Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #21
Jembow

Default Re: '36 Cabriolet with an "18-F" prefix

This is a can of worms. My RHD '35 Model 60 (yes, it's a V8-60) is chassis 54-738. I have no idea if my coupe was US, Canadian or Dagenham built.

The Model A in the UK was sold with a small 2 litre engine, because of our taxation system, so that was an AF. If you had a truck it was an AA if it had the 'proper' big engine, but an AAF with the small engine. The 32 Car (Model 18) was sold with a B version of the small engine as ABF, and continued into 1934. Basically the F seems to indicate stuff unique to non-US markets.
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #22
ford38v8

The car in question that began this thread is more interesting than the F question!

Final selling price of US$59619 for a car built as a driver without consideration of incorrect items if presented on a V8 Club Concourse:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25824/lot/209/
Old 10-13-2019, 01:19 AM   #23
Jembow

You can count the RHD 36 cabriolets in the UK on the fingers of one hand. On the same hand you can count the people in the UK who could recognise an authentic 36, and they probably wouldn't buy at Bonham's. My guess is the buyer just saw a stylish drophead that looked fun to drive, and it cost less than his daily driver, so why not buy a toy? There are people out there who get 500k annual bonuses, they are driving the price inflation, mainly on the exotics.

If the buyer is actually a V8 guy and reads Fordbarn, I apologise and withdraw the above. :-)
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:09 AM   #24
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kennedy View Post
Do the Australian chassis number, being RHD, have the "F" in them?

Interesting to see data plates from around the world. Would be fun to see others as well.

Thanks everyone.
I agree.....seeing the data plates from other countries is very interesting !!!!......
Great stuff.....thanks......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:03 AM   #25
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jembow View Post
This is a can of worms. My RHD '35 Model 60 (yes, it's a V8-60) is chassis 54-738. I have no idea if my coupe was US, Canadian or Dagenham built.

The Model A in the UK was sold with a small 2 litre engine, because of our taxation system, so that was an AF. If you had a truck it was an AA if it had the 'proper' big engine, but an AAF with the small engine. The 32 Car (Model 18) was sold with a B version of the small engine as ABF, and continued into 1934. Basically the F seems to indicate stuff unique to non-US markets.
The 54 prefix was also used on US cars with the V-8 60. Interesting that you have a "60" car that is prior to 1937 when the first "60"s appeared in the US.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #26
Tudortomnz

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
The 54 prefix was also used on US cars with the V-8 60. Interesting that you have a "60" car that is prior to 1937 when the first "60"s appeared in the US.
The first V8 60 was developed in Detroit in '34, released 1935 & sent to Britain & Europe to deal with h.p. taxes there but they were underpowered for the Nth American based vehicles. Ford Britain released the Model 62 V8 60 car for 1936, 108"chassis & the engine design was changed [porting & mains I think] & this was better suited to the smaller European models, also used in France by Matford & Ford Germany up to 1939. This was the same type v8 60 engine released by Ford US for 1937. Cheers
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote