Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
oldford31

Default Removal of multiple disk plate packet

Disk plate packet (did not look up proper name) slipped right out of internal splines on flywheel with prior A's. Not this one! It is like frozen within the flywheel. Throw-out bearing is far forward, clutch fingers are free, and bell housing is unbolted and can be rotated. Perhaps worn notches on internal flywheel splines locking packet teeth in notches to not allow it to be pulled straight back? Clutch was operable prior to pulling engine. Please advise something simple I'm missing, rather than securing motor to a tree and giving a yank with FWD truck, or some other brutal attempt.
Thanks!
oldford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
Pinesdune

Default Re: Removal of multiple disk plate packet

My plates weren't perfectly aligned when I went to instal mine a couple months ago after a rebuild so I had the oposite trouble of trying to get it together. I found that if I pushed the clutch pedal down as applying pressure to the rear of the transmission that I was able to get the clutch disengaged enough to allow the plates to move into position. Could you try wedging a block of wood or? whatever to hold the throwout bearing engaged/in place, leaving the plates free to move while you tried wiggling the assembly out???
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
oldford31

Perhaps I can get throw-out bearing forward a bit more than my prior prying attempts, but doubt it will be more than 1/8" - will give it another try.

Regarding assembly alignment of plates: using a press, with support under front side of flywheel, and splined side up, place packet into splines, then carefully use press to compress the monster spring to attach the 5 nuts on rear plate with attached throw-out bearing. I'm sure folks will say a KR Wilson tool is a must to get alignment and that using a press is hazardous, but this has worked for me on prior assemblies.
oldford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I just used a length of threaded rod to work on my multiplate clutch pack.
Remember the disc with the small chisel notch goes towards the rear of the car.
This disc has teeth a hair wider than the rest and keeps the pack from being too loose.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
Pinesdune

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford31 View Post
Perhaps I can get throw-out bearing forward a bit more than my prior prying attempts, but doubt it will be more than 1/8" - will give it another try.

Regarding assembly alignment of plates: using a press, with support under front side of flywheel, and splined side up, place packet into splines, then carefully use press to compress the monster spring to attach the 5 nuts on rear plate with attached throw-out bearing. I'm sure folks will say a KR Wilson tool is a must to get alignment and that using a press is hazardous, but this has worked for me on prior assemblies.
As the clutch pack and throw out bearing is assembled, can u adjust the throwout bearing any more to give you more clutch disengagement when you press the pedal, wedge something in place to hold it there, then it'll leave your hands free to work on getting it out. Only other thing I can think of holding it up would be if the pilot bearing was seized to the end of the transmission input shaft.
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #6
2manycars

I have the original tool to assemble the clutch pack. If you were closer, you could come over here and use it.