Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: Rhythmic smoke puffing out of oil input breather cap

If it has a busted ring it will eventually score the cylinder & burn a piston. A person could do a single cylinder if it was traced back well enough as suspect. If it wasn't long since the last overhaul it could be deglazed an re-ringed on just the one bore. Usually all the cylinders will break in and all will have problems if it sets too long. Just one cylinder low make a person scratch their head for sure. Oil users can be brought back to life some times but compression is another thing. Sticky valves will cause a miss or intermittent flutter but it won't affect the crank case pressure. A good amount of compression is getting by somewhere if it's trying to make smoke signals out the filler tube.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #22
AnthonyG

After checking cylinders from top side (Suspect cyl looked fine as did all on right side) replaced head gasket reassembled ran a few times & issue remained the same. Still had odd compression readings in #2. This will be a first for me on a Flatty, I’ll be removing the engine & putting on an indexing stand removing head on #2 cyl side again flipping engine 180 degrees to remove piston # 2. I don’t think it’s any different then other engines for this process but any experience otherwise is appreciated.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #23
big job

back when I had a real job police dept. my detail was to run the generator each Friday night and switch the power for at least two hours 'work it'.. This generator a free WWII
army surplus free bee . It was a rabbit dist.so that says 59A; think it was around 10klwatt
It had a belt driven governor and ran about 1500 rpms. OD Drab green ran perfectly hour
meter around oh 500hrs or so. Bottom line Ya gotta run them. I ran that for my 25yrs
and I bet my life these new kids got rid of that for some new generack or something.
may have a broken ring ????? so my thoughts are to put your self in cold storage ok
and don't expect to get wake'd up after a long sleep to shovel snow...
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:11 PM   #24
AnthonyG

Reporting back. Removed piston #2, piston cracked between 2 top ring grooves. Rings had no damage. Sides of piston rubbing also one side of top edge.aluminum piston marked cyl but No damage to cyl. Aluminum scuffs came off easily w scotch bright cylinder wall smooth no damage. Will replace piston, rings & bearings.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:26 PM   #25
Tinker

Cracked piston. who'd a thonk on a new rebuild. Good catch, Explains the blowby. Is it the engine on your aviator?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #26
AnthonyG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Yep
Old 12-20-2019, 11:43 PM   #27
Tinker

AnthonyG, if the "yep" is to the picture of your aviator. I've seen that posted for a long time. Not a new rebuild, maybe I assumed.. my bad. Great car and engine.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #28
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Believe he is referring to the number of miles on the engine, not the time duration since the rebuild. That's why it is not a warranty issue, way past the time period.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #29
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
AnthonyG, if the "yep" is to the picture of your aviator. I've seen that posted for a long time. Not a new rebuild, maybe I assumed.. my bad. Great car and engine.

As Anthony noted early-on..." Engine is an 8BA 5 yrs old w 2000 miles on it...". DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #30
Mart

I'm struggling to imagine how a piston could fail like that. Anyone have any theories?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #31
frnkeore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I'm struggling to imagine how a piston could fail like that. Anyone have any theories?

Mart.
My only thought on it is, when the piston was installed, the ring compressor wasn't engaged properly on the piston and when the piston was struck, that second rig, popped out, initiating, a small surface crack, that finally migrated threw the land and the balance of the piston.

A good reason to always tap the ring compressor, down against the block, before tapping it down. It also needs to be done in one continuous stroke and not multiple strokes, because the compressor can bounce up, allowing a ring to pop out, on each stroke.

That actually happened to me, in my early days as a mechanic.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:56 PM   #32
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
As Anthony noted early-on..." Engine is an 8BA 5 yrs old w 2000 miles on it...". DD

Yes I see that now, just getting it broke in. I also suggested blowby. I'm super happy for Anthony for his findings and work.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #33
AnthonyG

More to the story! As I had engine apart w heads off I descovered an issue w the Offy heads & a common issue of spark plug reach. Thinking it caused detonation issues that created the piston issues. On the advise of many I pulled all pistons & saw the same issue & worse on 3 more pistons 2, 4, & 5. I believe the Offy head spark plug reach issue caused serious detonation issues & mess up plug firing causing detonation issues that cracked the lands between the rings! Order new forged pistons, resolved Offy head issue countersinking w 120degree countersink to open 437 reach plug to firing chamber & not contained in threaded hole for plug. Will Report back!
Old 01-09-2020, 09:56 PM   #34
Sid

What's the possibility of those pistons being Egge pistons?
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:04 PM   #35
AnthonyG

Don’t know what Egge pistons r? Busted pistons were domed cast type. See pics 2 c if u recognize?
Old 01-10-2020, 04:40 AM   #36
Mart

spam post reported
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:18 AM   #37
Bored&Stroked

I saw the first post with the cracked piston and I was just going to say that I'd be checking for detonation . . . then you found the rest. Detonation does very bad things to pistons - especially cast ones (not that forged ones last a whole lot longer). Hopefully the spark plug issue was the main issue. I'd surely mark your crank pulley with timing marks - such that you can accurately check your timing once the thing is back together . . . no reason not too. (You'll need a degree wheel).

Hopefully you plan to hone the cylinders for the new rings/pistons. What bore size are you running? You might see if Ross has a set of forged pistons with 1.5, 1.5, 3.0 metric rings - which is what I try to run on everything (depending on the bore size).

In December I had a set of custom Ross pistons made - 3.361 bore - just so I could run 1.5, 1.5, 3.0 moly metric rings. In today's world, we're coming to the point where the availability of quality rings - determines the final bore size of the pistons (not the other way around).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:48 AM   #38
Steve in Denver

Where is the PVC valve on an 8BA?
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #39
AnthonyG

Steve, I think u mean where is the PCV valve on mine? No flatheads have PCV valves unless u convert crankcase draft tube to a PCV system. I set my 8BA up using vac port under carb to PCV initially too draft tube but changed to Mopar style oil breather cap w tube for PCV https://www.google.com/search?client...10.SwD4lfXV-ZM
Old 01-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #40
AnthonyG

Bored&Stroked, sent original builder all piston assy’s along w conversation posts on the spark plug reach issues w Offy heads. He’s giving me a set of Ross Forged pistons, new rings & bearings @ cost & setting up new assy’s on his dime. As I believe i it was detonation caused by the messed up Offy head design w the 437 reach plugs being 4 threads.shy of reaching the firing chamber I don’t blame him & think he’s being fair throwing in his labor costs.
Yes I will be honing cyl’s even though the original cross hatching from original build is still visible which convinced builder I only had a couple thousand miles on it!