Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #1
koates

Default Anzac

Today, 25th April is ANZAC day for Australia and New Zealand. We remember all who served and all who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Lest we forget. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:12 AM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Anzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
today, 25th april is anzac day for australia and new zealand. We remember all who served and all who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Lest we forget. Regards, kevin.
ditto!
Old 04-25-2018, 12:16 AM   #3
Benson

Amen.

Last edited by Benson; 04-25-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:25 AM   #4
160B

Having been in Australia on ANZAC day we were impressed with the honor bestowed on their veterans but also the national pride of all Australians. Good on ya mate!!!

https://www.facebook.com/StyromaxCom...IyODI3MDM4NjI/

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:45 AM   #5

Anzac Day is special to me, like a lot of other Australians. I have a great grandfather in law who saw service in France WW1, my own father served in North Africa, and did two tours of duty in the Owen Stanley Ranges in New Guinea, WW2, and a son who had a tour of duty in Afgan region. For myself a number of years in the RAAF Reserve and still a member of the RAAF Association.
Today I attended the Dawn service at the Cenotaph on the banks of the river Derwent at around 6.00am. In total darkness, except for a lectern light, over a thousand people stood in silence, as the dawn light came up over the Eastern shore hills. There were four service people standing on the corners of the cenotaph plinth, and there in the dark perfect outline against the rising sun.
Home for breakfast and off to a Memorial Mass at my local church and on to the March proper from the City centre to the Cenotaph.
Lest we forget.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:13 AM   #6
updraught

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I'd like to see the new John Monash Centre in France one day.
https://sjmc.gov.au/

I think it is about time his story is told. He seems to have been the only one that didn't think that throwing humans at machine guns was a good idea. I guess his german and engineering background helped.

From wikileaks:

"On 8 August 1918, the Battle of Amiens was launched. Allied troops under the command of Field Marshal Douglas Haig, predominantly Rawlinson's British 4th Army (consisting of the Australian Corps under Monash and the Canadian Corps under Arthur Currie, and the British III Corps) attacked the Germans. The allied attack was spearheaded by the Australian Corps, who had been given the capture of enemy artillery as a key objective in the first phase by Monash in order to minimize the potential harm to the attacking forces.[32] The battle was a strong, significant victory for the Allies, the first decisive win for the British Army of the war,[33] causing the Germans to recognise that for them the War was lost. The defeated German leader, General Erich Ludendorff, described it in the following words: "August 8th was the black day of the German Army in the history of the war".[34] These operations were just a start of a broad Allied offensive across the Western Front. On 12 August 1918, at Château de Bertangles, Monash was knighted as a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath on the battlefield by King George V,[3][35] the first time a British monarch had honoured a commander in such a way in 200 years.[36]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Monash
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:21 AM   #7
RUNNERBUN

Today it was my great honor to carry three veterans in my Model A in the Anzac day parade.
It was a moving and emotional experience.
Lest we forget.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:23 AM   #8
Synchro909

For WW1, Australia lost more men than any other country on a per capital basis and the war was on the other side of the world! I remember when I was a child there being many women who had never found a husband. There simply were not enough men left.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

It's worth taking a few minutes to listen to this no matter what country you are from. The sentiments are universal.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dtw2OCIoCs

Last edited by Synchro909; 04-25-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:34 AM   #9
Hoogah

Four years ago, I had the unenviable task of packing up my parents' house for sale, after mum had been moved into aged care with early stage dementia. She didn't have the capacity to attempt even part of this task. In the clean up, I came across some medals and photos of my great uncle Stan, who I always knew was killed in WW1. He was never discussed in any more detail all the time that I was growing up, and then his living relatives died, leaving no further information.
I spent that night on the internet and by the end of it, had downloaded the whole story by way of documents held by the Australian War Memorial.
Like his father, he was a farrier in Eaglehawk. He had enlisted in August 1914 at the age of 20, and sent initially to Egypt (I have the classic photos of him and his mates in front of the pyramids - it must have seemed like such an adventure). That photo was sent to his sister, dated 17th April 1915. 8 days later he was dead, killed in the fateful landing on Gallipoli's shores.
That news however took two years to be confirmed to his agonised family. There were copies of heartfelt letters written to the Defence Dept by his brother (my grandpa) over that period, pleading for information as to his whereabouts, and witness statements that told various stories about his fate, from being in hospital in England with a mental breakdown, to being wounded and transferred to hospital in Alexandria, to being buried where he fell in Turkey after being wounded in the arm and shoulder by gunfire. The last option was the one that the military court finally made official.
There was another letter accompanying his effects, sent back to his family - a bible, letters, cards, pipe, purse, dice, wallet, notebook, paper, photos, drinking cup and safety razor - almost three years after his death, and finally one that accompanied his war medals (which I treasure) - poor consolation.
It's a sad, sad story and one that was repeated so many times, and is still repeated today. For what?
I paid my respects to Uncle Stan at the dawn service in Warrnambool this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070406.jpg (19.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg StanleyOliverDunstan-BroadmeadowsCamp1914_0001 (2).jpg (35.2 KB, 34 views)
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #10
1930artdeco

May we never forget any of them, from any country and may we finally get smart enough and evolve to get rid of war.

Mike
1.5 yrs till retirement from the USAF
Old 04-25-2018, 08:27 AM   #11
updraught

This is how it was reported here 100 years ago

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...25-h0z7hm.html

The WW1 German tank still exists here, the only one left.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mephisto_(tank)
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:02 AM   #12
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Today, 25th April is ANZAC day for Australia and New Zealand. We remember all who served and all who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Lest we forget. Regards, Kevin.
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

Amen, brother
Old 04-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #13
Synchro909

I posted this link last night but it seems to have disappeared. It's worth taking a few minutes to hear this poem. I think anyone will relate regardless of where they are from.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dtw2OCIoCs
Old 04-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #14
Mad Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
For WW1, Australia lost more men than any other country on a per capital basis and the war was on the other side of the world!
I think you will find that New Zealand had that tragic honour.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #15
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
I've always believed otherwise but let's say that there would be no doubt the ANZACS hold the unenviable title.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #16
Hoogah

Quote:
Turns out that neither Oz nor NZ hold this dubious record, by a long shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #17
Mad Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
Turns out that neither Oz nor NZ hold this dubious record, by a long shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties
Thats interesting. Just shows how unreliable anecdotal evidence is - we have always understood the "tragic honour" to be ours, but that is obviously way out (assuming Wikipedia is correct). It appears that the impact on countries like France UK and Russia was much greater.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #18
Karl

Quote:
Thats interesting. Just shows how unreliable anecdotal evidence is - we have always understood the "tragic honour" to be ours, but that is obviously way out (assuming Wikipedia is correct). It appears that the impact on countries like France UK and Russia was much greater.
I suspect the Wiki figures include a lot of civilian deaths for France and Russia. I have yet to get to Gallipoli but speaking to people who have been there it is an intensely moving experience .

I have been to the cemetery at Suda Bay in Crete and found a great 1/2 Uncles grave there (almost by accident) even though I never knew him it was still quite moving.

In retrospect the loss of life seems such a tragic waste . However what would our world look like if they hadn't fought for it ?? Some one once said war is fought by young people because they are the only ones that believe that they won't be killed. I see it every day at work Teenagers who believe it (Pregnancy, Sexually transmitted Infections, Drug addiction , Smoking related conditions, Drunk driving crashes and so on ) won't happen to them! Frustrating but I was the same
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote