Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Six Pack to go

Default What early Ford parts supplier do you use most?

Any one company better than the others when it comes to quality, service and price?
Old 06-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
32phil

Default Re: What early Ford parts supplier do you use most?

Dick Spadaro.... the best of all.
Both Bill & Dick know the Early V-8 Fords inside out.
32phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Six Pack to go

I have used them before....looking thru the MAC catalog at the moment....
Old 06-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
FRANK PKNY

Dick is very good, and most of the other dealers are very helpfull, it's a good hobby and generally most dealers are into the hobby.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Steves46

We are really fortunate to have several oustanding parts houses. I usually purchase from Joe's Antique Auto. Joe is a very nice fellow and he stands behind his parts.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Fairlane500

My Flathead / Y Block supplier of choice is Reds Headers, Jim's customer service is simply outstanding. Caters well to international purchaser.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
DavidG

Dick Spadaro is tops. He knows what's good and what isn't and the service is first rate.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Brian

I always use Joblot. Outstanding service. Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
jim1932

I am new but I go to Dick first, Nacewicz for floors and fastners, Dave Renner for carb stuff. No beef with others, just used these guys first and was very happy with the service.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #10
Ken Crans

James at Joblot is very good. Always has good info and the service is excellent. Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
2935ford

I find almost all the suppliers excellent. The unfortunate part is the parts themselves.
So much of it now is offshore and the quality just isn't there.
Just my 2cents.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
deuce lover

Baxter Ford in Lawrence,KS and Early Ford Store in San Dimas,CA.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
kwmpa

Mac's but that's only because they ship right away and I have the parts in two days although their quality in the shipping department has gone down hill very fast...dick spadaro is going to be getting all my business
Old 06-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
TJ

Since I live on the west coast I deal with Bob Drake and C and G parts. I'm close to Sacramento Vintage, but I'm not going to use them in the future. They now repackage everything so you never know who manufactures the part. That irritates me as some repo stuff is better than others and I want to have a choice on who's parts I purchase. I also found they are frequently out of stock on many parts.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
Matt in Alameda

For ALL brake parts, information, and service go to Richard Lacey ..The Early V8 Garage in southern California.
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
Ken Bull

My 36 restro came out as good as it is thanks to Dick Spadaro,Mac,Bob Drake,Carpenter,Nacewicz & Skip. Plus trips to Spring & fall Carlisle Pa & fall Hershey Pa & Rhinebeck NY. The journey for me started in 1987 acquiring My 36 Cabriolet-basket case & 1940 Ford PU in 1990 (My driver till 2009). This forum has been a big plus too!
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #17
Modifieddriver

My parts supplier and go to guy for tech info is Dick Spadaro. He eats and lives this old Ford stuff.

I have another guy almost at my doorstep here that moved down from New York, but Dick is still "Da' Man".

Oh yeah, can't leave out Bill, Dick's right hand man. He's actually better with the customer than Dick , but don't tell Dick that .
Modifieddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
wga

Try to work with vendors close to northern California. Early V8 store in Campbell, Ca.
Early Ford Parts in San Dimas has a ton of hard to find parts.
C&G in Escondido, Ca., has great service, great attitude etc.
TJ mentioned Sac Vintage, second that.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #19
BILLF/TRF

I keep reading about Dick Spadaro. Does he have a website, email address, phone no.? Thanks
BILLF/TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #20
TJ

try ; www.dickspadaro.com.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #21
Zaemo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmpa View Post
Mac's but that's only because they ship right away and I have the parts in two days although their quality in the shipping department has gone down hill very fast...dick spadaro is going to be getting all my business
I placed an order with MACS last Sunday via the website. I hadn't received a shipping confirmation e-mail by Friday so I called. They had all my info, told me my order was already boxed up. They said it might ship Friday or Saturday or possibly on Monday. I like the selection and catalog's and website. Just don't be in a hurry to get it. I also didn't pay the extra $3.50 "rush my order" fee on top of the shipping AND handling.

Z
Zaemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #22
Scott/Mn

In restoring a '36 and a '34 Ford, Roy Nacewicz, Dick Spadaro, and Don Baxter have been very helpful. Macs is ok for routine parts and corrected any mistakes. The only negative experience I have had is with Sacramento Vintage; they wouldn't correct or exchange a poor quality (and expensive) part I bought from them.
Scott/Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #23
40fordpu

I have 4 years in this vintage auto restoration world here in southern california and am 29 years old with a budget. I started with Macs because of the lower price even though I live in southern california. In terms of restoration quality and correctness, Macs is CHEAP and no good. I second James at Joblot. However, from recommondation from KUBE, I found that ROY NACEWICZ for bolts is amazing. Great guy, great knowledge, much respect. My major parts list (other than bolts) for my 40 pickup includes pricing from drake, macs, and joblot but will be expanding to include pricing from dennis carpenter and now Dick spadaro (and make my decisions then - let you guys know what I find). Locally, the guys in san dimas,ca at the early ford shop are good but expensive. Stay away from CW MOSS as customer service is rough and prices are insane.

By the way, Ryan should help use this and our opinions to build a "list" or rating system for the best vendors, especially the small guys on this site. Just my op.

Last edited by 40fordpu; 06-12-2011 at 08:11 PM.
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
Highboy34

Over the past 35 years I've dealt with most of them. Out in Denver, I used to haunt the junkyards looking for old Ford stuff. It seemed when I needed something the dealer would say, " We had a barrel of them, but some guy named Baxter came thru last week and bought the whole lot!" That always made me chuckle and Baxter and I have laughed about it.

Those I respect and would recommend to anyone are Roy Nacewicz for fasteners of all kinds, Don and Bob Baxter for just about anything, Little Dearborn in Minneapolis has always been very good and Sam's Vintage Ford Parts in Denver was excellent, tho I moved away and haven't used them in some years.
Highboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #25
oldford

I use Mac's. Their parts seem to be just as good as anyone else and they ship fast. If you go to the ford v8 forum and ask, there's an old guy there that will always recomend C&G. I dont care what the subject is. he always brings in C&G. I believe he gets a kick back from them. They are slow to mail and have the highest prices around and the same parts.
oldford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 AM   #26
39portlander

I am fairly new to this hobby and have a bad case of flathead fever. Finding NOS through this site is great. I try to frequent business that are on this web site and the V8 times.

The venders mostly have the same parts, some more than others. The good one's will tell you who has what you need if they don't stock it or it's discontinued.

I'm in the HVAC/R service business and customer relations is more important than price. Dick Spadaro has the best quote (price is important, but experience counts more!) I also just wanted to put a shout out to for Heather Travis @ Bob Drake. She has contacted me more than once on back ordered parts that I have forgotten about and followed up on recieved condition, ect.

Hey let's face it, We are all lucky to have as many early Ford venders as we do. I hope there still around when my nephews and grandson get into this hobby
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #27
TJ

I'll second that about Heather at Drake's. She knows the parts and always has a smile and you can tell she loves her job. I've dealt with her in person and she is a great representaive for the company.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #28
Rem

As a foreigner, Mac's is quick and convenient as long as you know exactly what you want, and it is easy to order from their online catalogues. Their customer service has been helpful when parts are on back-order but I did have an issue with them once on a fuel filler pipe for an F100 being incorrect, and their attitude was that I was the one in the wrong.
Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #29
40fordpu

I have come across the same kinds of issues with MAC's although they did fix the issue and sent me the parts for free, without asking for the "wront/messed up" part back. They do have the best, user friendly website. If Drake or these other guys come out with better websites (for us young guys who are anti social haha) then they will dominate the market.
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #30
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in Alameda View Post
For ALL brake parts, information, and service go to Richard Lacey ..The Early V8 Garage in southern California.
Matt: Thanks for the mention! I am a dealer for Mac's and from that
standpoint, they do a great job for me. As with probably every other supplier or dealer, there are occasionally issues with quality, or actually "lack thereof". Mac's has always been very receptive to my input, and have worked with me to correct problems for future production of several parts, which benefits everyone. They are also ready and willing to take back stuff that didn't measure up.

I have been doing what I do for 15 years now, so am relatively new to the "industry" as compared to the many long/old timers. Before I was "in the business" I dealt with various suppliers dating back to the 1960's. Things seem to be ALOT better now, but there are still those who continue to knowingly sell stuff that is marginal, sub-standard, or just plain junk. With the internet, word gets around especially fast and far... like on this thread for example... so they
are quickly labeled for what they are and do. On the other hand, those who ARE doing an excellent job are quick to receive credit.

Finally, for my entire life (except before I could read or write, but maybe even then?) my simple last name LACY has been corrupted with an E that does not belong. Simple as it is, I ALWAYS have had to spell it out. They have a 50/50 chance to get it right, but they almost always want to throw in that blasted E. My wife once suggested that I get a license plate that reads "LACY NOE" but the one I REALLY wanted probably could not be had... Regardless, THANKS AGAIN for the recommendation!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #31
bobH

Here's my .02.... Richard is one of the good ones. Another one is Daryl Fryer. Another one is Jim Gordon. Another one is Bill McGrath. These are just a few examples of recent (last couple years) experiences.
On my 'bad' list... Dennis Carpenter, Bob Drake, C&G, Mac's.
Some details... Last summer I assembled my 34. There were several 'last-minute' items that I had overlooked, and needed to 'fill-in', and reach my target completion date. The guy that worked for me, and I, would always joke about what was going to arrive, and be a simple bolt-on. Most last-minute stuff came from Mac's or C&G. C&G gave excellent service - next day arrival. Mac's gave extremely poor service - usually 1 1/2-to-2 weeks. Most items had a zero percent chance of being simple bolt-on. The stuff needed to be re-worked, massaged, or whatever to make it fit. Quality was generally very poor. Anything that came from China, and was not absolutely necessary to make the car run, was sent back.
And, the second thing.... I don't like being lied to. Example: I bought a (32-36) water pump kit from C&G, maybe a couple years ago. It came nicely packaged and clearly marked as being sourced at Dennis Carpenter (even though I bought it at C&G), and clearly marked USA. (It fit, and installed perfectly.) I needed a second kit, so I called C&G to order. I specifically mentioned the kit I already had, and asked if they were selling the same kit. The guy gets off the phone, says I'll go look, he returns, and assures me that he has the Dennis Carpenter kit. I order, package arrives, and it is a pos, poorly packaged, and marked 'made-in-China'. This was the SECOND time that C&G did this to me. I'm pissed.
To keep this post 'short', no more examples. However, on the plus side, these sources are very helpful to keep our old Fords on the road. They are, IMO, a valuable resource. All I can say is, one must not have too high expectations. There are many things I have bought, knowing that the quality is not what I want, and I use the parts to 'get-down-the-road', and I keep looking for ORIGINAL parts, to 'upgrade' later.
JMO
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #32
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

For my 32 4 banger, Bert's out in Denver, real vintage parts and great people.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #33

Early Ford Store in Campbell, CA. Most of the parts I have bought there were from Drake. They did not charge shipping on the parts I ordered and picked up in person.

Happy with all the parts, except for the 1938 gas tank that was made incorrectly and would not fit without taking the body off the frame or beating in the side of the tank for clearance, (which I did to get it to fit).

I still think Drake should send me a new tank that will fit without having to remove the body from the frame, but to date, no new tank has be offered to me to replace the one I had to modify.

[email protected]
3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #34
39portlander

Been viewing this thread for the last couple day's, it's a good one. I now have some more names and sources for parts. We all seem to have a general attitude about the larger available parts vendors.

Life would be to easy if everyone had L.L. Bean's return policy. Good luck with your current projects and enjoy the summer!
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #35
Lyndon

I've stuck with Little Dearborn of Minneapolis, MN since the mid-80s and have not been let down yet.
Lyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #36
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3738 View Post

Happy with all the parts, except for the 1938 gas tank that was made incorrectly and would not fit without taking the body off the frame or beating in the side of the tank for clearance, (which I did to get it to fit).

I still think Drake should send me a new tank that will fit without having to remove the body from the frame, but to date, no new tank has be offered to me to replace the one I had to modify.

[email protected]
PLEASE don't get me started on that subject again....
Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #37
Krylon32

Been using Dick Spadaro and Don Baxter for many years with no complaints!
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 AM   #38
true blue 32 man

Dick Spadaro is Numero Uno but one supplier not mentioned is Little Daerborn Parts in Minnesota. Top qualiy stuff at reasonable prices. Very prompt delivery.
true blue 32 man is offline   Reply With Quote