Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
petehoovie

Default Goin thru the gears

2 Stick! - A lost art...."A man's truck"..."Separates the truck drivers from the housewives"....It's guys like this who won for us WW2

I get a flutter just listening to it...> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adXl1fASYII&t=337s

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #2
Dave Castle

Default Re: Goin thru the gears

Drove a 1954 Kenworth hauling a cement tanker for years. Had a 250 Cummings & a set of 4 x 4 sticks. The kids would look in the truck, how do you drive that ??
Old 12-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
VeryTangled

A MAN'S TRUCK!

I have to admit I've never seen a vehicle that had four (or more) gears to go backwards. Well maybe just one... But that was still super cool.

Here's what the Google says it looks like on the outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00000111.jpg (52.0 KB, 65 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

suuuuweet ! !
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
flatford8

That was in the Hemming’s daily post. I’ve driven thirteens, tens, eights and now ther’re all automatics. This guy would get a real kick out of what passes for a truck driver now...Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
Karl

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
2 Stick! - A lost art...."A man's truck"..."Separates the truck drivers from the housewives"....It's guys like this who won for us WW2

I get a flutter just listening to it...> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adXl1fASYII&t=337s

My father used to say when you drive a big truck you need to know how to drive- because if you don't do everything right it won't move-Karl
Old 12-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #7
Frank Miller

This may not be nice but I say automatic transmissions were the worst thing ever invented. If you cannot coordinate a clutch and brake how can you be a good driver. I'm sure there are many good drivers who cannot drive a standard. Did have the honor of teaching a friend's kid how to drive his Acura with a stick.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #8
19Fordy

That is an awesome video commemorating a lost art.

Amazing how technology has changed trucking vehicles.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #9
1952henry

I drove a farm truck for a neighbor. It was a twin screw IHC with a DT 466 coupled to a 5x4. Have seen a YouTube video of a fellow with triple mixer sticks rowing through 18 speeds. I put a few miles in a KW with a 500hp Cummins and an 18 speed. One stick with two triggers was enough.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
D. Jones

That is so neat to see and hear, it brings back memories of my first log truck a 1946 White with a BIG 6 cylinder gas motor and a 5x3 set of boxes and no syncro's in either box. I was nineteen at the time, only one year older than the truck. I thought I was a pretty hot driver as none of the other guys would drive it because they thought it too hard to shift. I can still hear the sound of that straight stack along side the drivers side of the cab. Between that stack and chainsaws I'm nearly deaf today.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #11
Licensed to kill

My Dad hauled logs on the west coast (Squamish) from about 1964 until he retired in 1996. They ran nothing but duplex transmissions but in about the early 80's?? IIRC they switched the auxiliary trans to air shift with the air shaft trigger ion a dummy stick. The last few trucks he drove had 10 & 4's in them. Twin sticks would be too much for most drivers today on the flat let alone on west coast logging roads. This is one of the trucks he drove, late 60's Pacific. You can see the steam rolling off the brakes. No engine brakes in those days and they used water to cool the brakes.
[IMG][/IMG]
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
fordv8j

I drove a B-series Mack tamden tractor, it had a four and a 5 speed trans, had to split the gears, up in one, down in the other, total 18 gears, took a while to get the hang of it
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #13
Darrell S

They are a lost art to operate but I can't imagine doing all that clutching in today's backed up traffic. Some times around here it takes hours to make a few miles.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #14
ford38v8

Out of my league here, but just want to comment on my own lack of experience that should have got me killed when I was young and dumber... A "simple" 5 ton dump with a splitter, overloaded with gravel, going downhill. To the initial question "Can you drive it?" my reply that I'd figure it out was almost my last, as I really could have used some advice related to faded brakes and governors and downshifting and such!
Old 12-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell S View Post
They are a lost art to operate but I can't imagine doing all that clutching in today's backed up traffic. Some times around here it takes hours to make a few miles.

I know what you mean. I don't know if it's the same now, but the worst traffic I ever experienced was in the Tacoma, Washington area back in 2006 while attending the EFV8 Club Western National Meet....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #16
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell S View Post
When my Dad was in his late 60's/early70's he had a hip replacement. When looking at the x-rays the doctor said to him, "you were a truck driver!". Dad said "yes, how can you tell", The doctor said "I see this all the time, left hip wore out the way yours is from years of double clutching".
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #17
Darrell S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
When my Dad was in his late 60's/early70's he had a hip replacement. When looking at the x-rays the doctor said to him, "you were a truck driver!". Dad said "yes, how can you tell", The doctor said "I see this all the time, left hip wore out the way yours is from years of double clutching".
I feel that now. Wear, tear and a little rust sets in. I like the saying "if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself."
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #18
cas3

its easier than you think, reason is the gear ratios in the big truck trannys all progress at the same engine rpm. a modern 13 spd for example, has a 400 rpm split. that means you watch the tach, run up to 1800, let off the throttle and at the same time pull the stick to neutral, then when rpms hit 1400 push the stick into the next gear up. no clutch except to start from a stop. the low rpms of a diesel mean slower gear speed in the trans, so its easy to feel the correct time to shove it in gear. after awhile you know the sound of the correct rpm, then never need the tach. i put a 5.9 cummins in a 47 diamond T a while back, and used a small twin stick mack 10 speed for the trans. commercial bellhousings are standardized into four sizes, so you can pick any trans you like.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #19
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
I know what you mean. I don't know if it's the same now, but the worst traffic I ever experienced was in the Tacoma, Washington area back in 2006 while attending the EFV8 Club Western National Meet....

Obviously, you have never tried to access a bridge onramp in the City By The Bay.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:02 AM   #20
big job

cas3 hit it on the nutshell. For those with a crunch box having trouble shifting, thats
how its done today on big rigs. Clutch only used for starting or reversing, other than
that= listen, these things do talk to you. As far as this 2 stick subject, I have a 1956
Ford 10 wheeler and I only use (aux) direct and overdrive.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote