Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2017, 12:45 PM   #21
Keith True

Default Re: Quiz for a 60 MPH all day long car

All us guys in trucks learned our lesson though.If you lost your card somewhere along the way,you had to pay the maximum amount of the toll.We all ran the total length anyway,so we would just say the card blew out the window.Paid the same amount as if we still had the card.That little idea was given to us by a tolltaker.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:46 PM   #22
burner31

Easy answer:

Who cares how long it takes or what the average speed is, you're driving a Model A...enjoy the ride.

I was never good a math anyway.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:08 PM   #23
Bill G

Unless it's in a school zone, I almost think a speeding ticket in a Model A would be hard to achieve - even if I tried.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:58 PM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I got caught by the math in the early 80's in Maine.At the toll booth you would get a card,and you would pay different amounts depending on what exit you got off at.What I didn't know was that the cards were time stamped too.I was headed up with an empty trailer for a load of spuds,and that truck was pretty zippy when it was empty.I was pulled over after the last toll booth because they told me there was no way I could have covered those 60 miles in 47 minutes legally.That truck topped out at 72,but the limit then was 55.
Very interesting. I'd never heard of these kind of tickets, until this thread, and then thought it was only Australia until your post.

When I was driving through Hannibal Missouri a couple years ago I had just topped a hill in town and there was a traffic light half a block on the downhill side, and I got flashed by the camera when the light turned red while I was in the intersection. Thought for sure I'd get a ticket in the mail. but it never happened.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:18 PM   #25
pooch

In OZ, the light has to be red before you pass into the intersection.

I once saw the same thing as I just got into an intersection on the orange and I saw a flash of the camera in my mirror, then noticed a car right behind me.

He obviously was the money donor to the law, not me.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:17 PM   #26
Keith True

I was driving to LeBaron Bonney a while back,and when I crossed the line into Mass.I saw one of those speed display wagons set up on the side of the road.I wasn't going fast,and I figured I would check my accuracy of my old speedo.I turned around and drove by it again.I saw the flashes and didn't pay any attention to them as I wasn't doing anything wrong.A week later I got two tickets in the mail for not wearing a seatbelt.Nice pictures too.I had my 79 Ford plow truck,and it only has lap belts,no shoulder belts.I can't run the plow controls with a shoulder belt on.I drove my truck to my court date,said not guilty and said I really was wearing a belt,just not a shoulder belt.and the truck was in the parking lot if anybody wanted to see it for themselves.The judge just said I'll take your word for it,go home.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:17 PM   #27
chap52

A couple of years ago I got my first ticket in over 40 years. Figured I just pay it because of all the violations I had gotten away with over the 40 year span. I was advised that I could take a course and avoid the points on my license. I told the Officer at my age (71)a couple of points won't matter.
It is frustrating though.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:18 PM   #28
Benson

New York was timing distances entrance to exit and giving speeding tickets in 1967 and 1969 when I was at Ft. Monmouth, NJ.

It was a well known scam to "lose the ticket" if trip was long enough.

NJ Turnpike was a quarter at every toll plaza.

The scam on NJ Turnpike was to "Pretend" to throw quarter in basket then stop and get out to "look" for the quarter ... "winky winky" ... the toll keeper would wave you through when cars stacked up behind.

If you tried it at next toll plaza they had radioed ahead and knew you were coming!

Last edited by Benson; 08-31-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:29 PM   #29
RUNNERBUN

$341 and 2 demerit points, Ouch! I feel your pain. I hope you win the fight. Speaking of the Law of Averages, I learnt a long time ago that the Law of Averages does not work. Here is how you can prove it for yourself. Get two buckets, fill one with freezing water and ice and fill the other with boiling water. Now put one of your feet in freezing bucket and the other foot in the boiling water. On the average you should be very comfortable. See I told you the law of averages doesn't work.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:32 AM   #30
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
New York was timing distances entrance to exit and giving speeding tickets in 1967 and 1969 when I was at Ft. Monmouth, NJ.

It was a well known scam to "lose the ticket" if trip was long enough.

NJ Turnpike was a quarter at every toll plaza.

The scam on NJ Turnpike was to "Pretend" to throw quarter in basket then stop and get out to "look" for the quarter ... "winky winky" ... the toll keeper would wave you through when cars stacked up behind.

If you tried it at next toll plaza they had radioed ahead and knew you were coming!
When I did a worldtrip back in 2005, I had many hire cars all over.

I was certainly trying hard to get no tickets, because I know the hassle of it all being offshore when you get home and get the tickets.

When I was in Miami, I came across a toll booth after dark, and it wanted 2 quarters, I was fumbling for a bit when a blast of a horn and headlights on hi beam came from behind.

I was not going to go thru that toll without paying, so I continued to try and find coin.

Several more blasts from behind came, with the dude inching up closer to my back.

I found the coins and threw them in, then gave the guy behind a finger .

I later read that Miami is the murder capital of the USA ...
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #31
Terry, NJ

The Pa Turnpike was the first to use it in the 1940s, but I don't think it's in use anymore. In NJ, they shortened the cycle of the yellow to get to red faster and then if you're in the intersection, then the camera gets you.But BUT thats not all! It turns out the courts are paying a bounty to the manufactures for each case the court wins! Justice at it's finest!
Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Very interesting. I'd never heard of these kind of tickets, until this thread, and then thought it was only Australia until your post.

When I was driving through Hannibal Missouri a couple years ago I had just topped a hill in town and there was a traffic light half a block on the downhill side, and I got flashed by the camera when the light turned red while I was in the intersection. Thought for sure I'd get a ticket in the mail. but it never happened.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #32
captndan

That's butt punishment.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #33
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
When I did a worldtrip back in 2005, I had many hire cars all over.

I was certainly trying hard to get no tickets, because I know the hassle of it all being offshore when you get home and get the tickets.

When I was in Miami, I came across a toll booth after dark, and it wanted 2 quarters, I was fumbling for a bit when a blast of a horn and headlights on hi beam came from behind.

I was not going to go thru that toll without paying, so I continued to try and find coin.

Several more blasts from behind came, with the dude inching up closer to my back.

I found the coins and threw them in, then gave the guy behind a finger .

I later read that Miami is the murder capital of the USA ...
ya he might murder you not for the finger, but because you took to long.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #34
Terry, NJ

No, It's Chicago! It used to be Miami because the Fla. DVM , in it's wisdom, Coded the License numbers so that rental cars could be identified by police. Trouble was the wrong ones got ahold of the codes and could ID out of towners, hence unarmed. Once they figured out what was going on, and with the large number of concealed carry permits issued, it ceased to be problem.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
ya he might murder you not for the finger, but because you took to long.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:40 AM   #35
Cornishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

You can get fined for speeding on the French autoroutes if the ticket shows a higher average speed than the speed limit. You used to be stopped by the Gendarmes waiting just the other side of the peage but I presume these days you would just receive a letter in the post. That is definitely not something that going to happen to me in my Model A!
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #36
V4F

I'm not good at the math , but my car will cruise at 60mph till it runs out of gas .
improved banger , 5 speed , 3.27 gears , quick change .