Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
oldtin1

Default 59ab into a 33 BB truck?

I have read several threads here and on the H.A.M.B about the length of the A and B engines being longer than the v-8s, including this post ( https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ruck&showall=1 )that references the rear mount and driveshaft length as the changes Henry made to accomodate both engines.

Last friday I attempted to put the 59ab and truck 4spd that I had taken from a 35 1-1/2 tonner into my 33 BB chassis. With the engine and trans bolted to the trans crossmember the engine sets back to far to reach the front mounts. If I relocate the engine forward enough to line up the front mounts the crank bolt will interfere with the crank guide/perch clamp.

I can only guess that the 33 v-8 truck had a different trans crossmember than the 4 cyl trucks or some kind of spacer to account for the location difference. I think that moving the engine forward the referenced 1-5/8" would clear the firewall, but I need to see how Ford did this in the big trucks.

Anyone have images of the trans/mount/crossmember of a stock v-8 engined truck with a 4 speed trans?

Anyone have images of a 59ab or an 8ba engine in a 32-34bb truck?
oldtin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Richard (EV8G)

Default Re: 59ab into a 33 BB truck?

Strictly a longshot... the rear trans mount for the 33-34 112"WB chassis is reversable. Maybe also the case for the BB???

BTW: There are some U-shaped adaptors available to install the 37-48 engines in the 33-34 chassis. The "ears" on the later water pumps are higher
and the side-to-side spacing is also a little different; the adaptor takes care of both issues.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
oldtin1

Thanks for the reply Richard. Unfortunately the big truck trans mount isn't reversable, but I do appreciate the info on the front mounts. I compared pics of the 21 stud water neck/mount and thought I may be able to fab up an adapter from the 59ab pumps to the frame, once I figure out how to locate the back of the engine. The mounts you describe sound similar to the later merc mounts in a way.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
RMR&C

Are you using the BB truck trans or the pass/pu trans? Trans lengths are different.....I took an 8ba out of a 34 bb awhile back and don't recall any adapters....just some blocks to raise it up.
RMR&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
RMR&C

Here are a couple of pics, this is a BB chassis with the stock engine.....looks like the bellhousing (hogshead ) is longer than the later ones. Exactly which parts are you using? There are many combinations.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rusty 022.jpg (77.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg rusty 023.jpg (81.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
jimTN

Not sure of what you actually have but can say that you have to have a crank single pulley and a hand crank bushing/top spring mount that is sawed off where the hand crank goes thru it. I have a 59AB 100 hp in my 34 and used merc spacers as well as the single pulley.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
oldtin1

Ok, you fellas figured out my mess. The trans I have is shorter than the trans/hogshead combo that RMR&C posted a picture of above.
Do you happen to know the length of the trans/hogshead combo above?

This is the trans that I was trying to use. It fit well in the 35 with the 59ab and the spacers under the front mounts. In this case someone used pipe nipples for engine mount spacers, didn't look good, but I guess it worked.

This is the trans that I was trying to use, it definetly looks shorter than the one you posted.

JimTN, I have a single pully for the engine, and I think the crank saddle from the 35 already has the loop cut off. I figure if I make some 'U' shaped spacers like Richard mentioned, to hold the front of the engine up to the right height I should be OK.
Now I just have to figure out how far forward to move the engine.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Richard (EV8G)

The U-shaped adaptor/spacers are available from All Ford Parts in Campbell CA. You cannot make them for what they cost. Yes, they are similar concept as Mercury BUT are not near as bulky and ugly...

I need to look into the transmission mount deal on 33-34 BB's. Am curious to
see how they handled the differing lengths of the engine/trans B vs V8? I am
sure it is all in the parts books...
Old 07-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #9
oldtin1

Richard, I still have the 4cyl bell from my truck, its quite a bit shorter than the v-8 hogshead that RMR&C showed. Now I'm wondering if the trans input shaft length was longer on the v-8s or was that all taken up by the clutch stack up.
The more years I spend messing with these old cars and trucks, the more I realize how much I don't know.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
RMR&C

34 bb trans case length...9 1/2 inches
34 bb hogshead.....5 1/2 inches for a total of 15". Not an exact measurement, but close. I am assuming the V8 and 4 cyl trucks use the same trans, but I don't have a 4 cyl truck to compare to.....