8s to Led T-8s by just replacing... ? Thanks for the clarification in advance.

Last edited by Fortunateson; 07-29-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #49
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunateson View Post
Just started reading this thread. When you say you can convert T-8s to Led T-8s by just replacing... ? Thanks for the clarification in advance.
See > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmR5iEEP9q8&t=23s

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #50
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I installed some used defective LED lighting in my shop a few years back, They were so bright that I had to eliminate some of the bulbs, The only thing wrong with them is: they "flicker" some times. The fact that I have bad eyesight, makes it a big improvement. I also replaced most of the florescent tubes in the garage area. Well worth the effort and costs.

One reason Leds can flicker, is when they don't have full voltage.

They do make dimmable leds now for rheostat dimmers. Putting a non dimmable older led on a dimmer switch will make them flicker.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:20 PM   #51
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Yes, a fellow car cub member was just talking about his door opener not working when led lights are on.

Interesting. Have not heard that. Maybe it has some radio interference. I guess I have something to google tonight for fun.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:28 PM   #52
Merc Cruzer

I went to Home Depot today and bought just the 8' Double Ended Ballast Bypass bulbs, they come two to a pack. It is a new item for them. Eliminated the ballast, then the black wire from the wall switch was wire-nutted to the two wires on the left end of the light and the white wire from the wall switch was wire-nutted to the two wires on the right end of the light. Re installed the covers on the light. Then installed the two bulbs and all can say is WOW, what a difference! The two bulbs cost $43 and a new 8' LED strip unit cost $92. Wonder if I can find these on e-bay for less. Total time to do the project, around 20 minutes. One light down and two more to go for that stall. The Utube video (not mine) below shows how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRZdN5KtG8k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9552.jpg (27.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9557.jpg (63.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9554.jpg (30.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9553.jpg (39.4 KB, 16 views)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:01 PM   #53
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
I went to Home Depot today and bought just the 8' Double Ended Ballast Bypass bulbs, they come two to a pack. It is a new item for them. Eliminated the ballast, then the black wire from the wall switch was wire-nutted to the two wires on the left end of the light and the white wire from the wall switch was wire-nutted to the two wires on the right end of the light. Re installed the covers on the light. Then installed the two bulbs and all can say is WOW, what a difference! The two bulbs cost $43 and a new 8' LED strip unit cost $92. Wonder if I can find these on e-bay for less. Total time to do the project, around 20 minutes. One light down and two more to go for that stall. The Utube video (not mine) below shows how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRZdN5KtG8k
I went through Amazon. I've updated 33 8ft fixtures, and a bunch of 4ft, and a couple 2 ft. Since the LED bulbs are so much brighter, some replace the two fluorescent bulbs with only one LED, and get similar light output.

Hyperikon is one of the premier brands of bulbs. I like the color of the 5k bulbs. They are very white, with no sign of blue. Higher than that, and they start to get a little bluish. You can get much better pricing going through Amazon. If the bulbs are spread out, or are high in the air... the bulbs with two rows of LED's are nice. That's what I used at dad's garage. When I put fluorescents in my garage, I went overkill... and after upgrading to LED, it's like a sunny day! lol

SUPER easy to convert, as was stated above. Black wire from the 120V source to one side, white to the other... and you're DONE. Never have to mess with ballasts again, and never have to worry about them coming on in cold weather. Uses less power, and puts off less heat. (about half on both counts)

I've been VERY happy going through Amazon. Also recommend frosted covers if they will be in your line of sight. If they are up high or out of view, either frosted or clear will be fine. The more bulbs you buy, the better deal you can get.

They also make clips that attach at the center of the fixture to hold the bulb and keep it from sagging. Those are nice additions.

Good Luck!
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #54
38bill

I have the old style 8' double strip fluorescent light fixtures in my shop. I upgraded to LED's about a year ago using these bulbs from Menards. They are great, instant start no matter how cold, very bright, cheap and a nice color. If your fixtures already have electronic ballasts they are a direct swap for the old fluorescent bulbs. I had to upgrade my old ballasts for about $20 per fixture so the total cost with bulbs was around $40 per fixture. I see that they are on sale with a rebate now for only $5 a bulb. Think I'll pick up a couple more.

https://www.menards.com/main/electri...1267826&ipos=1
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #55
5851a

Thanks for replies about door openers. Was afraid if I went LED and had them on, doors wouldn't work. Sounds like if I keep compacts or incandescent in the openers themselves everything will be ok. Been replacing bulbs in the house with LED's and all remotes in house seem ok.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #56
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
I have the old style 8' double strip fluorescent light fixtures in my shop. I upgraded to LED's about a year ago using these bulbs from Menards. They are great, instant start no matter how cold, very bright, cheap and a nice color. If your fixtures already have electronic ballasts they are a direct swap for the old fluorescent bulbs. I had to upgrade my old ballasts for about $20 per fixture so the total cost with bulbs was around $40 per fixture. I see that they are on sale with a rebate now for only $5 a bulb. Think I'll pick up a couple more.

https://www.menards.com/main/electri...1267826&ipos=1
That's odd that those require a ballast. Most conversion bulbs do NOT require a ballast at all. It is completely bypassed. You snip the wires to the ballast, and simply hook the black 120 V wire to one end of the bulb, and the white to the other.
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #57
38bill

They make both line voltage LEDs and LEDs that use the existing ballast. If your fixtures have existing electronic ballasts it is really easy and cheap to just replace the bulbs.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:38 PM   #58
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Thanks for replies about door openers. Was afraid if I went LED and had them on, doors wouldn't work. Sounds like if I keep compacts or incandescent in the openers themselves everything will be ok. Been replacing bulbs in the house with LED's and all remotes in house seem ok.

I went out to the shop tested my openers with lights on and lights off. Didn't have an issue at all, at least not apparent with a quick test. I would think your cell phone or WiFi emits more harmful waves. I could be wrong.

interesting older (march 2018) video. Still think the rf interference is low enough that it would be hard to make a difference to a radio receiver. Ballast resisters emit interference also. Think it's a bit over thought. Kind of a unfair test also as the two lights are not the same distance to the meter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUgCM6cCUj0

I've had issues with the mentioned opener system. But it is always when it's cold outside. Maybe a track issue. It works flawless in the summer or warm months from the remote and garage switch. When its really cold in jan/mn remote doesn't work and I have to get out and force/hold the switch in the garage.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-01-2019 at 09:49 PM.