Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2020, 05:45 PM   #21
whirnot

Default Re: Add on items- increase, decrease, no difference in value?

I am not a total purist, but for me, The overdrive, some add, the others? Deal killer

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #22
eagle

I get a kick out of reading the anti A/C posts... kind of like the fox and the sour grapes.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:44 PM   #23
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
I get a kick out of reading the anti A/C posts... kind of like the fox and the sour grapes.
So how does that story go again??

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:56 PM   #24
MAG

This one has all the options mentioned. 12 volts, Overdrive (F150), AC. If I did not do extended road trips I might not have done either of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AC Town Sedan 1.JPG (104.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg AC Town Sedan.jpg (39.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #25
30 Closed Cab PU

Looks like to summarize - is dependent on the buyer, what he wants, and the intended use. That's one thing that is great about this hobby, there is room for everyone.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:00 AM   #26
Karl

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Must have missed that fable . For me the accessories don't add anything to the value and in fact the removal costs would be factored into the price I would pay . Having done in excess of 50000 miles in various A's without any of them -they seem to be a fix for a problem I have yet to experience. I know that in a modern car the a/c takes up to 30% of the power developed by the engine . 30% of 40Hp doesn't leave you with a lot -I'll just wind the window down and pop the windshield out. However each to their own
Old 04-29-2020, 06:44 AM   #27
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Must have missed that fable . For me the accessories don't add anything to the value and in fact the removal costs would be factored into the price I would pay . Having done in excess of 50000 miles in various A's without any of them -they seem to be a fix for a problem I have yet to experience. I know that in a modern car the a/c takes up to 30% of the power developed by the engine . 30% of 40Hp doesn't leave you with a lot -I'll just wind the window down and pop the windshield out. However each to their own
You summed it up very well, “ to each their own “! If you like those options great, if you don’t, just move on.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #28
old31

I agree with Eagle 100% (#3).

Depending on what part of the country you are at, the AC would be very nice, but not for the purists.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:21 AM   #29
Fairview

Thanks for the input on the accessories. For my purposes of a long distance trip, the overdrive is a plus assuming the rest of the car, brakes and steering, is up to the task. The air conditioning would be a plus if not overshadowed by the added complexity.

Anyone have insight on the asking price, $18,400, for this 31 Slant Window Town Sedan?

Brent helped me get the photos on the first page of this thread. Here’s the link to the ad. I talked to the owner, but haven’t seen the car in person yet.

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i...Anull%7D%22%7D
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #30
McMimmcs

The Corona virus has adversely affected collector car prices. Nobody is looking and nobody is buying. Two National publications have talked about plummeting prices. You likely won't be in a bidding war. Let that be your guide. .
Old 04-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #31
30 Closed Cab PU

My opinion, have no clue what it is worth.

Take a friend/club member who is A knowledgeable and go look at. The other person might help you with a second opinion. For that kind of money it should be "well sorted out". If you want it, make a reasonable offer, don't lowball which turns off the seller and causes him to dig in his heels on the price.

If spending a few grand more makes you happy for 20 years, money well spent. Remember it is a hobby not an investment, you probably will not get all your money back when it is time to sell it.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #32
Dave in MN

Pretty much everything has been covered well in the previous posts. The car presents itself very well from the photos you posted. The workmanship of the new looking interior and the body/paint looks very good. If I were looking to purchase, I would offer, carefully to not offend, about 20% less and see where it goes. With the equipment included, I think it would make a wonderful car for touring.

Life is too short to not have a good Model A to drive. Hell, it's too short even with a good one (or more). Buy it and enjoy it while you are healthy enough to do so!
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 04-29-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #33
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
The Ken Davis system uses 1HP to turn the compressor. you can be sitting there idling at and kick it on and barely even tell a difference. I have my idle set for 500RMP regardless of if I plan on turning the AC on or not.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #34
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
My opinion, have no clue what it is worth.

Take a friend/club member who is A knowledgeable and go look at. The other person might help you with a second opinion. For that kind of money it should be "well sorted out". If you want it, make a reasonable offer, don't lowball which turns off the seller and causes him to dig in his heels on the price.

If spending a few grand more makes you happy for 20 years, money well spent. Remember it is a hobby not an investment, you probably will not get all your money back when it is time to sell it.
Your summation is very logical. All parts of it well thought out. Especially the caution concerning a hobby not investment. A keeper plan for sure'!
Old 04-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #35
ronn

The Corona virus has adversely affected collector car prices. Nobody is looking and nobody is buying. Two National publications have talked about plummeting prices. You likely won't be in a bidding war. Let that be your guide. .

I agree, except on cheaper stuff. I have been selling a ton of stuff this past month to people who are tired of being locked up.

regarding the mentioned car- it either ticks off all the boxes or it doesnt. I would have no interest. For me it is a hot rod. But, the add ons are easily worth several thousand dollars if they are what YOU want.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote