Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
Bud Man

Default Pulling the Engine This Week

Just finished doing the preparation necessary for pulling the engine and trans as a unit early next week. I've done all the obvious stuff such as stripping the engine itself, removing the linkages, electrical, floorboards, clutch and brake pedals, etc. Dropped the muffler as well, as it will be replaced, anyway. First Model A, so I have been reading up on the process, but have a question regarding whether or not the oil pan and clutch/brake pedal shaft is best removed or not. With the rad and headlight bar out of the way, it looks like a straight shot except for those two possible obstructions. Done my share of engine removals and installations, but none on an A, so not sure what I'll run into. Any advice or "watchouts" would be appreciated.
Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
DJ S

Default Re: Pulling the Engine This Week

It sounds like you shouldn't have any issues. The process is pretty straightforward. Just watch out for the paint...
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
redmodelt

I would pull the brake and clutch pedal, just less things to hang up and get in the way.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
Gary WA

Trans separate from engine. easier! watch out for Throttle Linkage hitting fire wall,I'd remove first.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
dpson

I just pulled and replaced the engine in my 1931 Roadster and there is no need to remove the oil pan, distributor, generator, etc. I removed the starter and distributor cap. I pulled the just engine, not the transmission, so I can't comment on removing the pedals. I used an engine lift with a leveler which was attached to the round lifting rings that screw into the spark plug holes. The leveler was especially helpful in putting the engine back in and getting it lined up with the transmission input shaft. If you don't pull the tranny you will need to support it with a jack to help get it lined up with the engine and clutch. It wasn't a bad job, took a couple hours with a helper (my brother) that made it go much easier.
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #6
nhusa

Just remember that the motor mounts on the transmission may be a bit tight because of frame sag.

Getting it back in can be a bit of fun if you don’t have a frame spreader
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
Bud Man

Thanks for all the knowledge! Should the oil pan be dropped first?
Old 07-29-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
Bud Man

Just saw the new replies, so I will keep an eye out for tight mounts, and I won’t remove the pan. Excellent stuff! Now all I have to do is find a good engine rebuilder!!
Old 07-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #9
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Man View Post
Thanks for all the knowledge! Should the oil pan be dropped first?
No no
Old 07-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
Gary WA

Quote:
Just saw the new replies, so I will keep an eye out for tight mounts, and I won’t remove the pan. Excellent stuff! Now all I have to do is find a good engine rebuilder!!
Check with your local Model A Club! And get a loan. Ha!!
Old 07-29-2018, 07:14 PM   #11
Bill in NJ

Maybe you should check to see if the rear motor mount brackets are cracked, broken ??
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #12
taffrail

Remove the crank pulley so it don't get broke.
taffrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:25 PM   #13
Bud Man

Motor mounts look good, but not worried about the crank pulley as it has a wobble as it is. Know what you're talking about on that loan for the rebuild, though - getting ugly, and I haven't even gone through the trans yet. It needs some attention as occasionally it will not engage second or third gear, and the only remedy was to bring it to a stop and start over. Likely to go through the entire driveline before I'm done.😩😩. It's only money, right? Right?
Old 07-30-2018, 04:52 AM   #14
Bruce of MN

If you are pulling the engine only, block up the trans before you unbolt it. I used a 2nd jack, as I recall.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #15
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning Bud Man, since you are in Texas you might want to contact Ron Kelley as he is an experienced engine builder. If you are not going to need to rebuild the transmission, you might wish to leave it in the car. Also you will want to remove the throttle quadrant from the back of the engine. It is held on by two bolts and will almost always hang up your engine on the firewall when you are removing the engine. It has been known to make grown men utter bad words! Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
Bud Man

Ernie,

Thanks for the suggestion on the linkage - removed it, and will disassemble and repaint.

Talked to Ron today, and will visit with him shortly. Thanks again to all who have jumped in on this one!

Bud
Old 07-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #17
Big hammer

Quote:
Motor mounts look good, but not worried about the crank pulley as it has a wobble as it is. Know what you're talking about on that loan for the rebuild, though - getting ugly, and I haven't even gone through the trans yet. It needs some attention as occasionally it will not engage second or third gear, and the only remedy was to bring it to a stop and start over. Likely to go through the entire driveline before I'm done.😩😩. It's only money, right? Right?
It’s not just money, it’s the time to redoing to make it right!
Old 07-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #18
1955cj5

If you do leave the transmission in the truck you can put a 2 x 4 across the cab bottom rails, side to side, and support it with a strap. That way you can move the truck around when the engine is out.

You will need the jack as mentioned above initially anyway to adjust the height when pulling the engine.

You will need to take the shift tower off, but it sounds like it may need work anyway from your shift problem description.

Make a cardboard cover for the tranny cause you know you will drop something in there if you leave it in the truck..

There will be about 1/2 quart residual oil in the dip tray so take the pan off with the engine upright, or be ready.....
Old 07-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #19
Terry, NJ

Pretty well covers it! It is not necessary to remove the transmission when taking the engine out and no need to remove the oil pan, in fact it's probably easier if you don't, less mess. Going back in, check motor mounts, I think it's mostly the front that causes trouble. One rather important thing is to indicate the face where the bell housing and the and the fly wheel housing bolt together, it should be within .006. While it's out, check your rod bearings and your center main. also make sure your oil screen is clear. On one of my engines, the screen was about 80% clogged and when I checked the center main, it was cracked and came out in pieces. Good luck!!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #20
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Motor mounts look good, but not worried about the crank pulley as it has a wobble as it is. Know what you're talking about on that loan for the rebuild, though - getting ugly, and I haven't even gone through the trans yet. It needs some attention as occasionally it will not engage second or third gear, and the only remedy was to bring it to a stop and start over. Likely to go through the entire driveline before I'm done.����. It's only money, right? Right?

If the fan pully has a wobble, it could be a two piece pulley. Which means you could take if off before or at the time you pull the engine. I think mine had a pin in it that would come out and the pulley would come off leaving the center piece on the shaft. Taking it off would get it out of your way when you pull the engine and would save it from getting broken (if you want to keep it).

Yes it is only money but like I tell my wife, I could be out playing golf every day and spend more money.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote