Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
My 34 Ford

Default Rear Hub Puller

Does anyone have any experience with the rear hub puller being sold by Vintage Precision? It is advertised as an enhanced reproduction of the K.R. Wilson ABV-156 rear hub puller and looks pretty good for less than $100.00. Just wonder if it will work as well as the original? Check it out at www.vintageprecision.com
My 34 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Old Henry

Default Re: Rear Hub Puller

Looks good to me. But, if you only need to pull a hub once in a blue moon you can rent a puller from AutoZone for free to do so.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
ford38v8

Why fix something that isn't broke? For just a few dollars more, you can have a KR Wilson Hub Puller.
The KRW AB-156 is the best thing since chocolate.

Henry.... I'm surprised at your response! You're gonna pull the hub or are you gonna pull the studs from the hub?

Last edited by ford38v8; 03-18-2012 at 10:30 PM.
ford38v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Henry.... I'm surprised at your response! You're gonna pull the hub or are you gonna pull the studs from the hub?
The only reason I can think that you would be surprised is that you don't know what the AutoZone puller is like. It pulls the same way the Wilson puller does, on the ledge of the hub. It's a little more cumbersome but pulls just the same - and for free. It has nothing to do with studs.

If you want to see what you can rent for free to do what only rarely needs done look at puller #27078 here: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ino...llersUniversal It's the first one listed. #27011 works too. It's just not quite as versatile.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Karl Wolf

The Vint. Pres. puller looks real good... I got the KRW, love it..
Good not to cheap out on this, one time can ruin a good axle...
Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Scott H

I got the aftermarket one Mac's sells and I've used it about 5 times so far with zero problems. 2 of those times were on drums that looked like they haven't been off in 50 years!
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 34 Ford View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the rear hub puller being sold by Vintage Precision? It is advertised as an enhanced reproduction of the K.R. Wilson ABV-156 rear hub puller and looks pretty good for less than $100.00. Just wonder if it will work as well as the original? Check it out at www.vintageprecision.com

Looks pretty good. But, I always wonder (about credibility) when I see something like that hub & drum that is labelled 1939. Maybe it's just me, I don't recall seeing a 39 hub/drum that looked like that. JMO
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
Mike in AZ

looks pretty good....definitely not a '39 Ford drum, tho....no wide five there....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
The only reason I can think that you would be surprised is that you don't know what the AutoZone puller is like. It pulls the same way the Wilson puller does, on the ledge of the hub. It's a little more cumbersome but pulls just the same - and for free. It has nothing to do with studs.

If you want to see what you can rent for free to do what only rarely needs done look at puller #27078 here: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ino...llersUniversal It's the first one listed. #27011 works too. It's just not quite as versatile.
Henry, I wouldn't use a universal puller on my Ford for a couple of reasons:
Hold your mouth wrong and you pay for a new axle.
Hold your fingers wrong and you pay the E.R. Doctor.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wolf View Post
The Vint. Pres. puller looks real good... I got the KRW, love it..
Good not to cheap out on this, one time can ruin a good axle...
Karl
I was just trying to give us poor folks an option. Seems there are those trying to spend as much as they possibly can, and that's great if money is no object as appears to be for many. But, for others of us, we sometimes have to pick and choose where we spend our money and save by renting for free instead of buying when we can get the same result so we have our limited resources to spend on other things that we can't rent for free. I don't think that approach should be so quickly condemned. That approach may well represent the less noisy majority.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

I made what I consider to be a nice rear hub puller and posted pictures of how it works, etc., here on the new barn and on the old barn as well. I'm away from home right now and my computer files but could post something again when I get back home or I could email/pm those pics to you.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-19-2012 at 03:35 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #12
Fe26

I too made my own, being an Industrial Blacksmith by trade helped. When I went to use it, the first rear hub on my new '36' pickup came off after just one revolution of the screw, the other rear hub took two revolutions. I figure the ft Ib's of torque on the hubs were practically zero. Still, I have it for next time.

Lucky I didn't drive it without first checking out the brakes (a standard proceedure for my mechanic).

I also agree with Old Henry, 'as needs must' while it's a comforting feeling to have the correct tool, any other tool which can do the job properly and safely should also be considered. If you can borrow one even better.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
40Pickup

Well, has been posted before! The way I did it!

/Jorgen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08496_resize.JPG (79.9 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08497_resize.JPG (135.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08500_resize.JPG (72.6 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08501_resize.JPG (74.6 KB, 100 views)
40Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #14
Old Henry

If I was pulling my rear hubs once a month I'd definitely get the KR Wilson as it looks a lot easier to use but I only pull them every 10,000 miles to grease the bearings and change the brake shoes. For me, that is "once in a blue moon" and I'll keep borrowing from AutoZone for those rare occasions. Is there some reason others of you are pulling your hubs all the time? Something I should know?
Old 03-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #15
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Henry, I wouldn't use a universal puller on my Ford for a couple of reasons:
Hold your mouth wrong and you pay for a new axle.
Hold your fingers wrong and you pay the E.R. Doctor.
I guess I haven't had the trouble with my mouth and fingers that some others must have.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #16
[email protected]

Vintage Precisions works just fine except: Vintage Precision's Rear Hub Puller will only work on grooved design hubs and not on protruding ring style hubs.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #17
Fibber Mcgee

Old Henry ,I like knowing ways to save money .Now days we need all the shortcuts we can get.I got the cheaper one from Macs and have used it several times with no problems,I thing if I was pulling them all the time I would spring for the other but right now I dont have an extra $200 laying around.I like the fact that you can get all kinds of advice on here thats how we learn.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #18
richard crow

if your going to spend 100 for a toy puller go the extra & buy the kr wilson one advertized in the v8 times it workes & remember when you trade your old ford for a rocking chair you can sell it for near what you paid for it that pipe & bolt thing after you wacked it a few times will not look so good i have seen rear hubs so tight that they can bring tears to a glass eye. you don,t go bear hunting with a 22
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #19
My 34 Ford

Thanks for all of the comments. When I saw the puller listed by Vintage Precision my first thought was that this is a good price for a club tool, one that would get a lot of use among friends. Then I wondered about the quality of the item, the hardness of the steel and how long it would last under repeated use. At $100 I thought that this was a good price when compared to the $150 puller advertised in the V8 Times which I know to be a quality item. The puller sold by Mac's at $190 seems out of line price wise and I wonder who makes it. Does anyone have any first hand experience with the puller made by Vintage Precision? For a club tool this is the best price at $100 but only if it lasts under repeated use.
My 34 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #20
Scott H

I did this one for $75 http://macsautoparts.com/search.asp?...113t&x=19&y=12

Has been working just fine
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote