Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
TAshcraft
Junior Member
 
TAshcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15
Default 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

My grandaddy passed away in Sep., this weekend I brought home the beloved 40' Ford. I was told that a 50' Ford truck motor had been put into the car at some point. How can I tell if I am looking at a 40' or 50' for V8? . Any help would be great!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TAshcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #2
skidmarks
Senior Member
 
skidmarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: newark, delaware
Posts: 3,735
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

First give away is the distributor and then the thermostat necks. Makes it a 49 to 53 motor. 49 to 52 truck motor were basically a bolt in with the water pumps oil pan and exhaust manifolds
If you started with a 49 to 53 ford car motor you would have to swap the pieces i mentioned above. 53 truck motor had different wanter pumps and bellhousing which also have to be changed.
skidmarks is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
paul2748
Senior Member
 
paul2748's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midland Park, NJ
Posts: 2,972
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

Definitely a 49 and up engine.

Curious on how the vacuum to the distributor is hooked up. Looks like the vacuum line goes to the inside. For these distributor, vacuum sourcedfrom the carb?
__________________
48 Ford Conv
56 Tbird
54 Ford Victoria
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
TAshcraft
Junior Member
 
TAshcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
First give away is the distributor and then the thermostat necks. Makes it a 49 to 53 motor. 49 to 52 truck motor were basically a bolt in with the water pumps oil pan and exhaust manifolds
If you started with a 49 to 53 ford car motor you would have to swap the pieces i mentioned above. 53 truck motor had different wanter pumps and bellhousing which also have to be changed.


Thank you for the info. The car runs pretty good but has an antifreeze leak. I was looking at starting with the cheaper hoses and cables and beginning to redo the car piece by piece. Thank you again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TAshcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
skidmarks
Senior Member
 
skidmarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: newark, delaware
Posts: 3,735
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Definitely a 49 and up engine.

Curious on how the vacuum to the distributor is hooked up. Looks like the vacuum line goes to the inside. For these distributor, vacuum sourcedfrom the carb?
Yes vacuum is off back of carburetor. Loadomatic
skidmarks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #6
40 Deluxe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: now Kuna, Idaho
Posts: 3,508
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
That might be the '40 carb on there. If so, your ignition timing is way out of whack! The advance rate would be all wrong or non-existent if the line is not hooked up. The '40 carb does not have a vacuum port and the '49-'53 intake does not have a vacuum advance fitting.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
Vintage Copper 47
Senior Member
 
Vintage Copper 47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The sleepy San Fernando Valley
Posts: 394
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

Makes me glad I have a flathead six... way simpler!
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:38 PM   #8
cas3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: sw minnesota
Posts: 2,690
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

lets see the rest of the car!!!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:56 PM   #9
rich b
Senior Member
 
rich b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,328
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Definitely a 49 and up engine.

Curious on how the vacuum to the distributor is hooked up. Looks like the vacuum line goes to the inside. For these distributor, vacuum sourcedfrom the carb?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
That might be the '40 carb on there. If so, your ignition timing is way out of whack! The advance rate would be all wrong or non-existent if the line is not hooked up. The '40 carb does not have a vacuum port and the '49-'53 intake does not have a vacuum advance fitting.
Looks to me like the vacuum line runs back and makes a curl by the side of the intake (where the extra throttle spring is hooked) and then continues up to the back of the carb.

And we need some pictures of the whole car.

Last edited by rich b; 03-26-2017 at 11:58 PM. Reason: more
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:09 AM   #10
40 Deluxe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: now Kuna, Idaho
Posts: 3,508
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Looks to me like the vacuum line runs back and makes a curl by the side of the intake (where the extra throttle spring is hooked) and then continues up to the back of the carb.

And we need some pictures of the whole car.
After enlarging the photo my feeble eyes do see the line as you say.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:22 AM   #11
19Fordy
Senior Member
 
19Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 8,708
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

Nice car.
Don't forget to add the wire for the temperature sending unit.
If possible, please post more photos of the car, including the
engine compartment and interior. The posted photo is too large.
Enjoy.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:02 AM   #12
TAshcraft
Junior Member
 
TAshcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

Ask and ye shall receive.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TAshcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #13
rotorwrench
Senior Member
 
rotorwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 12,396
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

Nice looking old Tudor Sedan. It looks like a more durable vinyl trim set was installed at some point. Looks to be set up for driving. Sure a lot of fun driving them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #14
Seth Swoboda
Senior Member
 
Seth Swoboda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 2,937
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Copper 47 View Post
Makes me glad I have a flathead six... way simpler!
The V8 is as simple as the 6 cylinder. Just two more cylinders involved.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #15
Seth Swoboda
Senior Member
 
Seth Swoboda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 2,937
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

TAsh,

I have a '40 standard Tudor as well. You have a nice car, drive the hell out of it!
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #16
19Fordy
Senior Member
 
19Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 8,708
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

TAshcraft: Thanks for posting those extra photos.
Beautiful car. "Standards" have an "agressive" look.
I like the fact that it came with a roll of duct tape just in case
a radiator hose bursts. Is that round shaped item under
the dash a heater? For safety sake add a bolt on LED
brake /taillight to the bumper brace if you don't install
one in the rear fender. Having an original clock instead
of the plain Standard glove box door is neat. Dual exhausts too.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #17
TAshcraft
Junior Member
 
TAshcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
TAshcraft: Thanks for posting those extra photos.
Beautiful car. "Standards" have an "agressive" look.
I like the fact that it came with a roll of duct tape just in case
a radiator hose bursts. Is that round shaped item under
the dash a heater? For safety sake add a bolt on LED
brake /taillight to the bumper brace if you don't install
one in the rear fender. Having an original clock instead
of the plain Standard glove box door is neat. Dual exhausts too.


Yes it is a heater, the switch is under the dash and a light comes on through it once it is on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TAshcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #18
mike42
Senior Member
 
mike42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gaylord, Michigan
Posts: 1,423
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

BadAssTash.....very nice !
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #19
mike42
Senior Member
 
mike42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gaylord, Michigan
Posts: 1,423
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

You can never have enough duck tape !
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #20
4dFord/SC
Senior Member
 
4dFord/SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,570
Default Re: 1940 Ford Sedan (standard)

FYI, the glove box door is from a '40 Deluxe.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.