Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2021, 08:46 AM   #1
jw hash

Default Batt. Supercharger

does anyone out there run a Batt Supercharger on there model A? I have had one for years, it is damaged on the inside. so I never installed it. another FB member contacted me about mine and to let me know that he has one with no inner parts. so the question is, does someone out there have a complete one and is running it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0029.jpg (44.2 KB, 1838 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0055.jpg (51.8 KB, 1111 views)
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Batt. Supercharger

That thing seems pretty unique. It would nice to hear from someone if it actually works. Looks like its suppose to get the intake air spinning.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:01 PM   #3
Brad in Germany

Brad in Maryland
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_3531.jpeg (113.3 KB, 685 views)

Last edited by Brad in Germany; 04-20-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #4
alexiskai

I thought about posting that ad from the Fahnestock book myself, but annoyingly it doesn't say anything about how the product is supposed to work.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #5
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
I thought about posting that ad from the Fahnestock book myself, but annoyingly it doesn't say anything about how the product is supposed to work.
There is a Patent Number on the ad. It’s too faint to read but maybe the book will show it. You can look up the patent and it will tell you how it works and what the components are.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:30 AM   #6
Jim Brierley

Looks and sounds like a gimmick to me???
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Looks and sounds like a gimmick to me???
Have to agree. Looks like it would be more of a choke than a power gainer.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:43 AM   #8
alexiskai

I looked up the patent and it's for the hourglass-shaped component visible in the second image attached to post #1. Apparently that's the entire product, there are no other parts. It's supposed to "break up particles of hydrocarbons and mix them with the air more thoroughly than is done in the mixing chamber of an ordinary carburetor and prevent quantities of the liquid from accumulating on the walls of the intake manifold."

You can see from the diagram and from the component photos that it's not really a Venturi-type device. The tube has a consistent I.D., it just has this hourglass device inside it. The theory apparently is that the fuel-air mixture passing through the tube would be induced to atomize more uniformly via these fins.

This was patented in '26 and, in my view, would be vulnerable to obsolescence from improvements in carburetor design. Quite likely it's unnecessary, especially if running a more advanced carb such as the Marvel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 12.38.08 PM.jpg (14.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 04-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #9
Patrick L.

Kinda reminds me of what W C Fields had to say.

But, I kinda like the design/looks of the manifold itself.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

When I first saw that I thought it was an earlier version of the "Turbonator" Air Intake Booster.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11243285698...b89976112d4b36

I first heard of the "Bat" Super-Charger in 'Those Wonderful UNAUTHORIZED ACCESSORIES for Model A Ford' book. Find on Page 80.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-19-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:17 PM   #11
Mountain Dew

Like JW Hash mentioned. I am running a Bat Supercharger on my 28 Roadster without the inner cone. I tried to post an image but for some reason it won't let me select a file from my computer.
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:12 PM   #12
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
Like JW Hash mentioned. I am running a Bat Supercharger on my 28 Roadster without the inner cone. I tried to post an image but for some reason it won't let me select a file from my computer.
Sooo, what do you think? Improve performance? Improve gas mileage? Just looks cool, and a great conversation starter at car events?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #13
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
Are you saying it’s simply an adornment ?
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:40 PM   #14
Mountain Dew

No notable change in performance. Looks cool. I carry the advertisement from "Those Wonderful Unauthorized Accessories" with me. I am also running a high compression head and 3.27 rear end but I give the Bat all the credit when I'm talking to the non-"A" folks. I also include a line of smoke about the red striped coil wire that I use.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:50 PM   #15
Mountain Dew

Yep...That's about it. Just an adornment. The inner cone might make a difference. I suppose one could be fabricated. I doubt it would live up to the claims in the advertisement.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:39 PM   #16
mercman from oz

"Bat" Super-Charger
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #17
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
"Bat" Super-Charger
When I first read the title I thought this thread was about Battery Chargers.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:55 PM   #18
Russ/40

I think the theory is sound. The fact the manifold is enlarged to compensate for the houreglass device should prevent any choking effect at partial throttle and increase fuel mixing at wide open throttle. I'm pretty sure the turbin is stationary.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:31 PM   #19
40 Deluxe

People have been suckers for "fuel saving" gadgets for about as long as cars have existed. The list is endless, but a couple that stick out in my mind are the mythical 100 MPG carburetor and the more recent "HHO" hydrogen producing gadgets that scammers promote.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #20
J Franklin

Talking Re: Batt. Supercharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
100 MPG carburetor and the more recent "HHO" hydrogen producing gadgets that scammers promote.
Are you sure these things don't work? Any proof?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:32 PM   #21
Russ/40

If the bore was not enlarged for the turbine, i would discount any benefit, but this one takes into account preserving the venturi area. I'd love to try one anyway.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:48 PM   #22
Mountain Dew

I am concerned about the vanes of the inner cone breaking of and being sucked into the valves and cylinders. They look like they are made from a thin sheet of brass.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:14 PM   #23
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Are you sure these things don't work? Any proof?

Well, first of all, there is no proof that such gadgets do work. With the "100 MPG carb", the myths are always vague; it seemed that someone's uncle's third cousin's barber heard stories down at the corner bar and the myth grew from there. Wild conspiracy theories are repeated instead of hard facts, no real evidence proves such wild claims!

Heard of the Fish Carburetor? The myth says it was a 100 MPG carb. In reality, the inventor only claimed "up to 20% better fuel mileage". The typical car of the day got maybe 15 MPG; 20 MPG was seldom seen. So it was really a 18-24 MPG carb at best. Tens of thousands were built and sold by the Fish Carburetor Company, and they still show up on ebay so anyone can buy one and test it for themselves. Fish made enough money to sponsor a NASCAR car in the mid-'50's. But he never claimed 100 MPG.

As far as the "HHO" scam goes, it too is unworkable. The claim is that you can use electrical current from the alternator, pass it through a set of metal plates in a jar of water, and make hydrogen as you drive. Supposedly this gives magical fuel economy! Not true! It takes power to get electricity from the alternator. It takes extra gasoline to get the extra power, resulting in a net loss! Don't forget: A car engine is only about 20-25% efficient, and an alternator is 50% efficient at best. So a lot of the gasoline burned is wasted as heat. A gallon of gasoline has about 120,000 Btu's of energy. A gallon-sized container of hydrogen at ambient temperature and pressure contains about 42 Btu's! A typical HHO unit makes 1 to 2 liters of "HHO" a minute. "HHO" is 1/3 oxygen so that leaves 28 Btu's in our gallon of HHO and we only make about 1/2 gallon a minute. So there is not enough "HHO" produced to make any improvement!! It's all smoke and mirrors!
Old 04-20-2021, 07:01 PM   #24
rotorwrench

Modern fuel injection and electronic ignition all with computer control gets the economy about as good as it gets and same with performance. To put a swirl tube device in the plenum likely doesn't help the vaporization all that much. The amount is likely just above negligible due to the amount of blockage drag there is in there. (One might help a bit while the other affect detracts a bit). It's most likely affect on economy would have been slowing down the fuel mixture to a degree that may have given a slightly better burn. The way a flathead is made, there is already enough chaos going on inside the cylinder to create a good burn but with the low compression, it also loses out a bit on performance.

Now an actual turbocharger might get the performance up a bit but then the economy would likely go down a bit too. It's always a trade off somewhere with these old flat motors.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:09 PM   #25
Mountain Dew

BatInstall copy.jpeg
Still no luck with posting picture.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:15 AM   #26
Rob Doe

Interesting.
Rob Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:36 AM   #27
Mountain Dew

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...3&d=1558465006
Here is a link from a previous post where I was able to upload a picture.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:40 AM   #28
jw hash

Russ
the hourglass turbine devise just float inside. it looks to me that when the air goes through it, it could rotate. i have always thought it was like the old snake oil salesman. but to me it is just cool to look at.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #29
Russ/40

If it actually spins, you would think it would make quite a racket.

Would someone send one to me for testing
Old 04-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #30
Mountain Dew

Would the extra length of the manifold have an effect? Sort of the same theory of a high rise manifold. I don't see any notable performance from an original manifold.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #31
Patrick L.

I doubt the 'turbine' rotates. I think its suppose to sit there and get the fuel/air charge to spin as the charge passes thru it and enhance the flow/charge into the cylinders.
The manifold design could in itself [without the turbine] enhance the cylinder charging.
If I had one I think I'd leave out the turbine.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:29 PM   #32
rotorwrench

It would cause a swirl or vortex in the air/fuel flow. My problem with it is the hour glass shape would redirect the vortex and hinder the flow more. A plain swirl tube would likely have been more effective but even that may hinder the mixture from staying in a good vaporized state. Some of the vapor may form into larger droplets instead of a nice even vapor flow.

These type of things were also developed for OHV engines as well and all it would really do is allow for a bit slower burn in the cylinder. This might reduce detonation but it won't do much for performance.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #33
katy

Here's another attempt at "fuel/air enhancement", this was for the flathead V8s:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel enhancer.JPG (111.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 04-23-2021, 02:29 PM   #34
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Quote:
Well, first of all, there is no proof that such gadgets do work. With the "100 MPG carb", the myths are always vague; it seemed that someone's uncle's third cousin's barber heard stories down at the corner bar and the myth grew from there. Wild conspiracy theories are repeated instead of hard facts, no real evidence proves such wild claims!

Heard of the Fish Carburetor? The myth says it was a 100 MPG carb. In reality, the inventor only claimed "up to 20% better fuel mileage". The typical car of the day got maybe 15 MPG; 20 MPG was seldom seen. So it was really a 18-24 MPG carb at best. Tens of thousands were built and sold by the Fish Carburetor Company, and they still show up on ebay so anyone can buy one and test it for themselves. Fish made enough money to sponsor a NASCAR car in the mid-'50's. But he never claimed 100 MPG.

As far as the "HHO" scam goes, it too is unworkable. The claim is that you can use electrical current from the alternator, pass it through a set of metal plates in a jar of water, and make hydrogen as you drive. Supposedly this gives magical fuel economy! Not true! It takes power to get electricity from the alternator. It takes extra gasoline to get the extra power, resulting in a net loss! Don't forget: A car engine is only about 20-25% efficient, and an alternator is 50% efficient at best. So a lot of the gasoline burned is wasted as heat. A gallon of gasoline has about 120,000 Btu's of energy. A gallon-sized container of hydrogen at ambient temperature and pressure contains about 42 Btu's! A typical HHO unit makes 1 to 2 liters of "HHO" a minute. "HHO" is 1/3 oxygen so that leaves 28 Btu's in our gallon of HHO and we only make about 1/2 gallon a minute. So there is not enough "HHO" produced to make any improvement!! It's all smoke and mirrors!

The browns gas generator actually works, a friend powered his Vw beetle with it. The car did burn to the ground from and electrical fire,and the generator was ungainly...but I saw it with my own highly skeptical eyes..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #35
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
The browns gas generator actually works, a friend powered his Vw beetle with it. The car did burn to the ground from and electrical fire,and the generator was ungainly...but I saw it with my own highly skeptical eyes..

Did his fuel mileage improve any?
Old 04-25-2021, 10:31 AM   #36
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Did his fuel mileage improve any?

From the comment about the "ungainly" generator, I assume it was significantly larger than stock. Which means it took more power from the engine to spin it. Using more power means using more gasoline. The result is a net loss! While he no doubt made some "Brown's gas", it would not be enough to offset the extra gasoline used to produce it.
Wishful thinking does not replace science!
Old 04-26-2021, 12:42 PM   #37
Flathead

Isn't there some law of physics that says "energy can neither be created or destroyed"?
Or simply stated, no free lunch.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:03 PM   #38
alexiskai

This might be just confusion of terms... in most cases you wouldn't put the HHO generator itself in the car. You generate the HHO via AC power and then you keep the HHO in an onboard tank. So it's basically a CNG conversion.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #39
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
This might be just confusion of terms... in most cases you wouldn't put the HHO generator itself in the car. You generate the HHO via AC power and then you keep the HHO in an onboard tank. So it's basically a CNG conversion.

No, I don't think so! It takes a very special (very expensive) compressor to reach the high pressures needed to store enough hydrogen to get out of your driveway. And special high pressure tanks that won't be damaged by hydrogen embrittlement. Since hydrogen has such low energy density. the tanks needed would be huge.
Actually, the "HHO" systems in common use are on-board generators that only make miniscule amounts of hydrogen as you drive, using the vehicle's alternator for the electricity needed.
This scam seems to have died out in recent years, but just wait until gas goes over $4 a gallon again!
Old 04-26-2021, 04:19 PM   #40
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
Morning Jack Shaft.

You have confused me. So it does work or doesn't it work??

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:58 PM   #41
Chris Haynes

Quote:
People have been suckers for "fuel saving" gadgets for about as long as cars have existed. The list is endless, but a couple that stick out in my mind are the mythical 100 MPG carburetor and the more recent "HHO" hydrogen producing gadgets that scammers promote.
I like the one where you drop a tablet into your gas tank then fill it with water and drive away.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:15 PM   #42
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post

Morning Jack Shaft.

You have confused me. So it does work or doesn't it work??
Yummm, Mr. Shaft was BANNED a while back.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:04 PM   #43
nkaminar

I have no idea if a hydrogen generator improves mileage but the principle is that the hydrogen gas improves combustion. I think that is generally true because hydrogen is very combustible and will burn with a wide range of air/fuel ratios. It is correct that the energy it takes to generate the hydrogen is not recovered when it is burned. But I don't think that is the point. The fact that the car manufacturers do not put this on their cars speaks for itself.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:53 AM   #44
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Batt. Supercharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
I like the one where you drop a tablet into your gas tank then fill it with water and drive away.

I remember a TV show back in the late 50's/early 60's called "Strange But True". At least I think that was what it was called. Anyway, it was a supposedly true story about a guy. Who convinced a high US government official (Supreme Court Justice ?). To drain the gas out of his car, add ordinary tap water and then place a mysterious tablet in the gas tank. The car started and ran and the official drove it to work. Before he left the unknown man said he would be back later to tell how he invented the tablet. He never came back. This supposedly happened in the early 20's.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:11 AM   #45
jimTN

Hydrogen is highly explosive, corrosive and I believe also creates acid conditions when made.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:13 AM   #46
alexiskai

Here's the history of the water-tablet scam:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
I remember a TV show back in the late 50's/early 60's called "Strange But True". At least I think that was what it was called. Anyway, it was a supposedly true story about a guy. Who convinced a high US government official (Supreme Court Justice ?). To drain the gas out of his car, add ordinary tap water and then place a mysterious tablet in the gas tank. The car started and ran and the official drove it to work. Before he left the unknown man said he would be back later to tell how he invented the tablet. He never came back. This supposedly happened in the early 20's
Bob, I think this is the show you're thinking of:
Quote:
A season three episode of the 1950s American television show, Alcoa Presents: One Step Beyond, "Where Are They?", which originally aired 13 December 1960, presented a story about a man calling himself Charles Elton. Elton allegedly demonstrated to government representatives in 1917 a pill that costs 2 cents that can turn 10 gallons of water into a fuel that can power an auto engine. After his successful exhibition, Elton vanishes.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #47
J Franklin

Time traveler Charles Elton.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:29 PM   #48
daren007

If all this stuff worked it would have already have installed by the auto manufacturer. It works like this. The one with the best gas mileage wins all the marbles.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:17 PM   #49
Hitman

Why not applaud them for taking the time, cost and effort to reproduce a verified period accessory? We complain about poor quality, things not being produced, or too expensive. If suppliers read this forum for input, they wouldn't want to produce anything!

Let's give Mike's recognition for reproducing one more item that fit our cars!
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:54 PM   #50
Thearne3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Why not applaud them for taking the time, cost and effort to reproduce a verified period accessory? We complain about poor quality, things not being produced, or too expensive. If suppliers read this forum for input, they wouldn't want to produce anything!

Let's give Mike's recognition for reproducing one more item that fit our cars!
I agree. For all the nay saying, I can't find any example (in this thread or elsewhere) of someone having a complete original Batt. Supercharger that can confirm or deny its efficacy. Having spoken to the folks at Mike's, they DO have an original, which (they claim) does improve the performance on their stock A.

They plan to test the new ones and attempt to quantify the improvements. Once the results are in, I'll be taking a closer look.
Thearne3 is offline   Reply With Quote