Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
JD 1931

Default Gas tank strainer

I installed a new gas tank strain in the filler neck as my A didn't have one. Its a 31 and the strainer does not have threads or clips it just lays on top of flange and is a lose fit, maybe causing a rattle. Is this the way they fit? thanks ...
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
Dollar Bill

Default Re: Gas tank strainer

The original intent of the design was to serve as a spark arrestor. Unless yours is made from S/S, there is a potential for it to rust/corrode adding more junk to collect in the tank.

With current gas pumps being grounded through the hose, static sparks are not the problem they once were when the A was originally built - Back then most pumps were gravity fed and not properly grounded.

Bottom line, if it isn't fitting properly or hits the fuel gage arm, you would likely be better off to return it - Creates more problems than it solves.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
Utopia Texas

I took the flash arrestor out of my tank almost 30 years ago. In this day and age they are not necessary and make filling the tank a real PITA. If one is worried about static sparks you can touch the tip of the gas nozzle to something metal away from the tank opening such as the cowl band right before you stick it on the tank opening.
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
I took the flash arrestor out of my tank almost 30 years ago. In this day and age they are not necessary and make filling the tank a real PITA. If one is worried about static sparks you can touch the tip of the gas nozzle to something metal away from the tank opening such as the cowl band right before you stick it on the tank opening.
nooooo, theres obviously gas and fumes in the nozzle. your supposed to touch your vehicle with one hand and the metal side of the pump with the other as soon as you get out. then you, the car, and the gas pump are all the same charge.

and dont get back in the car while its filing, your butt rubbin on the seat creates a charge like rubbin a balloon on someones hair... so when you get back out and touch the pump handle a spark is created where there are a whole lotta fumes.

and if the unfortinate happens and theres fire coming out of the gastank DO NOT remove the nozzle, run away and find the emergency shutoff button located on the pavillions poles and the fire extinguisher thats out there.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
The original intent of the design was to serve as a spark arrestor. Unless yours is made from S/S, there is a potential for it to rust/corrode adding more junk to collect in the tank.

With current gas pumps being grounded through the hose, static sparks are not the problem they once were when the A was originally built - Back then most pumps were gravity fed and not properly grounded.

Bottom line, if it isn't fitting properly or hits the fuel gage arm, you would likely be better off to return it - Creates more problems than it solves.
Hi Bill.... Kinda true but all of our antique gas pumps from the 20's and 30's have brass nozzles so the mfg. were ahead of the game!

Quite true about not sliding in and out of the car while fueling. Also never fuel a can of gas IN the car take it out and sit it on the ground. Only takes a micro second to burn yourself up in an accident.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
rocket1

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
We are not allowed in Jersey to pump our own gas,not smart enough I guess.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
duke36

some of the (later) '31's had threads in the tank fill hole, requiring the early model A style arrestor. No vendors apparently sell new threaded ones now. You may have the type that just drops in (with tabs that fit in slots), which hopefully answers your question.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote