Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: YOM license plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I think Maryland is as simple as it can get... A set can be restored or not with close to original colors..(not all beat up & rusted)..No pictures of car needed, A one time fee of $40.00 & you never have to re-new..Just take them in to DMV one time & go home & mount on car.. its over..
Minnesota is the same.
Minnesota did one smart thing years ago when they dropped the annual car inspection.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #22
Ed Saniewski

Thanks to all for the input. Al the turnerplates.com site is very helpful. At a glance, it seems most states make you carry the new plates inside the car , and display the approved YOM plates outside.

I was doing some work in our state senators office and asked the office manager if YOM registration was something the senator could work on, she said yes. I would need to put together a proposal for him and do some research.

I know this is a long shot, but worth a try, Thanks again, Ed Saniewski

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #23
socalplanedoc

maybe I like to live on the edge? (A california license plate story)
before I know about the YOM program....
My first vintage car was a 54 Cadillac, I happen to find a nice set of correct plates at a yard sale - paid 10 bux for them.
I applied for "vanity plates" using those numbers, but when they arrived I mounted the ones I bought at the yard sale. 14 years now, 4 times stopped by law enforcement, no one has ever noticed. Numbers match the registration, only a DMV clerk-weenie would notice if they ever had an occasion to examine the papers and were looking for a problem (not likely) The shiny new reflectorized vanity plates are in the file if and when the car is ever sold.
Besides, what's the penalty if you did get caught? My guess is it wouldnt be much more than a stern finger-shake and you'd have to make it right When I told my cop freinds even they thought it was funny.
I've done that with three cars but my most recent is a 40 Fordor - for this I did the YOM program since I now know it exists. In the end, it's really a Vanity Plate program only you get to use real plates instead. Just like the vanity program, if I wanted to keep them after selling the car, all I have to do is go into the DMV and they'll assign a new sequential plate to the car.. easy.

by the way, California has a new program that will issue older-style plate replicas - the Legacy plate program - the Yellow-on-Blue, Yellow-on-Black, Black-on-Yellow plates for people that want them. They're not original (state law now requires plates to be reflectorized) but they look it. Funny thing is you can get a 1960's style plate for a brand new car, they're not restricting them to being correct for that year. It's not perfect but you gotta give them credit for trying ideas..

My family has had a 67 GMC truck since it was new. The original steel Black plate on the rear dock bumper was so rusted there wast room for the tags anymore. Dad made a new one from scratch by making a mold from the front plate and hydro-pressing an aluminum blank. Painted in the correct colors, you cant tell it's not the original unless DMV - CSI starts investigating. Numbers are right, fees are paid.. who cares?

I think the various laws intend to stop those would commit fraud. there's no fraud here. I can see it now.. "what are you in for?" "I painted my license plate"
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #24
QGolden

Hey Keith, thanks for the updated, I did not know that and now I need to add a set 1930 NH plates to my wish list.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #25
Todd'sflathead

I have my 1950 florida plate for my 1950 tudor. its real easy to do in florida.
Todd'sflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #26
billybronco1

Massachusetts does
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #27
rustiny

Utah allows them as well but you need to have a matching set. They won't allow it if you only have one. Which makes it pretty tough since it can be difficult to find a pair.
rustiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #28
1oldtimer

Here's some I've come up with.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...2&postcount=59

Anyone living in Iowa, Mississippi, Rhode Island, Vermont, Wisconsin or Wyoming that has gone through the Year of Manufacture programs want to chime in.

Last edited by 1oldtimer; 12-23-2012 at 01:36 PM.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #29
Nodakwalleyer

North Dakota does as well, just registered my 1931 coupe with original 31 plates, cost me $17 dollars, no renewal. Just had to be legible, correct colors and have 5 digits.
Nodakwalleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #30
Tom in SW VA

Virginia does.
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #31
Tom Cavallaro

I live in NJ. I wish I could register my 30 coupe with a perfect set of 1934 NJ plates I acquired If NJ figured out how to make money on allowing this...I'm sure it wouldn't be feasable...expense wise...
Tom Cavallaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #32
Jerry Parr WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer View Post
Here's some I've come up with.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...2&postcount=59

Anyone living in Iowa, Mississippi, Rhode Island, Vermont, Wisconsin or Wyoming that has gone through the Year of Manufacture programs want to chime in.
Wisconsin allows any vehicle registered as an antique to display YOM plates. The current plate which is a one time $5. must be carried in the car. No requirements on the YOM plate. Collector plates which are more popular than antique plates as they have no use restrictions do not permit YOM plates.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #33
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Texas does. No need to have any other plate (modern). Only need rear plate. Bring plate in so they can verify color scheme as authentic to the YOM and that the number isn't being used by anyone. Simple. Cheap.

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 12-25-2012 at 08:32 PM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #34
Boston Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Saniewski View Post
I want to try and get New Jersey to allow year of mfg. license plates for antique automobiles. I need to know what states do allow the use, so I can research the info for our legislators. Thanks for the help, Ed Saniewski
Good luck. Isn't just about anything fun illegal in New Jersey?
Boston Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #35
raprice

New York State has allowed YOM plates on vintage cars for many years. If you have a set of plates for the year of your car, you need to take a photo of the plates and mail it to NY DMV in Albany for the OK. The rest is simple as filling out the registration form and send the necessary check.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #36
denis4x4

Did the same thing socalplanedoc did with a personalized plate. Never been stopped, but have received parking tickets!

To the OP: contact SEMA.org for help in drafting a bill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-002F.JPG (67.6 KB, 7 views)
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #37
SSsssteamer

Washington state allows YOM plates too. Only one required on the rear. Correct colors and legilbe. Initial cost was one year's standard plate fee plus $25. Good forever at no additional annual cost. Car has to be 30 years old to qualify. The plate carries the same restrictions as the other states. Not used in gainful occupation (to and from work) , etc. On my 1946 pickup, I pay for a standard yearly tab so that I can still haul things legally.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote