Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
North-Fork-LI

Default 36 cabriolet tie rod question

I think I know the answer but I believe my father in law hit his wheel on something before he garaged his cabriolet since the 1960's. I am tasked by my wife's family to get this on the street again. I think I need a new tie rod since I have not seen a picture with a curved tie rod in the 36.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.2 KB, 44 views)
North-Fork-LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
Brian

Default Re: 36 cabriolet tie rod question

Just straighten it out in a press, cold. I've had to do the same a few times over the years after I've taken my 35 off road. lol
Old 07-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
fordscript

I dont think it should be straight....needs some bend in it to clear the axle radius rods..
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
deuce lover

Tie rods should be straight.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordscript View Post
I dont think it should be straight....needs some bend in it to clear the axle radius rods..
Absolutely INCORRECT! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
koates

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hi there. Now engineering wise you would think that tie rods and drag links should be straight. Macs catalog, Drakes catalog, the 35-36 ford book have DRAWINGS showing what appear to be straight 35-36 ford tie rods. However last year I fitted a new reproduction 36 ford tie rod to a friends 36 sedan. It is bent like the original one in North-Forks picture. Also the original one of the car was bent. Just as fordscript has stated it needs to be bent to clear a front radius rod. One way to check is to put that tie rod back on when the car is reassembled and check the toe in settings. If it is bent way out of wack then likewise the toe in settings will be difficult or impossible to correct. I WOULD NOT STRAIGHTEN THAT ROD. The car I worked on was RHD but seems that tie rod fits right and left hand drive cars anyway, just turn it over. Just my two cents worth. Regards kevin
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #7
Fordors

With all due respect to our Australian and New Zealand friends it would appear that some "down under" march to a different drummer.
A bent tie rod will only make the job of adjusting the toe much more difficult and serve no other function.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
Don Rogers

Original 1935 and 36 tierods were straight!!!!!!
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

I probably have a half dozen tie rods removed from original '35 & '36 Fords, plus four original cars within those years with their original tie rods and none of these tie rods are bent like the one pictured above.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

A bent tie rod would allow flexing between the wheels and be almost impossible to adjust once installed.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:09 AM   #11
fordscript

Koates, thanks for your support. I feel like a dumb**s. I didn't read the question properly, and by seeing the 34 drag link for comparison, mistakenly assumed we were talking about drag links. Maybe I need a new interest.
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:12 AM   #12
koates

Hi fordscript, and others. More like you need new glasses. I just rang my friend whose car we replaced the tie rod on (not drag link) and he confirmed that the new one was bent just like the one we took off because the non replaceable end was worn out. But it is only slightly bent and not as much as the one pictured. So maybe something to do with RHD cars only so as to give clearance of radius rods. So it would seem USA LHD cars are straight. Now that's all I will say on the subject as I am a 33-34 ford "expert" ?? (a drip under pressure) and only know a little of 35-36 fords even though I have worked on a few from time to time. As for 34 ford drag links, they should be straight although I have seen several bent ones. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #13
Mart

The tie rod or track rod has two replaceable ends, and is always straight. (unless modified in a hot rod application) The drag link in a cross steer car (35-48) has a long end and a replaceable end at the other end, and is very often bent as stock to clear the radius rods (wishbone).

The one pictured should just be straightened carefully. Just by hand in a vice will probably do it.

If the track rod is bent for clearance it compromises the toe in adjustment as the minimum you can change is one pitch of the thread (1/18th of an inch). A straight bar is infinitely adjustable as you turn the bar and the left and right hand threads adjust to whatever length needed to set the toe.

the drag link, even though bent, has in effect one long end, a short end and a short piece joining them. Turning the short sleeve allows infinite adjustment of the drag link even though one part of it is bent.

Mart.

Last edited by Mart; 07-21-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
North-Fork-LI

Thanks everyone or the advice.
North-Fork-LI is offline   Reply With Quote