Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2018, 10:41 PM   #1
Thriftmaster

Default 12 volt alternator ???

I know this is a stock forum but there is a cross over of different people on here. I have a V8-60 that is been well worked over with Edelbrock heads and 2x2 slingshot intake.
My problem is that I want to run a 12 volt alternator in the stock position that the generator was. The slingshot intake moved the carb so far forward that I am having a problem finding an alternator that is short enough to mount in the front of the carb.
With 2.5" spacers under the carbs the area I have is limited so I am trying to find an alternator that with a wide V belt pulley can not be any longer in length than 5.5".
Every alternator I have found GM,Honda,Toyota etc,that all small ones are 6" - 6.5"s in total length and will not fit into the space I have.
Does anyone know of one that has a shorter over all length? If any of the ones I mentioned previously did not have the one inch of metal housing on the back of them they would fit in the space I have to work with.
I was looking at the 12 volt Kubota tractor alternators with 20 amp out put but my research so far says they are limited to low RPMs and are unstable in the higher RPM range for amp out put. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Thriftmaster; 12-09-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:08 AM   #2
40 Deluxe

Default Re: 12 volt alternator ???

Just measured a 1986 Suzuki Samurai alternator. 5 1/2" overall including pulley. This includes the lip on the front side of the pulley, so I think a wide V belt pulley without a lip would be the same. It has a built-in regulator and put out enough current to run the A/C, lights, radio and ignition at least. No RPM problem here, either!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
L5wolvesf

Default Re: 12 volt alternator ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftmaster View Post
I was looking at the 12 volt Kubota tractor alternators with 20 amp out put but my research so far says they are limited to low RPMs and are unstable in the higher RPM range for amp out put. Any help would be appreciated.
Can you get a different diameter pulley for the Kubota alternator?