Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #1
larry harding

Default long speedo cable

i've just installed an overdrive in my 31 pickup, and the speedo drive of coarse is moved back near the rear end. can anyone supply longer cables? i talked to the guy from smith and jones when he was up for the meet in asheville last summer. he said he could fix me up, but when i caled a week or two ago he said he couldn't get the material for making cables at this time. any suggestions? i'm thinking of making some sort of coupling to connect two cables together if i don't find a better way.
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: long speedo cable

Look online or in the phone book for speedometer repair shops. They should/might be able to make up a new cable with proper ends. Here is one from a quick search;
http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/speedo.asp
If you can solder, buy the housing and install your ends.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
Synchro909

If you can't get a longer cable especially made, maybe you could try Mitchells. They provide a short extension with each of their O/Ds so that the cable reaches the new drive gears.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:24 PM   #4
larry harding

i'm still looking at options for the long speedo cable, so can someone tell me the length of the housing on a stock cable( i dont want to have to remove the dash to get this measurement) a friend gave me a cable today that measures 63", i think that is longer than the standard one. the catalogs don't give this measurement. i'm trying to calculate how long i'm going to need...stock length plus what it will take to reach the drive at the rear of the drive shaft. snyders lists some extra long cables for the aa trucks, might be something there that could work. texas industrial shows an angle drive that would allow the cable to follow the driveshaft and overdrive without having a big loop before hooking up.
no prices given for their products that i can see.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #5
gary678*

I have a 1930 Model A Cabriolet with an oval speedometer and a Borg Warner T5 transmission. When I purchased the car three years ago the speedometer did not work because of the incorrect size of the drive end at the attachment to the adapter on the rear end. I purchased a cable that was custom made (approx. 10' long) for $120; now my speedometer works perfectly. The company is Valley Machine in California owned by Eddie Pruette, phone 661-589-9529. He is very knowledgeable and should take care of your issue. Good luck! Gary D.
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:57 PM   #6
holdover

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
maybe try a cable for a AA, most the vendors have them listed.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:42 AM   #7
Richard in Anaheim CA

If your cable is just a "little" short and slips out of the speedometer, a common fix is to add 2 or 3 BB's in the speedometer drive on the torque tube.
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:36 AM   #8
larry harding

it is going to have to be 3-4 feet longer than stock, the drive gear is now back near the banjo
Old 11-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #9
John

Smith and Jones Antique Auto Parts made a speedometer cable up for me several years ago. They made it to my desired length for my Model A overdrive. Contact them at: [email protected] to see if they still make cables.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
larry harding

i talked to smith and jones at the arden swap meet and was told he could make up custom cables. when i called them a week or two ago they said they couldn't get the components at this time and didn't know when that would change. i'm going to call that place in texas and see if they can furnish what i need to make my own cable.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Larry,
I have a 2 piece spedo cable for my overdrive. One thing to consider is the accuracy of your speedo when using an overdrive. You can find out if your gear ratio will sync with your speedo by using a two piece cable. You can use your existing speedo cable by just adding a short extension cable to your overdrive.

Call Chuck at Commercial Speedometer located in West Sacramento, CA, at 916-371-8107 and explain your situation. He will then give you instructions on how to test your speedo for accuracy. He can, based on your information, make a gear adjuster that will be installed at the junction of the two cables to make your speedo accurate. Chuck did this for me and my speedo is accurate. I should also say that I have Volvo (Laycock) overdrive

The speedo accuracy can also be attained if you are using a Mitchell. You will need to determine your differential gear ratio in order for Mitchell to supply you with the correct speedo gear. I believe they also can supply you with the extension cable.

Last edited by Dick M; 11-19-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote