Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
sidhartha

Default Touring cams

I've been wondering if a touring cam really adds much horse power to the motor. With a Snyder's 5.5:1 head and touring cam I'm guessing it would make just a few more horses.
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: Touring cams

It adds enough power that you can feel it in the seat of your pants.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhartha View Post
I've been wondering if a touring cam really adds much horse power to the motor. With a Snyder's 5.5:1 head and touring cam I'm guessing it would make just a few more horses.
Yea, about 15.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
lindy williams

If James is correct at 15 additional horsepower, that's a 35% increase. That's a lot.
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
Patrick L.

Are you thinking about a regrind or new Stipe cam ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Randall

You will find curves you didn't know was there!LOL
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
sidhartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Are you thinking about a regrind or new Stipe cam ?
I'm planning on using a reground cam. I assume the reground model A cam will reduce the lift and add duration.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Dave in MN

Sidhartha,
Your original guess that a cam reground to a touring profile will add only a few more hp is correct. I have found that using the original A cam with a touring grind will not produce what a new Stipe touring cam will. I have dyno'd Stipe’s 330 and 340 camshafts with Snyder's 5.5:1 and 6:1 heads. The Stipe 330 and 340 with 5.5:1 head will put out 51-53 hp. The 6:1 head will add about 2 hp to either cam. Most Model A engines with original camshafts re-ground to touring profile and 5:5.1 head will pull 42-44 hp. Engines with standard heads and original camshafts re-ground to Stipe's touring grind have a hard time pulling 40 hp. Stipe’s new 330 touring cam is probably the best overall choice to use with a 5.5:1 Snyder’s and standard Zenith carb. IMO: To get the full benefit of the 340 touring, one should be using a larger intake manifold and carb along with porting of the intake passages. Without additional carburetion, the extra lift of the 340 seems to be wasted.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
James Rogers

Another one of those times when Dave is correct. With oversize intake valves you should see about 55-57 HP with the Stipe cam and Snyder head.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
sidhartha

Thanks, that was what I thought from the beginning. Having my cam reground is reasonable at around $100.00. But for no more than I'll gain I think I'll hold off for now though. Maybe getting a Stipe cam for the engine will be next winters project.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Jim Brierley

Dave is right, if you don't go to a larger carb changing the cam is a waste of time and money. With a larger carb, the cam will be a big benefit. The quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to get added performance is carb and compression.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
afuncar

I just had a new motor built for my 30 roadster counterbalanced crank lightened flywheel Ib330 stipe cam snyder 5.5 head bored .125 throated intake stock exhaust and carb. amazing power, tork feels like a v8 worth every penny and more.
afuncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhartha View Post
I'm planning on using a reground cam. I assume the reground model A cam will reduce the lift and add duration.
It will INCREASE the lift and duration.
It will also increase the rate of lift.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
amishman

I just got my new rebuilt motor from Antique Engine Rebuilder, in the 1930 townsedan, it's got 5.5 head, balanced crank, larger intake and exhaust valves, with Stipe .340 cam, I was told on early post back in Dec. that this combination would make for a great touring car, I want to drive from Mich, to Tacoma, WA to next year's national convention. Well, so far it don't seem to have much power. I tried two carb's that ran the same, so I took the carb. off my Roadster that runs great with AER motor and 5.1 head. It didn't run any better, I've now put on a B-carb with the Intake bored out .070 and it does seem to be a little better. Talked to Stipe and AER , they say that I'm not going to realize the full potential of this motor without a downdraft carb. I know the engine is tight yet, but was really expecting alot more power.
amishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
Duffy1

How about the headers to go along with the down draft plus over drive for touring.
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #16
PC/SR

Amishman: When you say you ran two carbs, do you mean two at the same time, or two different carbs on the stock manifold? You really need a downdraft set up to realize the potential you have with the other mods. See Jim Brierely's comment #11. One downdraft would be good, 2 of the right size would be better.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #17
Rock Hornbuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishman View Post
I just got my new rebuilt motor from Antique Engine Rebuilder, in the 1930 townsedan, it's got 5.5 head, balanced crank, larger intake and exhaust valves, with Stipe .340 cam, I was told on early post back in Dec. that this combination would make for a great touring car, I want to drive from Mich, to Tacoma, WA to next year's national convention. Well, so far it don't seem to have much power. I tried two carb's that ran the same, so I took the carb. off my Roadster that runs great with AER motor and 5.1 head. It didn't run any better, I've now put on a B-carb with the Intake bored out .070 and it does seem to be a little better. Talked to Stipe and AER , they say that I'm not going to realize the full potential of this motor without a downdraft carb. I know the engine is tight yet, but was really expecting alot more power.
Amishman, If you have ever driven to Tacoma Wa. from Mich, you know that there are four mountain passes. The continental divide at 6,368 ft elev., then lookout pass at 4,680 ft., then 4th of July pass at 3,081 ft., and lastly snoqualmie at 3,022 ft. If you don't use every last HP you can wring out of your engine, you will be in 2nd gear a lot of the time. These aren't hills like Tenn, No Carolina, or W.Va. You'll need a strong engine that doesn't overheat.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote