Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #21
1Tudoor

Default Re: rebuilt engines-not mine CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in CT View Post
Hey guys, I have to tell you that I am with Don/WI here. While it is OK to be a little skeptical and a lot cautious, nobody has any idea of what the actual condition of these engines are. The seller says he has them on engine stands, and that they are running. Well, with a running engine, if you have any experience at all, you can tell one heck of a lot by listening to it, racing the idle for a bit, and watching the exhaust pipe...
Since there is no "legal" definition of what a rebuilt Model A engine actually is, it is quite possible that these engines have had a top job and a bearing clearance adjustment. That could be done for the price asked here.
I am not familiar with the seller in this case, but he lives about 2 miles from me. If I were in the market, I would certainly venture up the hill to see what he has. Gad! And I thought I was a grumpy old man...!
Certainly agree w/ you--a running engine is a huge judgement factor along w/ a few quick checks ---compression , condition of plugs , look for new gaskets , oil clarity , leaks, look for any signs of moisture inside of breather cap unless this is a short dry run w/o radiator which might deter me .
1Tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #22
Mitch//pa
BANNED

A freshly rebuilt engine and a rebuilt engine are two different things...
I would listen to it run, Ck end play, leak down test, drop the pan and pull a couple caps, look at the valves through the spark plug hole with a scope... Could be a great deal for 2 motors

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-13-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #23
ronn

It's no wonder that people are reluctant to post once in a while. You guys are ripping him a new one when you have absolutely no idea what this person has for documentation. If I lived in the area and was in the market for an engine I would at least have a look and see what he has for documentation. Geeeez. My two cents worth. Don/WI

Don, couldnt agree with you more and sorry I posted this. Didnt expect the reaction it got and just figured, maybe somebody might need a reasonably priced engine............sheesh!

ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #24
Roger V

He didn't say he rebuilt them for $1275. That's what he's asking for them. He may have gotten a deal or has had them for years and just wants to get rid of them. Then again they may not be worth $1275 or even less. Until someone gets the specifics, it's just unknown. ronn was just letting us know that they were available in case someone was interested and wanted to follow up!
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:18 PM   #25
Bbhf

FYI. I have one of Daves motors. I have found him to be up front, fair honest. I have spent much time with him as he shared information and advice. I will call the engine I have Refreshed. Valve job, bearings reset, new gaskets, hone and new rings, valves adujusted etc: I also paid a very fair price for the motor. I was able to hear it run. I also got some extras with it. I.e.: generator, water pump, distributor. Thanks to those who spoke up to go see him before a judgment is made. I also met Dennis who placed the ad for Dave and found him to be upfront as well. Skip kern
Bbhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

Even if it was a good running original engine that was never touched, that could be better than some of the "rebuilt" engines I've seen. Just like working on generators, I prefer ones that haven't been touched, because there's less chance of Mickey Mouse repairs inside.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #27
Quigley1930

I don't know. When y'all go to buy a used car do you drop the pan, do a compression test check calve clearances, remove bearing caps, etc. How many of you would allow a buyer to do that.

Sewall Tyler
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:28 PM   #28
Mitch//pa
BANNED

A used car is different from an engine on a test stand
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:50 PM   #29
daveymc29

They run, if interested go hear them, if not why complain about getting yenced? Seems someone may be tired of looking at them and needs the space. Could be a crook, but if he'll run it for you at $1275 what's the rub? Don't buy it if you don't trust your judgement. If I were the seller and you wanted to pull the crank, have at it. But give me $1275 before you pulled the first bolt. Now a compression test I'd allow, if you had the know how to do it. Otherwise it would be time for you to leave my shop.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #30
George Miller

The deal is he is calling them rebuilt, not fair to the one that buys them if it is not true.Just call them what they are. The price might be good, but call them what they are.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #31
hale1776

I live in CT and needed an engine and have few funds bought a non running short block in PA got it back here that cost 600. Tore it down to bare block and its now getting rebuilt that will be 2000.00. Had this popped 2 months ago I would be standing next to that engine listening and looking. Some have money and some do not those that do not take more chances than those that do. It's a fact of life. Maybe these engines will take someones "A" thru 50 parades and weekend trips that would not have happened if they cost 4000.00. They don't have to run forever just long enough to outlive us. Which they will.
hale1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #32
ronn

well said hale, and that is why I posted them on here- they are for some of us and certainly not for all of us............................!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #33
ursus

I recall an old guy that sold "rebuilt" Model A engines some years ago. He had bought out a number of NOS and NORS parts inventories over time and had amassed quite a supply of engine parts that cost him pennies on the dollar. His engines were always sound and varied in price based on his assessment of their worth but were always relatively low in cost. Many had good Babbitt coming in the door so he simply refit the bearings and replaced what needed replacement, bored cylinders for new pistons, replaced the valves, etc. He also did his own babbitting of main bearings if they needed it. He didn't issue a guarantee but you could trust that he would take care of any problems that arose. That kind of business model is pretty much gone now and it reflects a different time and attitude. Nowadays, you can get a written guarantee on picture perfect $3500 engine rebuild that might blow up in the first 1000 miles. These days, cheap only invites suspicion.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote