Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
52merc

Default gps

okay guys how do you rig up a gps on 6volts
Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
hotcoupe

Default Re: gps

i put one in my `37 1/2 ton, 6 volt positive ground. a GPS runs on 5 volts, but it has to be negative ground, so i used a "convertor". it changes 6 volt positive ground to 12 volts negative ground, it is an e-bay item, costs about $50.00. anyway, that`s how i did it.
tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
52merc

so where on ebay ive tried converters,,,inverters all get id cars
Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
hotcoupe

e-bat item #
tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
oldford2

Our GPS will run 3 hours on a full charge so just turn it on occasionally when on a trip in our 46. Then I have a charger that plugs in to 110 in the motel and good to go the next day.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
flatford8

A GPS is availible on an iPhone ifbyou have one Thats what I use with a speedometer app.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:46 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52merc View Post
okay guys how do you rig up a gps on 6volts
Trev, I have been using my 12V Garmin GPS on 6V for several years. I bought a cigar lighter socket/receptacle and hard wired it for correct polarity with the GPS power cord that has a cigar lighter plug on one end. I used a piece of heat shrink tubing to cover the outer socket/receptical housing to keep it from shorting to positively grounded parts on the car.
I also have a small 12V battery power pack that I can use to temporarily power my cell phone, digital camera, ipad or GPS.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #8
Old Henry

I like to use Microsoft Streets and Trips on my lap top for GPS since I'm more used to reading maps.

The computer battery lasts about 4 hours then, if I need to, I can plug it into my tire pump that's 12 volt rechargeable with a cigarette lighter socket on it. Can be used for 12 volt or 110 volt with the little 75 watt inverter shown.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
jimTN

I have 6 to 12 converters on all myT's and run them off old Radio Shack converters which you can find on ebay a lot cheaper than the $50 plus rig that shows up regularily. They can be wired for either polarity. You just have to watch on a regular basis and they will come up.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #10
Cecil/WV

I cut the power cord and reversed the wires and run it on my '40 pickup. I marked the cord and don't take it out of the truck so I don't use it on 12 v.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
I cut the power cord and reversed the wires and run it on my '40 pickup. I marked the cord and don't take it out of the truck so I don't use it on 12 v.
The only problem with running the 12 volt GPS on 6 volts with reversed wires is with a generator at idle the voltage gets to low to the GPS and it shuts down and has to be restarted. This occurs in towns just when you need it. With a good alternator you don't get this problem. A small 6 to 12 volt converter works good. These are still available and are about 3"s square. G.M.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #12
34billct

Red face Re: gps

As they say, your results may vary. But in the last four years using my GPS on six volts I have not experienced any problems. I have a Garmin.
34billct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
The only problem with running the 12 volt GPS on 6 volts with reversed wires is with a generator at idle the voltage gets to low to the GPS and it shuts down and has to be restarted. This occurs in towns just when you need it. With a good alternator you don't get this problem. A small 6 to 12 volt converter works good. These are still available and are about 3"s square. G.M.
I also had some problems with low voltage trying to shut the GPS down when powered by the 6v system. This typically happened while driving at night with halogen lights, especially when the brake lights came on. One thing that seemed to help this was installing a new Optima battery last Spring. This battery maintains a higher voltage level under load compared to the battery it replaced. Also spins the engine better, almost like a 12v battery would.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
JT FORD

I have a small gell battery that is used for under water cameras. Its 12 volt and I put it under the seat with a female lighter pulg in on it. I use it for the gps and charger for cell phone. Lasts along time on a charge. About $15.00 for battery.
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #15
Lawrie

Trev go to a Jaycar store ,get a part AA0264, I have them in my cars,you then get a 12v output to use for a Twoway radio or GPS.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #16
OptimaJim

John, thanks for choosing Optima I don't have a 6-volt vehicle, but I do use GPS without needing to plug in. I downloaded the free mobile navigation app, Waze and run it on my iPhone. The app does use a lot of battery, but I also have a Mophie case, which gives me several hours on Waze at a minimum. I used to use a regular gps device, but I've found the real-time traffic updates (as well as law enforcement & road hazard updates) and re-routing ability to be incredibly reliable and useful. It also has a speedometer feature.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
OptimaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #17
Bolts

I'd be careful about trusting Pepe as the navigator. Even with the screen right in front of him, he doesn't seem to care where he's going. Viva Pepe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
I like to use Microsoft Streets and Trips on my lap top for GPS since I'm more used to reading maps.

The computer battery lasts about 4 hours then, if I need to, I can plug it into my tire pump that's 12 volt rechargeable with a cigarette lighter socket on it. Can be used for 12 volt or 110 volt with the little 75 watt inverter shown.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #18
Old Henry

Old 02-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #19
CaliforniaBorn36

JT FORD, what gel battery are you using? I was thinking that this could also be a solution for running a 12V car stereo. Some of these batteries are getting pretty small and would be easier to conceal than a regular 12V car battery and could be maintained with a Battery Maintainer between uses.
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #20
JT FORD

This battery is a MK 6"x 4-1/2" x 2-1/2" Cabela's, Bass Pro, and automotive supply stores sell them. I have had mine for 7-8 years. I lay it under the front seat. 2 amp
charger is best for it.
JT
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote