Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2016, 03:06 AM   #1
DougVieyra

Default MAC's Model A parts and Service - Any Good Reports?

There have been quite a few posts on this forum regarding negative reports about MAC'S Model A parts and service.

I have never ordered from MAC'S or had any dealings with them, I only have read all the negative comments here on the Forum. Today however, I did spend some time purusing their catalog, and I found it useful, informative and well laid out.

How about a thread that just relates the positive reports of good parts and good service. Please - nothing negative on this particular thread - there have been plenty of the negative already reported - no need to beat a dead horse with a lot of redundancy. We all have read LOTS of bad reports about MAC'S, but now I would like hear only the GOOD side of the discussion.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:03 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: MAC's Model A parts and Service - Any Good Reports?

I have 6 Model A Fords and 90 % of my parts come from Macs. I have had minor problems but every one has been resolved satisfactorily. They also have the very best catalogue. Many of the people that criticize them are constant complainers or following the example of a group leader. Many frugile / cheap Barners want high quality for low price which rarely happens in a retail market. On the reverse side, if you are happy with your present vendor why change? Wayne.

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-11-2016 at 09:08 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:07 AM   #3
chrisabes

I've been getting all my spares through Mac's for the past 18 months and have not had any reason to change i generally receive my order within 10 days of sending my order, that is to Australia. Postage is very reasonable.
On a couple of occasions I have had to report a defective part and have had them replaced at no cost .
Their web site is easy to locate parts.
chrisabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:37 AM   #4
3.6rs

I placed orders 3 times in the last two months, first time I had my package within 3 days (placed order on friday evening/EU and received package on monday!) Second and third time it took longer because some parts weren't in stock and they did not email me about that. If I order something I need the parts to be shipped right away, I can not wait days/weeks for parts in back order. What they don't have I don't need, I will order at another supplier. Shipping prices for EU are the cheapest at Mac's.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
Ted Duke

I have not ordered from them recently, but I have never had any problems they didn't solve quickly.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #6
180 a

Macs parts are not of good quality
180 a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180 a View Post
Thousands of satisfied customers totally disagree with you. What proof do you have to substantiate your blanket statement? Please note that the original post asked for no negative comments. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-11-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
prpmmp

Quote:
So who makes good parts? I'm not being argumentative,(Mitch will kick my arse)! How many different manufactures of parts are there? Don't most parts come from the same manufactures and then sold by different company's? Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #9
ModAfan

I have ordered from Mac's for several years and I have never had a reason to be dissatisfied.
ModAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Talking Re: MAC's Model A parts and Service - Any Good Reports?

Quote:
Which of the thousands of parts they sell are you referring to or are you referring to all their parts in general. How many purchases have you made that you were unsatisfied with? Wayne
Old 12-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpmmp View Post
So who makes good parts? I'm not being argumentative,(Mitch will kick my arse)! How many different manufactures of parts are there? Don't most parts come from the same manufactures and then sold by different company's? Pete
Pete, therein lies the problem. Contrary to what most people think, it is companies like MACs who often duplicate an item that is already being manufactured ...and try to manufacture it with less quality and at a cheaper price. The reason they do that is because there are many hobbyists (-Fordbarner's included) who choose to buy the cheaper part without regard for quality. When they do, it makes it difficult for other manufacturers to make a profit, ....OR they do not choose to manufacture other new parts in a better quality. In addition to this, many people that purchase MACs or Specialized's parts often do not know how to distinguish a quality part over a poorly-manufactured one.

My suggestion is everyone steer clear of buying from MACs if you truly are interested in the quality of parts.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
wrndln

This string could be fairly short if all the posts are from ONLY people satisfied with MAC's. I concur with Brent about MAC's - I wont go any farther than that even though I could. I would recommend doing a search here on Fordbarn for MAC's for a true and honest assessment of MAC's.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
There have been quite a few posts on this forum regarding negative reports about MAC'S Model A parts and service.

I have never ordered from MAC'S or had any dealings with them, I only have read all the negative comments here on the Forum. Today however, I did spend some time purusing their catalog, and I found it useful, informative and well laid out.

How about a thread that just relates the positive reports of good parts and good service. Please - nothing negative on this particular thread - there have been plenty of the negative already reported - no need to beat a dead horse with a lot of redundancy. We all have read LOTS of bad reports about MAC'S, but now I would like hear only the GOOD side of the discussion.
That lasted long
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #14
3.6rs

Quote:
Who will tell wich part comes from wich supplier ??
I had a unopened bag with parts ordered at Mac's but with the stamp from Snyders ! (see other thread)
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #15
SeaSlugs

I do like thier catalog and the diagrams are nice and easy to read too. Cant say I've orders thru them though. To me the way I see it MACS is like the jcwhitney for model a parts while Snyders, brattons, etc are the specialty shops that you can call and they know what they are talking about.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #16
redmodelt

I've gotten items from them, no issue.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #17
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.6rs View Post
Who will tell wich part comes from wich supplier ??
I had a unopened bag with parts ordered at Mac's but with the stamp from Snyders ! (see other thread)
I have received many parts from other suppliers that come in Mac's packaging. I've received many parts NOT in Mac's packaging from other suppliers that were unacceptable quality and/or not even close to original look/construction.

My guess is that if we succeed in driving Mac's out of business, many of our reproduced parts will disappear altogether, quality on some remaining ones will go down, and all prices will go up.

I suggest we order from our favorite supplier(s) and leave it at that. We are super fortunate to have ALL the suppliers we have.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post

My guess is that if we succeed in driving Mac's out of business, many of our reproduced parts will disappear altogether, quality on some remaining ones will go down, and all prices will go up.

Definitely one way to look at it. On the other hand, some of those disappeared items may just return however this time offered in a better quality. Remember, --a manufacturer cannot make a good quality item when the competition is too great with an inferior product. A good example is shackles. I know of at least one manufacturer that was working on producing a good quality shackle however the pricing would be more than the India-made ones are. Too big of a chance with the $$ investment to offer a quality piece when folks seemingly want to buy the cheap ones.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #19
diomed

I ordered a cam thrust plunger and spring from them for $3.75. Shipping was $18 because they put it in a 12x4x4 box. It arrived quickly and was not damaged.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #20
mike657894

50/50 which is bad. some of the parts worked others were full failures. I bought a mirror to attach to the door. and it has zero resistance on the joint all flop no hold and i mean zero hold. and that is a "macs" product. I have had better luck with berts and mikes a fordable. mikes has low cost parts but i wasn't happy with the points set from mikes but with 20 min of bending and tuning they sit right but i would say buy points from somewhere else. I haven't tried Snyder yet. I ordered from tams but cant remember what it was so must have been ok. But in short macs sends shit products out for model a's and puts there name on the box they asked for the bad reputation they have.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote