Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2020, 06:14 AM   #1
Daddysearly30pickup

Default Oohga horn screen replacement

Good morning All,
Rebuilding the horn from Daddy's pickup, picking up where he left of in '68. Looks like he was trying to make 1 out of two. I have all the parts located and am curious how the screen is installed. My idea at the moment is to make a gadget to depress the center while supporting the outer edge with a ring on the opposite side to "cup" the screen, place it in position and release it. Seems that would minimize risk to scratching the bell.

Interested in hearing from those with successful experience installing the screen.

Thank you.

BTW, gas tank is now coated and primed. 2 wheels ready to paint, 3 more coming soon. Visor ready to cover, seat is on the way. Tires getting ordered next week. Won't be too much longer now!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this effort. Pics added to album and more coming soon.
Daddysearly30pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:49 AM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: Oohga horn screen replacement

I had the same puzzle and what I ended up doing was that I put a bead of silicone around the rim of the bell, then I pressed the screen onto the bead. I weighed it down with a small rock for 24 hours to let it cure. Then I assembled the bell to the motor housing. Seems to be working for now.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Oohga horn screen replacement

The horn screen on most projectors is convex in shape. You can use a piece of 2" PVC pipe to make the screen fit. With the screen inverted and supported by the pipe to increase the shape of the screen, press into the center of the screen. This decreases the circumference of the screen which allows it to fit into the projector bell. Then fold a rag and place over the raised portion of the screen to dissipate the pressure as you depress the screen using a block of wood. Once the screen is pushed back into a flatter state, the circumference of the screen will swell and friction fit inside the projector.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote