Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
LopezCarguy

Unhappy Chrome or how to go broke fast

Checked three different chrome shops for prices and time to do parts for Cabriolet, all were months out and prices through roof... cowl band: $280 rear bumper: $450 for one side. Last place I gave up and left cowl band, two door handles and escutions, and both Landau Irons...came to $815.00 guess I will just buy repops they are a whale of lot cheaper...just not authentic...just like paint today, prices are putting restoring a car upside down price wise...not counting labor...
Old 11-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
joncrane

Default Re: Chrome or how to go broke fast

Sad part is the Chrome shop is not getting rich. The government regulations, costs of compliance and reporting/certification documentation (paper) simply drives the price up. I hear that the company that whips the part to Mexico and then devlivers it to you is making a few dollars. the local plating shop is not.
joncrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Stretch Cab

When I lived in Mexico 8 years ago I had a lot of chrome work done real cheap. I thought at that time it would be a good business to be the middleman in. Without getting political its to bad our government is killing so many jobs with questionable restrictions.
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
Jim/GA

This is all part of the big picture plan to regulate the "dirty businesses" out of business in the USA. You can't outlaw them directly, but you can make the cost of doing business so high that you soon close your doors. It is being done in many industries, not just chrome plating. Very sad.

I predict driving an old car will soon be attacked in the same way, due to the emissions put out by the old engine. They can't block it outright, so they will regulate and "tax" it so heavily that you cannot afford to drive it.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Great Lakes Greg

I would suggest Craig Riker in Toledo, but the shipping would put you in the same spot.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
Synchro909

Angry Re: Chrome or how to go broke fast

Guys, you are not alone here. Most electro plating businesses have closed down here and the prices through the roof. I'm afraid its all part of the reason there is not much restoration done now. Other reasons can be argued but the cost is the main one. Of course, the fact that none of the younger people have a clue how to do anything doesn't help.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
Kevin in NJ

There is no such thing a cheap quality plating work.

Craig Riker gave some reasonable prices for the A stuff.

I think he is so geared up for A that he can do it cheaper.

Cabriolet parts need to be done right. I spent some bucks at a supposedly high end shop, Paul's Chrome. They deformed the parts to the point they could not be used. They failed to follow directions and then said what I wanted would have required hand work which I thought I made it clear when I sent the parts I was will to pay the price for hand work.

So my advice is to find a shop that will give you quality work for all the cabriolet specific parts. Expect to pay through the nose for hand sanded parts and expect them to keep the parts to their original dimensions such that they still work when done. It will not be cheap but you will be able to use the parts when you are done.

As for directions, the shop did not even look at the 8 pages of notes on how the parts have to work together when done so they could check their work. I was amazed at how far the shop could distort the parts from factory dimensions. In all honesty, if you can the write the directions in english and spanish you may be better off. A lot of shops are finding better quality work in the spanish population. This was after a discussion with Frankfort plating and a shop in Atlanta.

A final note. Ford never used bright nickel plating. This will have an effect on the appearance of some parts. The backside of the bumpers is one area. Not many shops have a dull nickel tank and know how to chrome the dull nickel. The original plating was dull out of the nickel tank and needed a polishing step before going into the chrome tank.

Last edited by Kevin in NJ; 11-28-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
Rowdy
BANNED

After running a chrome plater for several years and then getting colon cancer in my mid 30's, I know why there are so many regulations. While I love the looks of chrome I know the real price. Rod
Old 11-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
Tinbasher

This sound familiar. Just priced two front bumper bars for my 28. $800.00 and that's a middle of the road shop not the high end guy.

Like everyone's saying the regulations are killing our business's. I guess something else that will go off shore. I know a guy that's sending chrome to India because of the price. All the chrome for a 69 Mustang. $380.00 plus shipping.and 6 months shipping time.

TB
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
Vic in E-TN

Smile Re: Chrome or how to go broke fast

There is a shop in Knoxville TN that recently did a good job of plating some bumpers and emergency brake handles, etc. for me and a friend. It took over a month but the price was very reasonable compared to what I have seen on this thread. They do a lot of Thunderbird and Rod stuff also.

Knox Custom Chrome
2216 Mohawk Ave
Knoxville, 37915
865-5463144
888-588-4552
865-546-5322 fax
knoxcustomchrome.com

Vic

Last edited by Vic in E-TN; 11-28-2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: add website
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

The problem with many of the repros is that they have cheap chrome that won't last. On top of that the base metal is in most cases not as good as Henry used. Bumpers that rust and bend instead of spring. You get what you pay for.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

I bought repro bumpers for my roadster from Smith and Jones model A parts in Columbia South Carolina in 2005 . They are spring steel, correct length, the back sides are correctly unpolished and they had a one year warranty. I couldn't be more pleased . I do keep my cars inside when not in use. The bumpers have held up perfectly for the past nine years. I don't have a currant Smith and Jones catalog. I'm sure that the prices have gone up but the best that I remember, I only paid $189.00 per end, front and back. I sent bumpers to Berts in Denver in 2000 and had them rechromed They did an excellent job at a very reasonable price. They quit doing rechrome work for a while but I think that they started back. Call 800-321-1931 tuesday through saturday at noon for info.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
5window

Paul's Chrome and Librandi's have good reps. But, you guys who are crying the big tears over government regs are WAY OFF BASE. Metal plating is a dangerous business-highly toxic, potentially environmentally dangerous. Do you really wish to poison the shop workers and the grounds and water around you for the sake of a few bucks cheaper product so your car will be prettier? That's pretty selfish on your part, maybe just screw your grandkids' world so you can restore your car?

Keeping in mind that the FB is supposed to be apolitical, I'd suggest we help the OP find the best possible outcome, but skip the blame on the government. Shipping stuff out of the country where other peoples' kids are being poisoned instead of ours because there aren't evironment protections is pretty sad, too. For shame.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #14
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
This is all part of the big picture plan to regulate the "dirty businesses" out of business in the USA. You can't outlaw them directly, but you can make the cost of doing business so high that you soon close your doors. It is being done in many industries, not just chrome plating. Very sad.

I predict driving an old car will soon be attacked in the same way, due to the emissions put out by the old engine. They can't block it outright, so they will regulate and "tax" it so heavily that you cannot afford to drive it.
Why is it Very Sad that unsafe businesses are regulated? Are you saying you are in favor of unsafe businesses continuing to spoil their environment and endanger their workers ?
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #15
Purdy Swoft

I suppose a person could just paint them silver or chrome aluminum with a spray can like I did my september 29 strip down.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #16
LopezCarguy

Man, I didn't mean to start a political discourse on environmental issues...just pointing out that restorations may come to a costly end...or maybe left to the ultra rich like Jay Leno... as for me I do it for the enjoyment as a hobby.. just that it has become so expensive it takes some of the enjoyment away...
Old 11-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #17
Purdy Swoft

If you plan to enter national judging it has already become a hobby for the rich guys. Its a shame .
Old 11-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Call Bert's on Tuesday he has ready plated originals for near the price of repops.

Re-Chromed Original Bumpers
28-29 Front A-17750-AP
30-31 Front A-17750-BP
28-29 Rear A-17751-AP
30-31 Rear A-17781-BP
$225.00 / exchange
Old 11-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #19
glenn in camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Cab View Post
When I lived in Mexico 8 years ago I had a lot of chrome work done real cheap. I thought at that time it would be a good business to be the middleman in. Without getting political its to bad our government is killing so many jobs with questionable restrictions.
A street rod friend in my neighborhood has a house in Mexico. He took some of my Model A stuff to his plating shop there. They did a good job for very little money. Sorry, I don't know the name of the place or where exactly it is. A middleman could make lots of money carrying parts back and forth.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #20
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post

Jim you are 100% correct, and when Big Gov-mint runs old cars off the road in the future the nay sayers will be stumped wondering 'Wha-happen?'

They are doing the same to the gun industry, price stuff so high the average Joe can't afford to own or practice at the range anymore. Called control.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote