Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #41
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Power Steering Make Up 56 Wagon

Also, as I mentioned before, the '55/56 bushing kit did not come with the steel tube sleeve as they were not originally designed for them.
The 1957 and later ram cylinder did have a factory installed sleeve which was an improvement (protecting the end of the ram cylinder shaft in the event the rubber bushings were damaged). So be warned that if your ram cylinder is a '55/56 unit, you must be diligent in inspecting the bushings periodically for wear and replacing them before they get too bad OR the ram cylinder shaft will rest and slide on the cast iron idler arm bracket, damaging the shaft.
More info: Fomoco installed a ram cylinder with an external copper tubing return line up until about mid 1955. The late '55 through 1956 ram cylinder had this return passage internal to the unit. The 1957 cylinders all had internal return passages but the cylinder was a completely different unit that could easily be differentiated from the older '55/56 cylinders just by eyesight.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #42
KULTULZ

Post Re: Power Steering Make Up 56 Wagon

The biggest problem here is the lack of quality aftermarket parts/kits and wear/lack of effective repair/proper maintenance over the years.

It is just like me, completely worn out...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #43
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
dmsfrr....If I were you, I would get rid of that piece of scrap iron bracket and get the original T-bird idler arm power steering bracket if you can. .....
scrap iron bracket??? I'm confused, it's a one piece cast part that looks to be oem Ford, see previous photos on pg 2, comment #23.
Does the correct T-bird bracket have a recess for the crush-nut? You mentioned earlier that the full-sized car bracket has that recess.

In any case I'll likely leave it alone unless it breaks again.
As of now the frame is welded back together with a nut the next size larger & matching flat washer welded inside the frame, for the bottom bolt hole.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-24-2018 at 07:53 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #44
Jwawhite

K, that's how I repaired my C5 radiator support Assy., used a bolt and nut to start the crushing process inside the frame...
dmsffr, my bracket on the bottom side of my frame does not fit flush, I can see the heads of the crush nuts.
Dave, I measured last week when the issue arose from a kit ...junk aftermarket, obviously would not work. My threads are 7/16 x 20, the useable shaft space is 1" and the shaft space at the bracket is in great shape. I ordered the complete kit from Casio and should be here by Fri....Coffee and Cars on Sat., hopefully.
My shaft does have a slow drip issue, wonder why it's over $300 to rebuild one? The Ram has to be cut open to replace an inner seal! The outer parts can be replaced but I think I'll wait for a time when I can use a car rack. Also I understand it's difficult to r&r the the seal on shaft end.
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:31 AM   #45
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

...scrap iron bracket???

I'm confused, but I believe it's a one piece cast oem Ford part, see previous photos on pg 2, reply #23.
You have the correct bracket.

Three main styles for this period-

54/56 FORD
57/59 FORD
55/57 BIRD

As long as a previous owner did not swap or switch.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:49 AM   #46
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

The biggest problem here is the lack of quality aftermarket parts/kits and wear/lack of effective repair/proper maintenance over the years.

It is just like me, completely worn out...
Let me expound... ...on this statement-

The aftermarket 53/56 kits are not correct. They have incorrectly shaped insulators (appears to be from later 57/ FORD kit). The early insulators are/were conical in shape to fit withing the washers (which are not included) and special relief(s) in the 3351 bracket to control insulator movement.

57/ FORD (not BIRD) was changed in that there was a sleeve used to better control insulator movement.

Shown below are three present day vendor kits. The insulators are incorrect on the 53/56 FORD - 55/57 BIRD kit(s).

One vendor has two separate style kits shown with the same PN. If they don't know, how are you supposed to know?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B3AZ 3C590-A _2A - Vendor.jpg (15.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg B3AZ 3C590-A _2B - Vendor - LARRY'S BIRD (T3590A).jpg (37.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg B3AZ 3C590-A _2C - Vendor.JPG (18.0 KB, 3 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 02-16-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #47
Jwawhite

Here's what is in the CASCO Kit, apparently covers 55 and 56 which have different sized shafts and grommets. Mine I believe are the upper washers, grommets, lower left nut and lock washer. Who needs the other parts, Dave?
Whoops held iPad wrong way!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0480.jpg (38.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #48
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post
Here's what is in the CASCO Kit, apparently covers 55 and 56 which have different sized shafts and grommets. Mine I believe are the upper washers, grommets, lower left nut and lock washer. Who needs the other parts, Dave?
Whoops held iPad wrong way!

If that Casco kit is available, GET IT. It contains all the rubber bushings, washers and nuts for both ends of the ram cylinder.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:11 PM   #49
Jwawhite

Installed, Cars and Coffee tomorrow!
Put a Jam Nut on the end, this Unit shakes a bit with engine on and wheel to L and R stops.
Silicone grease on grommets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0481.jpg (39.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #50
dmsfrr

Quote:
... this Unit shakes a bit with engine on and wheel to L and R stops. ...
Are you saying the rod moves end to end, more than the least little bit?
The new rubber bushings should be squeezed a fair amount when they're installed. You may need to add a couple washers to get them very snug on the cast bracket.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #51
Jwawhite

It jiggles, if the threaded part is 3/4", about half ? is used visualizing from outer washer to stud end. Do grommets absorb the Ram action? They are bulging a bit from 90 edge now.
Think more?
Old 02-16-2018, 08:24 PM   #52
dmsfrr

It's a *you've got to be there* sort of thing but the rod shouldn't jiggle or move by grabbing / pulling it with your hands, except the very slightest amount.
Both grommets should have a good bulge in their sides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PS rod washers 1.jpg (40.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-16-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #53
Jwawhite

Have you looked "at the action" with car motor on and turning steering wheel full stop L and R? , while on stands? What year is your T Bird? I have some room left on threads to tighten more.

Do you know a Fred Sanchez in your area?
Old 02-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #54
dmsfrr

Quote:
Have you looked "at the action" with car motor on and turning steering wheel full stop L and R? , while on stands? What year is your T Bird? I have some room left on threads to tighten more.

Do you know a Fred Sanchez in your area?
No "action", it's a project '55 that isn't quite together yet. A couple more turns should be ok.
The name Fred Sanchez doesn't sound familiar.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-16-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:10 PM   #55
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Power Steering Make Up 56 Wagon

Quote:

Here's what is in the CASCO Kit, apparently covers 55 and 56 which have different sized shafts and grommets. Mine I believe are the upper washers, grommets, lower left nut and lock washer.

Who needs the other parts, Dave?
You Do!

Now this is a complete quality kit!

Quote:

Installed, Cars and Coffee tomorrow!

Put a Jam Nut on the end, this Unit shakes a bit with engine on and wheel to L and R stops.

Silicone grease on grommets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

It's a *you've got to be there* sort of thing but the rod shouldn't jiggle or move by grabbing / pulling it with your hands, except the very slightest amount.

Both grommets should have a good bulge in their sides.
The retaining nut(s) needs to be tightened (torque value in SM). There should be very slight movement (insulators) under pressure.

On your install (3rd attachment), the PAL NUT is not on the threads far enough. It could fall (vibrate) off.

My old lady tightens mine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B3AZ 3C590-A _2D - Combined 3C589-3C590 - CASCO.jpg (38.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg B5S 3351-A _5 (3).jpg (40.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0481.jpg (39.6 KB, 12 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #56
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr

The blind nut inside the frame pulled thru and someone tack welded the casting to the frame, which of course didn't stay put at all. Had to open up the frame to put in a replacement nut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan 02-08-2018 Post #17

dmsfrr...

The power steering idler arm bracket is a cast iron idler arm and ram cylinder holding bracket all in one piece.

One bolt to hold the ram cylinder shaft end is not enough. That's partly why it failed along with someone trying to attempt to weld cast iron.
The 55/57 BIRD 3351 MTG BRACKET only utilized a single cap screw at the bottom of the rail, the FORD applications two. Why I would not know.

Same amount of stress exerted (allowing for vehicle weight).

Quote:
Fomoco made at least three different power steering idler arm brackets in the mid fifties. I have a couple spare ones out in the garage with a 100% complete refurbished '55 power steering setup.

The brackets I have are not correct for the full size Fords. Maybe T-bird, or truck?
Shown below is the early (pre-57) FORD bracket (1st photo) with the reliefs for the nut inserts as you described previously.

Also shown is he 55/57 BIRD bracket (2nd photo).

That CASCO kit (combined 3C590 and 3C589) is worth it's weight in gold...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3511- 56 MERC Take-Off.jpg (48.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg B5S 3351-A _2.jpg (41.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg B3AZ 3C590-A _2D - Combined 3C589-3C590 Kits - CASCO_crop.jpg (35.9 KB, 5 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 02-22-2018 at 06:36 PM. Reason: HOPEFULLY TO CLARIFY POST INFO
Old 02-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #57
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Shown below is the early (pre-57) FORD bracket with the reliefs for the nut inserts as you described previously. Also shown is he 55/57 BIRD.

That is correct. The first picture shows the factory bracket for full-size cars and wagons. The second picture shows the bracket for T-Birds.

dmsfrr NOTICE that what you have on your Bird is a factory manual steering idler arm bracket and a separate cast iron bracket to hold the ram cylinder shaft end. It appears to be a factory Bird bracket with the idler arm bushing collar cut-off of it. Having these separate like this could result in mis-alignment of the ram cylinder with relation to it's proper position on the frame. Do the factory holes in the bracket and frame line up???
Old 02-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #58
dmsfrr

Quote:
..... The second picture shows the bracket for T-Birds.

dmsfrr NOTICE that what you have on your Bird is a factory manual steering idler arm bracket and a separate cast iron bracket to hold the ram cylinder shaft end. It appears to be a factory Bird bracket with the idler arm bushing collar cut-off of it. Having these separate like this could result in mis-alignment of the ram cylinder with relation to it's proper position on the frame. Do the factory holes in the bracket and frame line up???
Yes all three mounting holes line up.

I'm confused. The PS/idler arm bracket on this '55 Bird is one cast piece (photos below) and looks just like the Macs image that KULTULZ attached above, and also at this link....
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_t...g-1955-57.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Idler - PS bracket front c.jpg (35.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Idler - PS bracket rear c.jpg (48.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-22-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #59
KULTULZ

Quote:

dmsfrr NOTICE that what you have on your Bird is a factory manual steering idler arm bracket and a separate cast iron bracket to hold the ram cylinder shaft end. It appears to be a factory Bird bracket with the idler arm bushing collar cut-off of it.

Having these separate like this could result in mis-alignment of the ram cylinder with relation to it's proper position on the frame. Do the factory holes in the bracket and frame line up???
Dave-

He has the correct MTG BRKT (3351) for the 55/57 BIRD. Go back and check his posts/photos.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-24-2018, 08:04 AM   #60
KULTULZ

Question Re: Power Steering Make Up 56 Wagon

Hey dmsfrr-

I imagine you frequent BIRD only forums a lot. Have you noticed any other 55/57 BIRD failures/complaints such as this?

- DISCLAIMER -