Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
banjoQ

Default Installing tube shock kit- 36 pickup

I have been driving my truck quite a bit in the last few months. I felt that the addition of front shocks would improve drivability and handling. This truck had no shocks whatsoever, rode on the leaf springs. Budget concerns steered me in the direction of a tube shock kit over the originals. Picked up a Weedeater kit from a Calif. supplier. Installation instructions were short and sweet. They went something like this, bolt in upper shock support, R&R perch pins and add hardware to mount shock. Bolting in the upper support went well enough, but the removal of the perch pins has been problematic. My inexperience and the brevity of the instructions led me to remove the perch pins without releasing the front leaf spring. The pin came out in the usual manner, but I noticed the left side of the wishbone shift a half an inch towards the center. Tried raising the axle on either side to see if I could flex it back into position, no luck. Which now leads me to think I must release the front spring to put this all back together. Borrowed a spring spreader only to find it would not open wide enough. Now I am committed to trying to release the spring with a bottle jack. I am pretty sure I can get this done, but the shackles have me wondering. Today I experimented with the bottle jack and taking the shackles apart. It became apparent that the shackle needs to be removed by taking of the back plate and pulling forward. Is this a possibility? There is no room to do this in reverse as the axle is too close. Anyone experience this kind of situation? Am I on the right track? My hope is that when I release the spring that I am able to move the axle and wishbone a bit to line these up. As it sits now, there is no way to move either of these parts into alignment. If anyone has any thoughts on this, please let me know. This is my first early Ford and I am learning as I go. Hopefully I can get this back together soon as it's killing me not to be able to drive it. Thanks in advance.
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:44 AM   #2
flatheadfan

Default Re: Installing tube shock kit- 36 pickup

As you have found out what you are attempting to do is not a "slam dunk" operation. As I understand, you have one end of the spring loose. The only practical way you are going to remove the pins and their shell is to remove the entire spring and work on it on your bench.

To start find every mechanical jack in your garage and put it under the front end of the truck for support. Remove the four nuts from the spring u-bolts. The loose end of the spring will drop down. There should be no tension at this point that will require a spring spreader. Remove the remaining shackle nuts that hold the remaining spring end to the chassis. Remove the spring.

The spring pins usually will come out with minimal work. The unfortunate part is they usually leave the shell behind which doesn't like to come out. I use an adjustable reamer to get them out. Others have their own tricks to get the shells out but they must come out.

Rather than replace the original type of pins with other steel pins I use replacement rubber bushings which are readily available at very nominal cost.

As for replacement of the spring back on the vehicle, you will need a spring spreader. Details of installing a spring have been discussed several times on the 'Barn. A "search" should give you the needed guidance. However, spreading a spring is dangerous and requires due diligence.

I am sure others will add to what I have said . At any rate, I hope this is of some help.

Tom

Last edited by flatheadfan; 03-16-2014 at 12:20 PM.
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
V8COOPMAN

It's amazing in itself that you were able to remove ANY perch pin with the spring still in place. You've kind of backed yourself into a corner. C A R E F U L L Y...you need to get the spring tension off of the shackles before you proceed any farther. Check the threads on that perch, as it seems quite possible they may be damaged as that first perch came out with that tension on the wishbone. Good luck! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
Brendan

Banjo Q when I first got my 36 pickup the spring shackles where worn out. and when you jump up and down on the rear bumper the truck did not move up and down a lot. I first pulled the rear end out and replaced the spring shackles and bushings. I had a friend tell me to take the spring apart and grind it smooth with a flap wheal. I ground down each leaf back so it dose not dig into the leaf that it sits on and smoothed out each one this is a very messy dirty job, when putting it back together I was able to put in the main leaf then sandwich the others back on. a friend has a tool that he made with 3/8 plate and long 5/8 all thread to put the leafs back together. after I did this the truck was able to bounce a lot better. about a year later I rebuilt the front end and did the same thing to the front spring then I put shocks the front only. then later I put shocks on the rear and man what a difference all that work made. I was able to find some good original shocks good luck and be careful with the spring

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
Brendan

oh one other thing , my friend has a 35 pickup and he used the stock spring perch for his tube shock the bracket that would hold the shaft for mechanical brakes , he used for the lower shock mount and he got some Ford shock mounts from a 46 to 48 ford, I think that is the year .

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
banjoQ

Well, I certainly understand I am in deep water here. I might not know alot, but I can sense when things are'nt right. Maybe I can get my hands on another spreader. The guy who lent me the one I tried to use also had one for Model A rears. It had a slight arch to it. Might this one do the job? I now know I will get nowhere with this job till I get the tension off the spring and axle. One step at a time. Thanks to those who weighed in. I will let you all know what I find out.
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote