Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
hotrodrich

Default Radiator Overflow Tube

I have a 1930 A and the radiator overflow tube has been pinched closed. Is this done for a reason?
hotrodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
1crosscut

Default Re: Radiator Overflow Tube

I'm thinking that someone that kept their radiator overly full may have gotten frustrated with coolant pushing out the overflow tube. They pinched it shut to try to stop that from happening.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
eagle

As long as it is not sealed it should be OK. Test it by filling the radiator, then pushing a hose onto the outlet end of the overflow tube, run the other end of the hose to a container, such as a soda bottle. Start the engine, and as it heats up you should see coolant flow into the bottle. If it doesn't, then the overflow tube is sealed and will need to be unsealed, just treat the radiator gently, old solder and copper can be brittle.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #4
hotrodrich

The tube only extends about 6" from the top of the radiator and it is pinched closed. I am going to cut off the end so it will be open and run it all the way to the bottom of the radiator and clear of anything it will shoot onto. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
hotrodrich

Eagle, I just read your quote, "There are some that can destroy......." I love that! I have a buddy that helps me a lot and he's like that. His history is that he was a Catapiller mechanic all his life.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
eagle

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodrich View Post
The tube only extends about 6" from the top of the radiator and it is pinched closed. I am going to cut off the end so it will be open and run it all the way to the bottom of the radiator and clear of anything it will shoot onto. Thanks for the help.
Aha! Got it. I was thinking someone had crimped the tube INSIDE the radiator, I've saw that before. Outside is a different story, my previous post is irrelevant.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #7
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodrich View Post
Eagle, I just read your quote, "There are some that can destroy......." I love that! I have a buddy that helps me a lot and he's like that. His history is that he was a Catapiller mechanic all his life.
Yeah, and that's not necessarily aimed at others, I think we've probably all been in the situation where a "repair" we've done has left the situation worse off than if we'd just left it alone!