Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #21
700rpm

Default Re: Rhd?$?$?$?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedome View Post
Thanks! I'm also into British bikes so RHD will be a hit at the meets.
Are those British bike RHD?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #22
ratamahata

A models are very common in Argentina, of course some of them are in good condition and others not so much...
ratamahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #23
Firedome

So far the frame looks decent...there are some really funny adaptations done apparently to keep it on the road...like the wonky front spring mounted in front of the axle, which was bolted to a length of C channel arc welded across the frame (in front of the radiator)...but the original cross member is in good shape and she sports nice original bones so they must have found a longer spring after the original one broke...and adapted it..haha!

This will be corrected.

ARLEN: Can you send me photos of the Right side front spindle and how the steering linkage connects up...this one looks to also have been "adapted" but just wanna make sure. Thanks.
Firedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #24
Paul from Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28RPU View Post
I drove those postal jeeps for a living for many years.Takes about a minute to get used to it and then there is no difference. But they are automatic and shifting with the left hand on a straight shift might take longer to master.
You do make a good point. Both mine were automatic. I didn't think about that. I cut the roof off the first one with a hacksaw blade. I was surprised when the cowl, windshield, fenders, radiator and hood bounced up and down at the slightest ripple in the surface of the road without the roof bracing it all (the radiator was mounted on springs like our Model As and all the rest was attached to the radiator). A trip to the local sheet metal shop solved that, the tech fabricated some side panels to link the cowl to the rear quarters like on standard CJs. At the time I was towing advertising banners in '46 Super Cruisers with the joystick operated by the right hand and the throttle mounted on the left hand bulkhead just below the side window. Of course I had learned to fly in planes with control wheels operated by the left hand and throttles by the right. I recall the transition was easy, but then again I was 28 years younger and a flight instructor teaching from the right seat in more modern Tomahawks and Cherokees. By the way, the second DJ-5 I owned, I left the roof on!

Last edited by Paul from Maine; 03-16-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote