Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #1
Admiral

Default Two Transmission Questions

I came across four flathead-era transmissions some months ago and had a couple questions about them.

1) One of the cases appears to be from 1932. Its serial number is 18-2439, which I’d assume means it’s a VERY early one. This case has no inspection plate; it’s just flat cast iron where the opening would normally be. All the other Ford transmissions of this era that I’ve seen have the little cover at the top that’s held on with two screws. Does the lack of an opening make this case special in any particular way?

2) I have a side-load transmission with the serial number 99A-231748. If I’m reading the charts correctly it should be a late 1941 Mercury box. My question is this: It came with a 15-tooth main drive gear. What model(s) does this apply to? I have Mac VanPelt’s transmission bible and in the back where he lists various part numbers only one type of main drive appears to have 15 teeth. This sounds unique, but is it?

Thanks!
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: Two Transmission Questions

very low serial number indicating early 32 V8

15 tooth input shaft would be a commercial trans would have mated to a 29 tooth cluster.
count the number of teeth on the cluster gear (lower shaft-end closest to input shaft)
commercial trans would have been in a pick up, 1/2 ton panel, sedan delivery
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
George/Maine

The side cover has a 4" sleeve for 2 nd and 3rd and if you can get a top cover with 4" fork. If little lower geared in first that's ok. This will NOT affect your top speed.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
15 tooth input shaft would be a commercial trans would have mated to a 29 tooth cluster.
count the number of teeth on the cluster gear (lower shaft-end closest to input shaft)
commercial trans would have been in a pick up, 1/2 ton panel, sedan delivery
Looking at my notes, that main-drive gear (part number 022A-7017) is paired with a 29-tooth cluster just as you said. Intermediate gear has 22 teeth and the first-reverse slider has 29.

As for the cluster (29-24-18 teeth), I can't find a part number on it. In the back of VanPelt's book it looks like it could be part number 022A-7113A, 022A-7113B or 21C-7113. Are these all interchangeable? Is there any way to positively identify which one it could be?
Old 02-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
alanwoodieman

the differences are in the thrust surface of the cluster gear, different thrust washers on the out put end and yes they all will work as long as you have the correct thrust washer

022 I think is the designate for 60 hp V8
21C would be commercial
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
Mart

I also have a non inspection plate trans. I also believe it to be an early 1932 V8. Mine has some sort of grease fitting on the side of the bell, does yours?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #7
svm99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I also have a non inspection plate trans. I also believe it to be an early 1932 V8. Mine has some sort of grease fitting on the side of the bell, does yours?

Mart.
It sounds like you have the earlier of the 2 cases, I've only seen one of Rt hand grease cup location cases though have owned a few of the top grease cup location cases.

Post a pic if you can, it would be interesting to see.

Thanks Paul
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
Hoop

1. I always view '32 V8 transmissions as being special since they are different and would be a prize for someone restoring a '32 ... especially if their title showed 18-2439. Mart, the grease fittings I've seen were there to lube the throw out bearing.

2. 15 tooth MDGs with 29 tooth clusters are not unusual, and they are not just "commercial". In 1940 for example, they would appear in anything from the V8-60 to a pickup truck as well as passenger cars. If the buyer lived in hilly country, the lower 1st and 2nd gears would help. If he were a farmer, the same. A great application, even today, is when a 3.54 rear is installed, the 15/29 reduces the need for so much clutch slippage to get going and still gives a straight drive in 3rd. This latter application may explain why it was installed in a Mercury(99A) ... heavy car with 3.54. Good match.

Last edited by Hoop; 02-16-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:36 PM   #9
Mart

I had a good trawl through the pics on the computer and found these.

The serial number is 18-292xx

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Anybody have a 32 trans with serial number 18-24762? Would love to meet that person!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #11
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Anybody have a 32 trans with serial number 18-24762? Would love to meet that person!
Any particular reason?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:46 PM   #12
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Any particular reason?
Cause it would match my frame!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Cause it would match my frame!
B&S, it's very possible that that guy with that transmission would like to meet you to get your frame .

FYI, Just got your recent PM and your request/interest in a part that I may have is so noted.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #14
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
the differences are in the thrust surface of the cluster gear, different thrust washers on the out put end and yes they all will work as long as you have the correct thrust washer

022 I think is the designate for 60 hp V8
21C would be commercial
Ah yes, the 60-horse engine. I didn't think about those ... Cross-referencing a Ford body-style chart it looks like the 022 prefix corresponds to a 1940 model with that small V8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post

Mart.
Nope, no grease fitting that I can see, just a bit of rust on the case and that super-low serial number. Now, the other toploader I have, which should be from a 1934 Ford (Serial No. 18-898,709), has a grease fitting attached to the inspection cover and a flexible tube running down to the throw-out bearing. I've not seen this arrangement before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
1. I always view '32 V8 transmissions as being special since they are different and would be a prize for someone restoring a '32 ... especially if their title showed 18-2439. Mart, the grease fittings I've seen were there to lube the throw out bearing.

2. 15 tooth MDGs with 29 tooth clusters are not unusual, and they are not just "commercial". In 1940 for example, they would appear in anything from the V8-60 to a pickup truck as well as passenger cars. If the buyer lived in hilly country, the lower 1st and 2nd gears would help. If he were a farmer, the same. A great application, even today, is when a 3.54 rear is installed, the 15/29 reduces the need for so much clutch slippage to get going and still gives a straight drive in 3rd. This latter application may explain why it was installed in a Mercury(99A) ... heavy car with 3.54. Good match.
Wouldn't that be crazy to meet the guy with the '32 Ford No. 18-2439! Stranger things have happened, I suppose.

I'll have to keep the 15/29 combination in mind if I ever run across some nice 3.54 rear-end gears or if anyone else needs a transmission with lower first and intermediate ratios.

Quote:
What are the odds of this happening? Boy, I'd love to know!