Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #1
dahrens1

Default Residual Water in Block After Draining

If I disconnect all radiator hoses/pipe from the engine and allow all the coolant to drain out normally, how much if any water will still be in the engine head or block and would this amount be enough to cause freeze damage over the winter? I will not be able to reassemble the radiator and hoses until spring so the option to add antifreeze is not really practical. But if there is no water in the block then I would not have to worry about it.

Thanks
Dave
dahrens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Residual Water in Block After Draining

No problem with freezing if you drain the water out from the lower hose pipe petcock. Just make sure the orifice doesn't clog with rust and stop the flow.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:14 PM   #3
Tom F OHIO

Dave, not sure where your from but here in Ohio we get some brutal cold winters. I use to open the pet cock and radiator cap and drain it that way. Leave them open for the winter. I did it for many years with no problems. I bought a new radiator and use antifreeze now.

Tom....
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
WHN

Have never done more than open the drain, fills one bucket, check for any oil in water, will float on surface.

Good point about making sure drain stays open. After draining I poke a small nail into valve to make sure it isn’t plugged. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
Bill G

You could drain it with hoses connected and get all the water out, then put some antifreeze in and drain again. That way, any residual would not freeze.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #6
1crosscut

I would drain all of the water out and then refill it with an antifreeze solution leaving it in year round. Not only protects against freezing but also keeps rust at bay keeping your radiator clean.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #7
eagle

Back in the day that was a common thing to do every time you drove the car. When you drove it in the winter, when the car was shut off, you would put a metal bucket under the petcock and catch the water or water/alcohol mix, bring it in the house and set it on the back of the cookstove. Then when it was time to go you would close the petcock and dump in the warm coolant. That way the car would start easier with a warm engine.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #8
cpf240

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Back in the day that was a common thing to do every time you drove the car. When you drove it in the winter, when the car was shut off, you would put a metal bucket under the petcock and catch the water or water/alcohol mix, bring it in the house and set it on the back of the cookstove. Then when it was time to go you would close the petcock and dump in the warm coolant. That way the car would start easier with a warm engine.
Wow, my Prius does the same thing!
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:29 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

No more than a few drops of water will remain, so no problem.

Be sure to tape shut all openings, or you'll have mouse nests in the engine and radiator.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:04 AM   #10
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
No more than a few drops of water will remain, so no problem.

Be sure to tape shut all openings, or you'll have mouse nests in the engine and radiator.
i stuff a dryer sheet on either side of the choke plate in the carb and 2-3 in the tailpipe during the winter along with fully disconnecting the battery and leaving the antifreeze in the system to winterize. Ive heard mice hate dryer sheets (either smell taste or texture). cheap and smell nice to us so eh. Have had mice in the garage but never anywhere near the AA...
Old 10-25-2017, 10:02 PM   #11
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
i stuff a dryer sheet on either side of the choke plate in the carb and 2-3 in the tailpipe during the winter along with fully disconnecting the battery and leaving the antifreeze in the system to winterize. Ive heard mice hate dryer sheets (either smell taste or texture). cheap and smell nice to us so eh. Have had mice in the garage but never anywhere near the AA...
I use the dryer sheets to keep the car fresh smelling, although one year I left a partial box of them in the shed. Next spring when I saw the box there a mouse had gotten into them and chewed them all up into a nice nest, right in the box.