Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
pgerhardt

Default OSPHO warning

OSPHO is a very strong acidic solution that converts rust (iron oxide) into iron phosphate which is black and inert. It is also very good at treating newly sand blasted or stripped metal to prevent flash rusting and etch it before priming. I used it back in the seventies and it was very effective.

But is is very strong stuff. I went to get some from a 1/4 full gallon bottle I had stored in my basement but it was gone! It had eaten through the bottom of its plastic bottle and turned a section of my concrete floor into dust! OK, I had that bottle since the seventies, but still, eating its way out of its own bottle!

I was sure it was the kind of thing the government would ban, but I was wrong and got a 32 oz bottle on Amazon. Knowing how it had the ability to escape, I checked the bottom of the new bottle. It looked a little funny. It had turned opaque white while the rest of the bottle was still translucent. I immediately ordered a 32 oz glass bottle from Amazon. My OSPHO is now safely stored in a glass container.

So if you have some OSPHO especially an old bottle check it for leaks, and you might want to transfer it to a glass container.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1470.jpg (50.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1473.jpg (39.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1474.jpg (43.9 KB, 76 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
JTW

Default Re: OSPHO warning

I have had one on a shelf in a dark corner for 20 years, guess it is time to check it, thanks for the warning.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
super flat

Thanks for the tip! Gary
Old 04-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
ursus

I would extend this good advice to the use of any plastic container for the storage of strong acids and alkalis or solvents. However thick the plastic may be, it may not have been designed for storage of the material you are putting into it. Even if designed for storage of the material during its normal pattern of use, it may not have been intended for long term storage. That is why otherwise stable chemicals may have an expiration date on the container.

I have seen serious damage done to an old car stored in an enclosed shed along with other stuff, including a gallon jug of muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid). The jug became leaky and the acid fumes ate away the paint and chrome finish on the car Inside, the fabric upolstery was so weaked by the acid fumes that you could poke a hole in it with light finger pressure.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
Tacoma Bob

Consider Nalgene containers. They are built for corrosive liquids.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Bib. What are Nalgene containers and where are they available from !
Thanks, Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
burner31

Danger, Will Robinson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg danger-will-robinson.jpg (25.1 KB, 53 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
Doug in NJ

Yes! Muriatic acid eats chrome! Store it far away from your car (or anything else made of metal).

We once had a bathroom remodeled, and shortly afterwards I saw that the nice new chrome-plated faucets had gotten all corroded. It turned out that somebody had accidentally used toilet bowl cleaner to clean the sink, and that stuff contained hydrochloric acid. I was astounded that anybody would (or could) sell a household cleaner with hydrochloric acid in it...

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
I have seen serious damage done to an old car stored in an enclosed shed along with other stuff, including a gallon jug of muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid). The jug became leaky and the acid fumes ate away the paint and chrome finish on the car Inside, the fabric upolstery was so weaked by the acid fumes that you could poke a hole in it with light finger pressure.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #9
ian Simpson

Back in the sixties when working for a large international computer company, I had to resuscitate a million dollar computer that had been attacked by acid leaking out of emergency lighting unit mounted on the ceiling above it. What a mess.

Never place anything containing acid or alkali above or even close to something you value regardless of the container material.

Ian
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #10
Paul

what type of lid is on that glass container?