Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #761
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Tom, not only am I too young... I'm too innocent... my Grandfathers told me about them... LOL
Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #762
Vic Piano

A couple of weeks ago I had a visit from some V8 friends from Long Island and I just got an email with some photos they took. I told Wayne I'd post these for the guys in the LIRG of the EFV8 Club. The first photo (with us all squinting in the sun) is from left to right, me, Keith & Wayne.

The second is me in the '39 LZ

And the third is a photo of Wayne's beautiful '36 Roadster.

We had a nice visit; I hadn’t seen Wayne in over 20 years. I'll have to get back up to Long Island (in the summer) to reunite with all the guys from the LIRG.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #763
Vic Piano

After a long time waiting, it was finally the '51 F-1's turn on the lift. Thanks to Mike and Cliff we were able to get the '51 back together without too much trouble and, so far, everything is working as it should. I just came in from giving the truck a well deserved bath. No I've got to go take a shower...

Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #764
Shadetree

Vic,
Did you get the overdrive transmission in the F1?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #765
BillLee/Chandler, TX

I think you can see the original transmission clearly in the second picture. I suspect the OD transmission will require some serious modification to the cross member to allow it in there.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #766
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Bud, BillLee is correct. The '49 Merc OD transmission would have required a significant amount of modifications to install it. When I realized that the problem was not in the original transmission, I decided to put it back in the truck. The '49 Merc OD is the same transmission I have in the '49 Cosmopolitan so... Now I have a "good" extra transmission for the Lincoln, if I need it.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #767
Mart

Vic, did you fit the missing trans bolt and tighten up the bolt on the handbrake bracket? Quite easy to assume the other guy has done it when you have more than one person working on a job.

Just looking out for ya.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #768
V8COOPMAN

From what is seen in the picture, I would have had to re-surface that flywheel while everything was apart. I hope that the same picture is only playing tricks on me, but that drop-light appears to be of the incandescent-bulb variety that so many have warned about, both here and on the HAMB. Only takes a split-second bump or mistake for one of those things to fall into the WRONG circumstance, bulb breaks, explosion or fire erupts, garage and cars..........well, just use that "Imagination" to get the idea. Sometimes turns-out to be a really, really bad day. I threw my incandescent drop light away well over twenty years ago. Just a safety reminder for EVERYONE! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #769
Vic Piano

Mart, yup we tightened everything up and put everything beck where it belongs before we took the truck for a test drive.

V8COOPMAN, we cleaned up the flywheel (sometimes the camera flash plays tricks) and everything is working just fine. As for the drop light, I've had that light for over 30 years and I've gone through a number of light bulbs... as you could imagine… I've even dropped it several times and had the bulb break but I've never had anything like the experience you described occur... However, I will heed that safety tip for future garage play time.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #770
Vic Piano

Yesterday (on my lunch hour) I rebuilt the carburator for the '47 Lincoln Continental Cabrolet. I'll take it over to the shop and install it today at lunch and see how she runs.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #771
Vic Piano

I just got back from the shop where the '47 Lincoln is. I installed the carburetor, went to fire up the V-12 and, guess what... the fuel pump went south... To check, I disconnected the flex line from the fuel pump and blew compressed air through it, the line is clear of any debris, I also checked for vacuum at the fuel pump inlet (the old thumb test), and almost no suction. I have a "new" rebuilt fuel pump but I didn't bring it because the fuel pump on the car was working before I pulled the carburetor off... Oh well, just more fun to have on my lunch hour…
Old 03-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #772
Vic Piano

Florida is getting a taste of the northern winter weather today with temps in the 50's for a high... That's just too cold to play in the garage... Next weekend is the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance so we'll be taking a ride over to enjoy the show. If you've never been to a Concours event, you're missing something really special as far as antique, classic & special interest automobiles go, I highly recommend it
Old 03-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #773
Ken/Alabama

Hey Vic, What kinda driving lights you got on the front of your Zephyr ? And do they help ?
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #774
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Florida is getting a taste of the northern winter weather today with temps in the 50's for a high... That's just too cold to play in the garage... Next weekend is the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance so we'll be taking a ride over to enjoy the show. If you've never been to a Concours event, you're missing something really special as far as antique, classic & special interest automobiles go, I highly recommend it
Now Vic. You are turning into a sissy. I worked in the shop for about 6 hours today. Temp is in the 40's up here north of the gnat line in Georgia. Same temp in the shop. Out of propane.

Just to be on the safe side I pulled my intake to see if the wayward lock washer had made its way into the intake and engine valley. Thankfully, nothing was found after a thorough search. I am getting too old for this stuff. LOL It can be quite a chore for an old fart to get anything done. lol. At least my venture into the innards of the engine was successful. Now to gather the energy to put it all back together and finally get my heater in and back on the road.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #775
Vic Piano

Lawson, you are right, I have no tolerance for the cold weather... glad you found nothing when you pulled the intake off.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #776
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Hey Vic, What kinda driving lights you got on the front of your Zephyr ? And do they help ?

Ken, I got the "road lamps" from a company called Rodtiques, LLC, the phone # is: 781-826-2360. The LZ had been converted to 12 volts before I got her but, even with 12 volt bulbs the stock headlights just don't do well. The road lamps are High/low beam and they really light up the road, with them on, you can actually see the road in front of the car for a good long distance. I also installed a set on our '39 CS (6 volt high/low beam) that improves the night vision tremendously.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #777
BILL WZOREK

Lawson:

Maybe it's just me but I would have been happier to find the lock washer.
Glad that you just did not pretend that it must have gone all the way to the corner of the garage some where,and took the time to check it out.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #778
41ford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Florida is getting a taste of the northern winter weather today with temps in the 50's for a high... That's just too cold to play in the garage...
Too cold? Oh really!! 30° is too cold. BTW 10s and 20s are northern winter weather.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #779
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
Lawson:

Maybe it's just me but I would have been happier to find the lock washer.
Glad that you just did not pretend that it must have gone all the way to the corner of the garage some where,and took the time to check it out.
Bill: I didn't think it fell into the intake, and I found a lock washer on the floor under the truck with about the same patina as the others but I was still a little uneasy about just where it went and I just had to be sure. One of the guys said it's easier to pull the intake than the engine. That got me to thinking it would be prudent to pull the intake. No foreign objects in there at all, thank the Lord. I'll check it over again before I put the intake back on.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 03-02-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: clarity
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #780
BILL WZOREK

Lawson:

When some said you were a smart A**
I Guess what they really meant was you are a WISE GUY. LOL LOL
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote