Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2017, 06:20 AM   #41
fortyfords

Default Re: Bob Drake sale

I've been waiting over a year for 32 3w door window channel kits to be in stock; I found out yesterday that they have been discontinued indefinitely. I also heard that Bob Drake sold out and retired. One comment about the older cars fading out with us old guys sure sounds logical to me. I have told my kids that my cars will be dime a dozen in the future if wanted at all. The kids today just want a big home and new cars over having an expensive old car sitting around taking up space. That's how I see it here.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #42
Ron Pilger

Sad but bang-on Fortyfords. I've been preaching the same sermon now for ten years. Might be time for the parts hoarders who "might do something with that someday" mindset, but are now in their seventies and eighties, to start selling a part or two.....I can absolutely assure you that the estate sale pricing won't be pretty!
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #43
hotrodA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pilger View Post
Sad but bang-on Fortyfords. I've been preaching the same sermon now for ten years. Might be time for the parts hoarders who "might do something with that someday" mindset, but are now in their seventies and eighties, to start selling a part or two.....I can absolutely assure you that the estate sale pricing won't be pretty!
HA! Only for the purchaser. To quote an old car guy, "I hope my widow doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it".
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:59 PM   #44
Darrell S

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyfords View Post
I've been waiting over a year for 32 3w door window channel kits to be in stock; I found out yesterday that they have been discontinued indefinitely. I also heard that Bob Drake sold out and retired. One comment about the older cars fading out with us old guys sure sounds logical to me. I have told my kids that my cars will be dime a dozen in the future if wanted at all. The kids today just want a big home and new cars over having an expensive old car sitting around taking up space. That's how I see it here.
Have you tried Joe's Antique Auto for the kits? They are listed in their catalog. They were the only one that had the kit for my 48.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #45
3949tl

Amen! I acquired my original 40 only about 12 months ago and I started trying to buy parts from BD right after that. Almost every attempt was the same as all the others who have chimed in, "out of stock." My final attempt was 2 weeks ago when I was told that a sheet metal tail pan piece wasn't in stock and there was no time frame for availability. I did find it at two different places and have since received one from the "Dennis Carpenter Co." I will never again try BD.
3949tl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:00 PM   #46
39portlander

I am glad my 39 peek-up is almost done, the grill has to be re-done. I feel your pain fellas, it was a long wonderful resurrection on this truck and back orders always left more time for other projects.

In the model T and A world back-orders are rare for my vehicles, you need a model T or A project while you wait for your early V8 parts. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #47
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I have no doubt that's the story you were told. The reality? China can produce anything we can produce (USA) and of the same quality. It comes down to the quality demanded and subsequently paid for by the purchaser - in this particular case, Drake.
If he so chose, the quality would be first rate.
I think you totally missed the point. My point was not just his quality going down hill but one of low volume causing the problem. The reason Drake's contract was cancelled was due to the very low volume or demand we have compared to the Toyota contract his prime vendor got. They have no reason to lie. Drake had worked with this vendor for a very long time but all that went down the drain when he lost contract(s). That was my point. Quality has gone down hill largely because of this. I am sure this is happening throughout the hobby because of low volume and the high quality expectations.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #48
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
I think you totally missed the point. My point was not just his quality going down hill but one of low volume causing the problem. The reason Drake's contract was cancelled was due to the very low volume or demand we have compared to the Toyota contract his prime vendor got. They have no reason to lie. Drake had worked with this vendor for a very long time but all that went down the drain when he lost contract(s). That was my point. Quality has gone down hill largely because of this. I am sure this is happening throughout the hobby because of low volume and the high quality expectations.
I'm not sure he has -Volume, quality and price are all related.
I would bet heavily that Bobs supplier would have found a way to keep his contract despite the Toyota contract and his low volume if he was paying them $1000 an item
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #49
Lawrie

OK then ,where do I get some water pumps for my 99a engine now,the ones that BD made had the nice bearings in them.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:45 PM   #50
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
OK then ,where do I get some water pumps for my 99a engine now,the ones that BD made had the nice bearings in them.
Lawrie
Look in the V-8 Times magazine and call Fryer's water pumps who advertises in the Times. He has some excellent pumps.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #51
Anton Voycheck

Ordered eight items from BobDrake yesterday. One item is on back order.

Still waiting for my back order from Mac's that I mentioned on the last Mac thread on the board. About four weeks or so.

Always had good experience with BD.
Anton Voycheck is offline   Reply With Quote