Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #21
deuce_roadster

Default Re: EPA regulations to outlaw performance car parts

This reminds me of when a guy I know said the local county government was going to put a water meter on my well. That was 35 years ago and I haven't heard anything about that idea since. He sure was all worked up about it though. Too little water isn't a problem in my particular area. I don't get all stoked up over what could or might happen, that covers too many things.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #22
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Karl, I drive my Model A at night and have working turn signals, My arm! Oregon laws are not retroactive.
Karl stated the current law in Oregon. Operation of any motor vehicle not having working turn signals at night is a violation of Oregon State law.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #23
J Franklin

Looking at Oregon statutes it reads my model A is covered by exemptions to the lighting law Motorcycles after about '83 are not.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #24
mrtexas

I doubt the EPA has the best interests of antique car hobbyists in mind.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #25
expavr

"I don't get all stoked up over what could or might happen, that covers too many things." (quote)

For the most part I would agree, except when there are forces such as CARB (California Air Resources Board) and the EPA that quietly chip away at our hobby in their attempts to regulate vehicle emissions. As a former CA resident and contractor I can say that CARB, a quasi legal agency which has the ability to levy and collect fines, represents an ongoing threat to the collector car hobby in CA and without SEMA and other similar efforts to keep a lid on these people the day will come when a 32 roadster like yours will have catalytic converters and other SMOG control devices on the engine or even worse the car won't be street legal for failing an emission test and will be drivable only to shows and then with a permit. Should CARB succeed in regulating our vehicles in this manner it won't be a huge step for the EPA to follow. When it comes to vehicle emissions as CA goes so goes the nation.
Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #26
Bored&Stroked

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Even though I posted the update on what Road & Track and others found out, I went ahead and signed the petition. I have no problem with SEMA, they are constantly fighting and protecting the rights of us as well as all the manufacturers they represent. Without folks/organizations to fight the over-reach of our Government, we'd all be in a world of hurt as far as building/operating our vintage autos. Hell, everybody would have to own a Prius for some to be happy.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #27
sidevalve8ba

" Hell, everybody would have to own a Prius for some to be happy."

I have heard rumors of an organization called "The Anti-Prius League". Maybe the time has come to find out if it is real or imagined and if it is real what does it stand for?
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #28
white64

Using hand signals and having one taillight were on cars that rarely exceeded 35 mph, So.. imagine you're in a black model t at night on a 60 mph highly traveled roadway, using hand signals; and some kid or grandma traveling over the speed limit can't see your single blue dot taillight...

Just doesn't sound too safe to me, now I understand the bitchin', but I also understand the reasoning behind the regulation.
white64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #29
rotorwrench

Most Amish folks don't drive their buggies after dark but all that I've seen have the universal slow moving vehicle reflectors on the back. Most early Fords, Model A & prior, don't do well for too long in the dark anyway. At least the old Fords don't have to worry about the road apple situation. You can just tell the coppers that it's a tractor and your on your way home.

If folks don't get together and team up with some lobbyist organizations that look out for the car hobby's rights then they won't have much of a say about what goes on with their governments or their rights. Freedom ain't free. We have to step up and work at it sometimes to keep it livable for us.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote