Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #1
46woodie

Default 46-48- lower door seals on woodies

The lower rubber door seals slide into a metal guide which screws to top of rocker panel. The metal piece is slotted to slide in or out toward door to seal against door. BUT, there is about 3/4in gap between door and this seal when the metal strip is tight against side of rocker. If I pull strip with seal on it toward door to fit tight then the gap is behind this seal and strip. In other words,there is a gap between rocker panel and this seal piece. Is this correct? Old,original strips were rusted beyond repair and unfortunately I never got pics when I removed them. Someone take a look at your door seals for woody for me? Thank you!!!
46woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
woodiewagon46

Default Re: 46-48- lower door seals on woodies

I checked the gap that I have on my '46 Station Wagon and it's only about 1/4". The 3/4" on your's does sound a bit much. Have the doors been re-wooded? Other than that, I can't think of why your's are so excessive. It's a bit of work but when it warms up I can remove the strip that holds the rubber gasket and measure between the metal and interior wood for you.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
46woodie

Thank you but not necessary to remove your strip. Is there a gap between that strip and rocker panel or does it fit flush against it? The rubber on mine is new and the doors are untouched originals. Rockers have not been replaced. This is why Im puzzled about the gap,BUT I did not feel the need to measure this gap years ago when I disassembled this car. Thank you for the reply!
Old 02-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
woodiewagon46

As I originally stated, the gap between the adjustable metal guide as you call it, that the rubber gasket fits into and the "rocker box' is only 1/4" if that. The rubber gasket fits snugly against the wood in the interior of the door making a nice seal. I think that a gap of 3/4" is too much. Can any other '46-'48 Woodie owners measure their car and give us their measurement? Mine are also original.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
46woodie

Sorry,thought you may have talking gap between door and rubber. Your right 3/4 is excessive but slots on top of that metal strip actually still allows metal screw to go into top of rocker without redrilling,almost like distance between rocker and the seal strip varied on different cars by quite a bit. Possibly??
Old 02-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
ford41

You’re correct. There is a gap between the metal channel and the rockers. Woodie rocker panels on the 41/48 cars are unique compared to sedans thus the strange fit.

The way I installed mine was to set the pair in place, leaving the channels loose, seals in place, then close the door and follow the contour of the door to ensure a good door to seal fit. I then drilled the rocker leaving adjustment room on the slotted channel. Once installed the rocker-to-seal channel gap cannot be seen.
ford41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
46woodie

Thanks!!!! Just seemed a bit strange with gap in there but no other way it could be done