Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
zoegrant

Default Overdrive problem identified

image.jpg

not sure how clear this picture is but try tapping on the picture to enlarge it and you will see in the lower left corner that the pawl is trying to enter the balk ring but is catching the lower left corner of the balk ring assembly.
I have no idea how this happens so I will ask Mac VanPelt. I sure don't want to go thru this again.
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Overdrive problem identified

The pawl catches in the large notch step of the balk ring when it's cocked for shift after the governor reaches on speed and the operating solenoid extends the pawl. It sets in the notch until the driver lets off the throttle. This action creates a reverse motion of the planetary sun gear and the balk ring due to the rear axle momentum and will move to allow the pawl to seat on into the gear plate notch. The balk ring has to have a minimum friction fit with the gear plate in order for it to move properly. I always make sure and check the friction fit of the balk ring when I have one apart.

The thing I notice there is that it looks like the lock out rail is engaging into the pawl locking groove or maybe that's just daylight I see there. That would keep the pawl from further engagement if it was in there. As far as the little step on the balk ring, it would move back the other way as soon as the driver pushed back down on the throttle but the shift rail is what looks to be blocking the pawl unless I'm just seeing things. I really can't tell if you have a problem there yet without being able to tinker with the works.

Your going to know how these units work after all you have invested into these checks. I learned using the 1949/51 Lincoln Mercury Overhaul manual during my own overhauls of those units. All of the Borg Warner designs work the same way whether its a Ford, Chevy,or Studebaker model.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-21-2020 at 02:54 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
Dobie Gillis

I agree, the lockout rail is definitely in the notch in the pawl. Zoegrant, when you reassemble the trans you should check the action of the cable to make sure the lever it operates has full travel stop to stop. The lockout rail locks the sun gear and pinion carrier when the cable is pulled out or when reverse is selected with the cable pushed in since the OD won't transmit reverse drive.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
40cpe

That is the shift rail hole in the plate between the OD housing and the transmission housing, not the shift rail. When the shift rail is in OD position there is a notch in the rail that allows the pawl to engage.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
Dobie Gillis

Fooled the hell outta me. Maybe I need an eye exam...