Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default Upholatery Question

One of my coupes is pretty much a survivor. It has pretty good upholstery for the most part but the kick panels (cowl panel) are pretty well beaten up. I'm thinking of getting some heavy cardboard and remaking them. While kicking that idea around I noticed that the doors could use new backing and thought why not just remove the upholstery from the door and put it onto new backing material? Seems easy enough until I went out searching for some heavy cardboard type sheet to cut the backing out of. Where so I find something that doesn't cost as much as having the care interior redone? A few pieces and I could have it looking okay without looking like a "who done it" restoration. Just get rid of some of the looseness and cracked spots. Any thoughts?
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Upholatery Question

how about something like this. https://www.homedepot.com/s/hard%2520board?NCNI-5

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
CarlG

Back in the dark ages, I re-did all the panels on my 52 Merc, using 1/8" masonite (tempered hardboard) as the backing. It was easy to work with, and more importantly for a High School kid, inexpensive.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
duke36

try Bay Trim upholstery supplies, Oakland, Ca.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
29spcoupe

Davey, if you go to any auto upholstery shop, ask for 'panel board'. It is like heavy cardboard and is meant to be used as door and kick panel backing. It comes in 4 x 8 sheets and can be sewn through. You can also cement the cloth/vinyl to it. John
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29spcoupe View Post
Davey, if you go to any auto upholstery shop, ask for 'panel board'. It is like heavy cardboard and is meant to be used as door and kick panel backing. It comes in 4 x 8 sheets and can be sewn through. You can also cement the cloth/vinyl to it. John
Ditto what John says. Any auto upholstery shop had the "waterproof" panel board. Usually comes in two different sizes. I recently found a vinyl that mimics the "correct" color and texture for the kick panels. The only issue is sewing the door panel door pockets. I'm a seasoned auto trimmer and could not fit the door panels under my sewing machine to sew the perimeter stitch around the pockets. I did however found a local tent and awning shop that was happy to sew it up for me for $35.00. Looks just like Henry made it. The kick panels came out perf as well.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
aermotor

I used 6061-T6 / .025 aluminum on 2 cars, of course, it has to all be glued as no way to sew through it, so the side pockets will be an issue. I glued 1/4" foam to the aluminum and glued the fabric edges to the back side and let the fabric "float" on the foam.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #8
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Back in the dark ages, I re-did all the panels on my 52 Merc, using 1/8" masonite (tempered hardboard) as the backing. It was easy to work with, and more importantly for a High School kid, inexpensive.
Got some masonite at Lowe's, under $15 for a 4X8, looks better then the cardboard I was using.
Made a homemade hole finder so I could put the clips in, made it real easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180217_125842.jpg (50.9 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 20180217_142659.jpg (62.0 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 20180310_182008.jpg (62.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20180324_184556.jpg (56.6 KB, 161 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
Cool Hand Lurker

You can get the real stuff from www.automotiveinteriors.com for $15 per panel, 32x48x1/8, waterproof, trim to fit.

I have bought seat covers from them, factory quality, very inexpensive too.

https://www.automotiveinteriors.com/...-p/cowl-dp.htm
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #10
Keith True

I have bought four sets of the pre-cut panels from LeBaron-Bonney.Just the plain panels,no covering.When they are pre-cut to size UPS can deliver them for the normal fees.Uncut panels are oversize,and that surcharge puts the shipping price way up.I actually went to LB to just buy panel stock,(I live near them)and the girl there suggested I buy the pre-cuts.I didn't know they did that there.Turns out that for what I needed I would have to get into a second panel for it.I would have nearly a whole panel left over to store,lose,ruin,give away,whatever.It was going to cost me the same,or a little more to buy the stock.That was a no-brainer,I bought the pre-cuts.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:08 PM   #11
burner31

Pre-cut panels for my 4-door and we're pushing close to 300 with shipping.
I'm saving myself well over $200 by doing it myself.
It takes a lot more time to install and it's a lot more work but what else we got to do.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #12
jhowes

I have been trying to find a source for the upholstery for my 31 two-door. These materials are not available at the local sewing supply places. Such as Mulhair, any ideas? Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #13
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
I have been trying to find a source for the upholstery for my 31 two-door. These materials are not available at the local sewing supply places. Such as Mulhair, any ideas? Jack
You will not be able to find anything at the local fabric stores. Try an auto upholstery or furniture upholstery shop. It will for the most part not be cheap. Last fall I was able to find a simulated Bedford cord and matching body cloth from Keystone Bros. They are a wholesale supplier to the trade. The msrp would be about $38.00 A yard which is far less than L/B. The average Joe is better off buying from Classtique,L/B or Cartouch. IMHO
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #14
1930deluxe

If you live near Minneapolis Minnesota there is a company on the north side that sells panel board. A couple different sizes.
1930deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:12 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930deluxe View Post
If you live near Minneapolis Minnesota there is a company on the north side that sells panel board. A couple different sizes.
Would that be METRO RUBBER?
I know they used to sell embossed panels, such as the roof panels I need for my 1949 Chevy truck, and also the embossed kick panels, but the last time I checked was about 12 years ago, and at that time they said they dropped the panels and only sell rubber parts.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #16
desotoguy

Find a local upholstery shop that does auto. Tell them what you want and they can include it on their next order. My local area has truck delivery from the supplier to the shops almost daily. Next option would be to do a Google search for "Upholstery Supply" company. Luckily I have a supply house about 45 minutes away and they sell to anyone who comes in and are very helpful to those who may not know exactly what to ask for.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote