Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #1
CJStefan

Default New master cylinder on '49

It's time to do the brakes. I'm still back-and-forth on doing a firewall mount or under the floor. My biggest question is should I stick with single or switch to a dual reservoir. Everything I've read says go do a reservoir for safety purposes. Here are two first hand experiences where a dual master didn't help with $#!+.
One was a CJ7 that that I got an accident with. The front break line was ripped in half. The Jeep was still drivable but I had zero brakes and had to use the emergency break to stop until I got it where it was going.
The second time was a Jeep YJ that had the front to rear hardline go bad and spring the leak. Once again I had 0 breaks and had to use the emergency break to come to a stop. This one was going down a hill and it just locked the rear wheels up and I just kept on sliding.
This leads me to my question...should I spend $250 to $350 on a dual master cylinder conversion or just buy a new '49 to '54 single reservoir for $60 or however much? If a line goes out the master's useless either way from my personal experiences, so why spend 4 to 5 times the money?
CJStefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:45 AM   #2
flatford8

Default Re: New master cylinder on '49

I think you answered your own question. It depends how much your going to use the car and what traffic conditions. A dual master has to be the correct size bore and throw length of the pedal. As you’ve already experienced, if it isn’t set up properly and use loose one axle worth of brakes, you're gonna mess your pants when you try to stop.
You need to test the system by opening a line or bleeders and try them in a slow controlled test.
I think changing to a firewall mount is going to be a bug job going from under floor pedals to swinging. …… Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
CJStefan

True although I can't imagine the two jeeps were set up improperly since they were both factory brake systems. This is replacing my '51 Belair as my daily driver so I'll see all kinds of traffic conditions. I see on eci they say you can use the single master with front discs which is what made me think about this
Old 12-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
tubman

On my completely stock '99 F150 (purchased new), I lost a rear hardline because of rust issues and had enough brakes to get home (although it was a white knuckle trip). A couple of years later, I lost a front line and had no brakes at all. Thus I have little confidence in dual systems, especially home-brewed ones. I believe proper maintenance is more important, including flushing and replacing fluid every 10-15 years.

I purchased an electronic device that will display the moisture content of glycol fluid. Anything over a cetrtain amount (I don't remember it off-hand) indicates a need for a fluid change. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
On my completely stock '99 F150 (purchased new), I lost a rear hardline because of rust issues and had enough brakes to get home (although it was a white knuckle trip). A couple of years later, I lost a front line and had no brakes at all. Thus I have little confidence in dual systems, especially home-brewed ones. I believe proper maintenance is more important, including flushing and replacing fluid every 10-15 years.

I purchased an electronic device that will display the moisture content of glycol fluid. Anything over a cetrtain amount (I don't remember it off-hand) indicates a need for a fluid change. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
I'm with you there my friend. I'm thinking I may just go with the stock replacement
Old 12-24-2021, 12:28 PM   #6
marko39

I too have experienced complete brake loss on a 98 ford a few years ago that resulted in an accident. Front line rusted behind clip on firewall and I lost all brakes going downhill approaching an intersection that had stopped cars at a red light. Was no time to even thinking of ebrake. Blew through intersection just clipping one car.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:39 PM   #7
joe 1950

When i did the brakes on my 50 i replaced all the steel lines 3 flex hoses was able to rebuild the master cylinder then installed all new cylinders on all 4 wheels then filled it with dot 5 fluid bled the air out and it’s been 8 years now and still in good working condition hope this helps
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:43 PM   #8
slowforty

I go with Tubman. A properly maintained Stock system is great. I have been driving my 40 for 30 years with a stock system. Search the internet for improved brake linings
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:48 PM   #9
wga

Brakes on my stock 49 are adequate, stops the car, however it is the repeated use of brakes in traffic, and the resulting brake fade that is of concern. Brake system was replaced with a new MC and wheel cylinders, plus new brake shoes. I drive my car all over, so there are mountain roads and freeway traffic to deal with. Overall I have had no issues with the operation of the stock brake system. Flushed every two years.
What are your driving plans for the future?

Currently I am looking at going to a disc brake along with the dual chamber MC. It will
involve cutting an inspection hole in order to access the MC. JAMCO has a kit for this.
CPP has the brakes too. They also have new ball joint A arms and spindles, since my front suspension is worn out.

My experience with dual chamber systems has been positive. Thankful I had it in my
Bronco when the MC failed.
Old 12-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #10
CJStefan

Thanks for the responses everyone. I experienced brake fade (ie complete loss) in my '51 Belair on a winding mountain road when it still had the powerglide. Right after that I put the t5 in so I had the engine to slow me down. I never went disc in that car even though it was my daily driver. The drums worked well with the addition of the t5. I'm definitely going disc on this Ford