Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
HOTRODPRIMER

Default Seat adjuster on 1932 Ford

I ask this question on the Hamb but since the car has the original seat and frame I was thinking I may get a quicker response here,,

Any photos or diagrams would really help.

I was driving my 32 4-door sedan last night and I had a problem with my seat when some idiot pulled out in front of me and I had to stab the brakes pretty hard to avoid a collision,,thank God I have good mechanical brakes.

The seat moved as far forward as the track will allow which wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't 6'4'' tall and have granddaddy long legs,,

I pulled in a parking lot and managed to get out and lift up the bottom of the seat and notice the teeth on the ratchet were not coming in contact with the catch,,,

When I got it back in place I drove through the parking lot and stabbed the brakes again same thing happened.

Is there a spring or something I'm missing to hold the ratchet lever down against the catch? HRP

Old 08-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
gearhead1952

Default Re: Seat adjuster on 1932 Ford

I'm pretty sure a small but stiff spring goes in the area where the two slotted screws are located. If you look in this pic you can see a hole in the rod and a hole in the front bracket. I have not done it yet myself but this is my best guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34seatadj.jpg (19.5 KB, 83 views)
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
HOTRODPRIMER

I found this photo and it appears my ratchet piece is broken where it should have a handle attached,,I also have the wrong floor mounted piece. HRP

Old 08-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Richard (EV8G)

Yes there is a spring to keep the handle from rotating, thus keeping the seat
adjuster in a locked position. The spring is visible (barely) in the exploded view photo.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
HOTRODPRIMER

I have figured out that the spring is still attached and the ratchet does rotate,,the problem is I am missing the handle and the leading edge of the ratchet that the handle attaches too.

I am also missing the correct piece that attaches to the floor,,

From what I can see I assume it has a slot through which the ratchet arm travels,,this I believe would prevent the arm from slipping under hard braking conditions and hold the arm in place.

I will have to fabricate something to hold it in place until I locate the correct pieces. HRP
Old 08-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
gmc1941

Part #A47838 $5.25 at Mac's. macsautoparts.com if you have the catolog page #215
gmc1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
SIR DUCE

It looks like you need a new seat adjuster bracket, which bolts to the floor. This piece retains the seat adjuster ratchet arm to hold the seat in the position you have selected. I have a reproduction seat adjuster arm I would sell you cheap if you can live with a repop--it is a very close reproduction and does not show under the seat anyway. SIR DUCE [email protected] or 425-226-4775
SIR DUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:20 AM   #8
l.e.d.man

United Pacific Industries has the 1932 5-window coupe seat tracks in-stock, pn B20407
l.e.d.man is offline   Reply With Quote